5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Bye Mopar muscle cars

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What if the gov’t didn’t make the mandates in the first place? Would we be where we’re at right now? (in regards to the hemi being killed)
Probably same spot.
the new Chrysler overlords don't want V8 in it's portfolios.
Removing the V8 still gets Stellantis nowhere close to the 50+ something mpg required by the government by whatever year it is. They come out wiht crap like the hornet which is slow and terrible with mpg considering what it is, why even bother.

GMetal

Reaction score
Owning them, and actually knowing them are different things. Your previous post made it apparent. Some of your comments were flat out wrong
Right dude. You got it figured out. Lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't realize how much CEO level talent we had on this forum. You guys need to step away from your keyboards and get the BOD to elect you into your rightful position. 🤣
Clearly much more then Chrysler has recently
Since 1998 they have corporate changed hands 5 times?
1689456205677.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Clearly much more then Chrysler has recently
Since 1998 they have corporate changed hands 5 times?
View attachment 163009
98-14 were technically all under Daimler/Chrysler merger. And 2014-pres have all been under the Fiat partnership. Fiat just rebranded everything under Stellantis for the global market.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.....Stellantis is giving up as they don't even want to make v8 and are using the government as an excuse and cop out.......
Also keep in mind, Stellantis is an European company that sells 40% more vehicles in the EU than they do in North America. They have also killed off the V-8 in Maserati after 2024.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
98-14 were technically all under Daimler/Chrysler merger. And 2014-pres have all been under the Fiat partnership. Fiat just rebranded everything under Stellantis for the global market.
Just curious - how do you define rebranding when Fiat merged with PSA Group to create Stellantis?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm Lets see. Ive owned 2nd Gen Ram, 3rd Gen Ram , and now a 5th Gen Ram. I like them. I can also be critical of things I like. I take care of my stuff. I still have problems with the trucks. My Dad also has always been a Dodge guy. Problems with the 2nd Gen. 3 different trucks. From gas to diesel. Problems with his 3rd Gen. and problems with his 2 4th Gens. Obviously all manufacturers have issues. Its how they handle them would be the main problem. In my business of building cars its always GM. Way better aftermarket support. Mopar has always disappointed me in this area. Customers ask me to do Hemi swaps or Viper swaps and when I sit down with them and explain what to expect and give them estimates and they change their mind. Its not impossible but its usually more expensive than the GM alternatives. I like my Ram. Its got 7500 miles so far and already has had issues. I hope it doesnt continue having problems.
You are 100% right on the aftermarket. Dodge cannot compete with the ease of use of the LS's and its mostly because of the locked code. It's just dumb and it looks like a typical Stellantis decision that less is ok. I got news for them, less is LESS and they will run this company out of business. Its a fkn shame too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are 100% right on the aftermarket. Dodge cannot compete with the ease of use of the LS's and its mostly because of the locked code. It's just dumb and it looks like a typical Stellantis decision that less is ok. I got news for them, less is LESS and they will run this company out of business. Its a fkn shame too.
Dodge/Ram has always kept pcms locked. It's not something new stellantis is doing. Even back before Daimler bought them in 2000 they never opened up willingly to aftermarket. It always took the aftermarket to hack the code before they could be tuned.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dodge/Ram has always kept pcms locked. It's not something new stellantis is doing. Even back before Daimler bought them in 2000 they never opened up willingly to aftermarket. It always took the aftermarket to hack the code before they could be tuned.
Yeah I know this, but my point is if they want to make some money open it up and start making deals with aftermarket suppliers. What was done in the past doesn't mean it was the right decision then or now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I know this, but my point is if they want to make some money open it up and start making deals with aftermarket suppliers. What was done in the past doesn't mean it was the right decision then or now.
Since they have the Direct Connect parts network and have opened up the Mopar Speed shops in some dealers, it won't happen. They want you to spend your money with them for tuning and performance

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since they have the Direct Connect parts network and have opened up the Mopar Speed shops in some dealers, it won't happen. They want you to spend your money with them for tuning and performance
I agree and this philosophical decision they made causes the problem that will eventually doom them. The point is that they would make money on the deals they make with the aftermarket companies. In essence the money would come from the aftermarket companies instead of direct sales to their end consumers and generally speaking the aftermarket companies do a better job of coming up with new products and reacting to customer needs.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree and this philosophical decision they made causes the problem that will eventually doom them. The point is that they would make money on the deals they make with the aftermarket companies. In essence the money would come from the aftermarket companies instead of direct sales to their end consumers and generally speaking the aftermarket companies do a better job of coming up with new products and reacting to customer needs.
With the crack down on custom tune jng and emissions with many companies and shops receiving large fines, I could see auto manufacturers getting caught up in the enforcement for allowing easy access to the PCMs for aftermarket tuning.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the crack down on custom tune jng and emissions with many companies and shops receiving large fines, I could see auto manufacturers getting caught up in the enforcement for allowing easy access to the PCMs for aftermarket tuning.
Its possible but doubtful since these companies cannot control what the products are used for. They don't know if it's for an existing new car mod or a crate engine in a project car that's exempt from emission and other restrictions. Another example is that things like transmission tunes don't have any effect on emissions. In any case its all a moot point since Stellantis will not go this route anyway. Sad to see such short sighted execs running the company.

Users who are viewing this thread