5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin Filter

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pinching the box to pull the stops in far enough to drop it wasn't working for me (felt like I was going to break it) so I did something similar to the bottom video (but it wasn't as easy as what they showed). I held the box about half way between shut and full open when I did it. It didn't feel like it was going to break but it definitely took some effort to get the box out of the lower hinge.

Thanks for reply, but which direction did you pull it? will give another try later today.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, for removing the box just open to almost full open and then just pull straight out with one hand on each end of the glove box, will take a little force. When putting back in I did something similar to the bottom video. I can do it in less then 5 minutes now.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea, for removing the box just open to almost full open and then just pull straight out with one hand on each end of the glove box, will take a little force. When putting back in I did something similar to the bottom video. I can do it in less then 5 minutes now.

Thanks, i got it out yesterday with some force like you said but guess what, i ordered wrong once from Amazon, Amazon fitting tool say it work but it is not. Anyway already returned and reordered the Fram FreshBreeze air filter, should be here tomorrow.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, i got it out yesterday with some force like you said but guess what, i ordered wrong once from Amazon, Amazon fitting tool say it work but it is not. Anyway already returned and reordered the Fram FreshBreeze air filter, should be here tomorrow.
Well at least you know who to do it now, I actually broke one of the little clips on the filter access cover and had to order another one so I had to take the glove box off second time to replace it when it came in.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but which direction did you pull it? will give another try later today.
For putting it back in I did it almost in reverse: pressed the glovebox hinge back in, rolled the box in past the stops, then re-attached the soft-release strap.

I originally tried to feed the stops back in then re-attach the hinge but I reached my comfort level on pressure before it snapped back into place so opted to put the hinge back in then roll it shut. The part where the stops have to go back into the dash was also at my limit of comfort too so there was no quick and easy way (for me) to just whip through it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got that cabin filter too and I've been very happy with it. I've got 14K on it and am planning to change it out at 20K (next oil change).

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the Fram Fresh filter work well for you?
Yes thanks again for the correct product #. I ordered 1 through amazon and they sent me 2 by accident ( insert smirk face emoji ).

*Installation- Getting to it was kind of a PITA like many have already stated. I had about 19K miles on my truck when changing out the original filter (which was filthy).

*Impressions- Honestly I can't say I notice a difference after installing the new Febreeze brand cabin filter. I definitely did not notice any new scent in the truck. But at least i know I am cleaning the circulating air with a fresh new filter...
Thanks again

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is actually "Fresh Breeze" and I did not notice any scent (and did not expect to). I figured that the filter, charcoal, and baking soda couldn't hurt the filtration process.

Kob0583

Reaction score
I want to change mine because unlike me Honda outside odors seem to come into the truck a lot more so I’m hoping a better filter will cut that down, still happened in the Honda but not nearly as bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks post 34 and 38 plus the forum for removal via the hinge. The person who wrote the manual never changed the filter. It's either that or FCA wants you to get frustrated and have the dealer change the cabin filter. It's 52 degrees outside and the glove box was not compressing enough to remove it as per the manual. I don't know if it was 100 degrees if it would be more forgiving. I used a STP brand #CAF1864P as that is what Auto Zone had in stock, 14 months and 14,000 miles way overdue.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Good grief!!! This is the first time my truck has really pissed me off!

Getting that box lid off is a pita. They should have taken some pointers from Ford in this case... I don't like Ford's track and wheel system (because it's cheap) but at least their method of removal/installation is intuitive and simple. This Ram glove box is less than ideal.

As others have already noted, don't bother with the (seemingly) obvious by trying to squeeze the stop tabs in... you need to pull the bottom out first.

The filter cover itself is also a pita. I can't imaging there was not a way for design team to move it to the left a bit, in order to get to that right tab easier.

Geez - what a frustration.

To add insult to injury - the truck is barely over 1600 and the filter is pretty dirty... I just wanted to be sure there was a filter in there at all (because I read somewhere that some people didn't have one)... Now I get to wrestle with that crappy door design again when I go to replace it in the coming weeks. :mad:

I haven't had an upset moment with Ram until today. Hell, my crappy MPG is more tolerable than this stupid glove box cover design.

Last edited:

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I should delete the above post (but I wont, because it will resonate with others that go through the same thing)...

Purchased a Wix filter from O'Reilly - 2nd time remove/replace of glovebox was pretty simple. I still hate the design - but after you've done it once, subsequent times is one minute tops.

Box removal, filter cover removal, replace panel and reinstall = maybe three minutes.

So the initial freakout and frustration seems warranted at the time. But after doing it once, its really no big deal.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I should delete the above post (but I wont, because it will resonate with others that go through the same thing)...

Purchased a Wix filter from O'Reilly - 2nd time remove/replace of glovebox was pretty simple. I still hate the design - but after you've done it once, subsequent times is one minute tops.

Box removal, filter cover removal, replace panel and reinstall = maybe three minutes.

So the initial freakout and frustration seems warranted at the time. But after doing it once, its really no big deal.

so now that you have the hang of it any tips or tricks you’d suggest or just follow the above?

Jako

Reaction score

I was in a little rush doing it my first time and wanted things back together. Next time I am putting a dab of red rubber grease on the hinges to hopefully ease the removal.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
so now that you have the hang of it any tips or tricks you’d suggest or just follow the above?
As another poster mentioned, RBRK's post (quoted below) is paramount... I'm accustomed to box covers that squeeze the stop tabs inward to release - and while that's the intuitive way for the Ram, It's a no win.

Removing bottom/hinge first - is key (after disconnecting the cable on right side)... open door and pull up towards headrest (that angle)...

RBRK's past pretty much covers it:

Changed mine today.. Don’t bend the stops in, that’s not easy, they don’t flex really. Open he glove box and pull out on the bottom hinge at the angle that the glove box stops. Very simple and you can leave the cable attached and not damage the plastic near the stops. 5 minute job. To reinstall tip,the glove box to get the stops to rest where they go and then one side at a time pop the bottom hinge in.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I was in a little rush doing it my first time and wanted things back together. Next time I am putting a dab of red rubber grease on the hinges to hopefully ease the removal.
Hinges released WAY easier the second time than first for me... I don't know if its because I knew the angle to use the second time or the plastic was more pliable from having previously been removed... first time was frustrating - second time was a breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread