5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin Filter

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I see no reason for doing this.
You do not need to disassembly the dash/center bezel to get to the cabin filter.

Its three easy steps.
1. Open Glove Compartment Door.
2. Remove the tension tether.
3. Push inward on both side of door to release glove compt stops and pull door out at you.

The cabin filter should be right behind it.

Just providing what is given in the service manual.

1543267541782.png

Glad there is an easier way.

kretsebr

Reaction score
That would be the LOWER glove box door, correct?

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006737 miles.

Yes, Truck Owner Manuel pages 496 thru 499.

Just make sure you secure the tether, it will snap back, its on a spring loaded return.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see no reason for doing this.
You do not need to disassembly the dash/center bezel to get to the cabin filter.

Its three easy steps.
1. Open Glove Compartment Door.
2. Remove the tension tether.
3. Push inward on both side of door to release glove compt stops and pull door out at you.

The cabin filter should be right behind it.

Going to do this filter swap this weekend and hope it is just this easy!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
It isn't quite as easy as the manual makes it out to be. You will feel like you are going to break the thing and it will bend things a little. I can only assume things will straight back out over time. It's an absolutely Horrible design.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Do you push in on the top sides of the door or down by where it hinges? It seems like the top right comes out pretty easy, but the top left stop seems like it has a long way before it can clear.

Ram1984

Reaction score
It’s the same process as the fourth gens,,,only the glove box is much stiffer and a pain to remove. I changed my cabin filter out to a K&N and thought I was going to snap the tabs off of the glove box. Definitely not a 2 minute job like my last Ram!

Brent T

Reaction score
Does the k and n keep the dust out better? My cab is terrible, I’m on dirt roads all the time and it gets thick in the cab.

When you open the rear doors, there is a vent in the rocker panel, what is it for ?

Ram1984

Reaction score
I believe that the K&n filters better..I am at almost 8,000 miles and have only recently noticed the interior getting dusty,, due to pollen etc coming inside from opening sunroof/windows/rear slider. The best part is you can just clean it and reinstall.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got around to changing my cabin air filter this last weekend. The lower glovebox removal is a bit tricky but it was an easy 10 minute job. The stock fiter is pretty flimsy with not much pleats. Highly recommend changing to an aftermarket filter. I went with one that is charcoal activated and has around twice the pleats compared to the stock filter. Very happy with the results and how it is performing.

RAMREB

Reaction score
I changed mine with about 19,000 miles on it as well this weekend. It was an easy job unhooked the cable from the glove box bent the two tabs in and pulled the whole thing out. I was shocked on how nasty my filter was I will definitely be doing at a sooner interval then the recommended 20k .

Rocketman

Reaction score
That would be the LOWER glove box door, correct?

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006737 miles.
That is correct, the lower glove box door. It is explained in the manual....step by step. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago and it took me about 15 minutes tops.

Hunts99

Reaction score
Like everyone has said, it was a fairly quick process to change the filter (just a bit tricky at times). Here is a photo of the factory and the replacement filter. I was really surprised with how dirty it was after ~12k miles.

Attachments

• 20190618_181327.jpg
    20190618_181327.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 381

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't even bother letting the dealership change it out for you. You'll end up paying $40-50 for it. Tricky part is just pulling the glove box off.

RBRK

Reaction score
Changed mine today.. Don’t bend the stops in, that’s not easy, they don’t flex really. Open he glove box and pull out on the bottom hinge at the angle that the glove box stops. Very simple and you can leave the cable attached and not damage the plastic near the stops. 5 minute job. To reinstall tip,the glove box to get the stops to rest where they go and then one side at a time pop the bottom hinge in.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Related question: Does anyone know if the in cabin air filter is bypassed when in recirculate mode or does it filter all the time no matter if on fresh or recirculate?

RAMREB

Reaction score
Related question: Does anyone know if the in cabin air filter is bypassed when in recirculate mode or does it filter all the time no matter if on fresh or recirculate?

I am not sure but I constantly run my truck on circulate and the filter was very dirty so I would assume yes.

mch

Reaction score
I changed my filter at 6,000 miles and it was pretty dirty. It may be a bit overkill, but I'll probably start changing both my intake and cabin filters at every 5K. In Las Vegas, the air quality isn't that good and I do drive in some dusty areas / dirt roads.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed mine today.. Don’t bend the stops in, that’s not easy, they don’t flex really. Open he glove box and pull out on the bottom hinge at the angle that the glove box stops. Very simple and you can leave the cable attached and not damage the plastic near the stops. 5 minute job. To reinstall tip,the glove box to get the stops to rest where they go and then one side at a time pop the bottom hinge in.
I learned that too. I removed the soft open "cable", let the lower glove box sit open, pulled the box until it popped loose from the hinge, then worked it side to side until I got the whole box out. I pinched the two tabs inwards (the rear of the tab - closer to the firewall - is what clips the cover onto the housing) and pulled the cover off. I put in the new filter (make sure the arrow points downward) and reversed the steps. The only thing I did different on re-installation was to put the glove box on the hinge first (rotated further down than normal open) so that it went onto the hinge easy. Then I rotated the glove box into place. The rear stops will slide past the dash and into place easier than trying to snap the hinge back together IMO. Then I re-attached the string/cable.

I replaced mine at 9500 miles and it was pretty dirty with a lot of dark on the filter pleats and some leaves. I'm not a Fram fan but I installed the Fram Fresh Breeze cabin air filter (CF11671). It has activated carbon and Arm & Hammer baking soda.

It is not bypassed. The ventilation air supply is switched to in-cabin air but still passes through your cabin air filter before being pushed back out through the vents.

Tarpie

Reaction score
Brought the truck in for 20k service the other day. Estimated bill was over $300! So I went through line-by-line and it turns out they wanted $200 for cabin air filter replacement! Glad I refused that service.

Thanks to this thread I replaced the filter for less than $20. And I'm glad I did. As the picture shows the filter was filthy and had managed to catch a bunch of seeds.

I did not detach the tension tether. I pushed the right stop at the top of the glove box and got it past the catch. Once I did that it was a little easier to get at the left stop halfway up the glove box and get it past the catch. Once it was past the stops, I popped it out of the hinges and rotated it so the box was resting on the floor with the tether still attached at the top.

Took a few minutes this time, but should be super quick next time now that I know the procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread