5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAI, what did you end up installing and why?

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who's got the best price on the ram air intake from Mopar the guy on eBay has make an offer but he won't take 700
I paid $575.00 with all my discounts. But that was when I worked in the parts dept for a local dealer.
Also for the look and because it’s under warranty and has 7 year unlimited warranty as well.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I paid $575.00 with all my discounts. But that was when I worked in the parts dept for a local dealer.
Also for the look and because it’s under warranty and has 7 year unlimited warranty as well.
I’m going to apply for a parts job at my local dealer next week. Then I’ll order the part and, after it comes in and I get it installed, I’ll quit🙂

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Believe it or not i literally quit a week after I got the cai, the rear step for mft and the Mopar tonneau top for my Limited as I was offered a position back in my field. As a employee there are special coupons that really helped. All 3 parts installed was $1450.00 so I understand. I’ve since replace the tonneau top with a BakFlip due to hail damage. There are other parts I should have purchased before I left

NYKBOB

Reaction score
I just installed the K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Air Intake. I'd used K&N before on a corvette and was very satisfied. Reasonable price, looks good, nice sound, and reported performance boost (15 hp and 34 lbft torque). I just installed it this evening so I had a very limited test drive. I did feel a little more spirited, but that could be wishful thinking. I'll know more in a few days,
IMG_2404.JPG
638754421.116539.jpg

madkins1121

Reaction score
I just put a AFE GT Momentum in mine yesterday.
9c40c06f1d12fe0296ec7a879141e054.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rebel TR8R

Reaction score
For anyone running a vararam, can you provide an insight. Are you able to have a billet technology catch can or will the intake be in the way? And would have to get the mishimoto since it’s located next to the fan?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with varaam simply because i'm also considering an aftermarket hood with functional scoops

popcenator

Reaction score
For anyone running a vararam, can you provide an insight. Are you able to have a billet technology catch can or will the intake be in the way? And would have to get the mishimoto since it’s located next to the fan?
The BT catch can works fine with the Vararam.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Rebel TR8R

Reaction score
E28D697F-7842-4B90-84A0-9D90026E9DD0.jpeg
I went with the Vararam for the looks and the extra space created for future mod/upgrade. Just like what everyone has said, no real improvements or gains especially if lifted, wider stance, and tire size. But a subtle change to how it breathes. Sounds good with the Borla Atak.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
The more I read , the more I’m seeing that CAI’s aren’t providing any increase in performance. So if that’s the case , what’s the point?

I think I’m better off just going big and getting a supercharger with a big intercooler and headers. Expensive , yes. But I’d love my RAM to run 12’s in the 1/4 mile.
Seems many do the vararam or mopar cai to free up the space for a dual battery setup. Other cai that still occupy that space do seem pointless from what I'm reading as well. But I get it if someone thinks that afe cai is cool looking or sounds awesome. I think it looks pretty cool as well. I personally just need a reason or some benefit, and I'm not getting a solid vibe there's much benefit, and have no reason lol. Some have said there are mpg gains if you're an aggressive driving style person. And I can believe that actually.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Rebel TR8R

Reaction score
The more I read , the more I’m seeing that CAI’s aren’t providing any increase in performance. So if that’s the case , what’s the point?

I think I’m better off just going big and getting a supercharger with a big intercooler and headers. Expensive , yes. But I’d love my RAM to run 12’s in the 1/4 mile.
In my opinion, if you’re keeping ride height, wheel and tire size relatively factory specs, and you only do performance mods, you’ll see improvements. I won’t see any improvements because of my other non performance mods. But I got it because of that extra space, the look it gives under the hood, and it does slightly change the sound. Also, my build isn’t for the strip nor to get better mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread