5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Bye Mopar muscle cars

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Least exciting Dodge commercial I’ve seen in a LONG time. First part was good then it went downhill fast.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Makes sense. The other video blaming the government was a bit short sighted. Pretty obvious Dodge failed in more ways than we know.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Makes sense. The other video blaming the government was a bit short sighted. Pretty obvious Dodge failed in more ways than we know.
That guy’s vids are great

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Was pretty obviously it wasn't the government.
Not sure why anyone believed that.

People will just stop buying Dodge\Ram all together when V8s are gone and the company will dissolve.
There's way to many other better more experienced companies making gas efficient 4 and 6 cylinders cars\trucks but FCA thinks it can compete with that market that they have never been involved with.
Because Fiats are so popular here in America right?

GMetal

Reaction score
Dodge/RAM FCA/Stellantis have been making poor decisions for what seems like a really long time.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was pretty obviously it wasn't the government.
Not sure why anyone believed that.

People will just stop buying Dodge\Ram all together when V8s are gone and the company will dissolve.
There's way to many other better more experienced companies making gas efficient 4 and 6 cylinders cars\trucks but FCA thinks it can compete with that market that they have never been involved with.
Because Fiats are so popular here in America right?
If the EPA didn’t fiddlefart in everything then we wouldn’t be here talking about this, sooooo…. I believe it is the Govt’s fault, and Stellantis sucks at planning and their reactions. Nobody would be adding extra BS to the emission systems if the EPA didn’t mandate it.

GMetal

Reaction score
c85e5164-cbde-11e7-92fe-08c2b5433029r.jpg
This was the major indicator they wouldnt be making good decisions for their customer base.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the EPA didn’t fiddlefart in everything then we wouldn’t be here talking about this, sooooo…. I believe it is the Govt’s fault, and Stellantis sucks at planning and their reactions. Nobody would be adding extra BS to the emission systems if the EPA didn’t mandate it.
Because the EPA only attacks Stellantis?
Ford Mustang only gets 18mpg. You're trying to tell me Ram can't do that with a v8 also?

This is the EPA page for the 2024 Mustang GT

Stellantis is killing off Dodge and Ram as companies because they are dumb, not the governments fault.
That's like getting 10 speeding tickets and losing your license and blaming it on the police because they enforce the government set speed limits.

GMetal

Reaction score
You think that was a Dodge truck exclusive issue?
To that extent, yes. Ive been in Ford and GM of the same years without that problem. GM OBS trucks still have dashes in them 2nd Gen Ram( and early 3rd gen) have pieces of dash left in them.They even attached the VIN tag to it so when that fell out you had to dig it out of the harness on the left side. At least it made changing out the heater core a breeze. My dash would fall apart just driving down a smooth road. Always had a dash cover. That was the tip of the iceberg of their issues. That clear coat was awful too. If you lived in the south that clear was peeling by the time you paid off the truck. That was continued from the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen trucks. Nobody thought lets fix this. They just let the customer deal with it. Kinda how I envision the cracking back window problem.
Magnum engines were just refreshed LA engines. While GM was coming out with LT and LS engines in the same era and still offered big block options. Then lets talk about that horrendous 46RE. A 727 with overdrive. A terrible overdrive. While GM was delivering a much more stable 4L60E(not without its own issues) which was an electronic 700R4. A solid daily driven transmission. And had a heavy duty 4L80E. Ive never built a hot rod and thought what Dodge transmission do I want to run. Always a GM transmission.
Chrysler seemed to not support the aftermarket. They locked out the ECMs. Meanwhile GM did the opposite. LS engines are everywhere. Easy to tune on factory ECMs because they werent locked out. Then the engineers at GM continued to use the same bolt pattern on their bellhousings so you could easily swap that 383 with an LS in your muscle car or hot rod. You could use a powerglide, TH350, TH400, 200R4, 700R4, 4L60, 4L80, etc behind a big block, small block, LS engine without any issues.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because the EPA only attacks Stellantis?
Ford Mustang only gets 18mpg. You're trying to tell me Ram can't do that with a v8 also?

This is the EPA page for the 2024 Mustang GT

Stellantis is killing off Dodge and Ram as companies because they are dumb, not the governments fault.
That's like getting 10 speeding tickets and losing your license and blaming it on the police because they enforce the government set speed limits.
That goes into the points of the video- other manufacturers reacted better than stellantis. The underlying reason is the same though, the gov’t pushing mandates.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That goes into the points of the video- other manufacturers reacted better than stellantis. The underlying reason is the same though, the gov’t pushing mandates.
That's still not the government's fault.
By those standards then I guess I can say the only reason v8 Camaros and Mustangs exist is because the government.

Almost everything is regulated in this country, companies adapt to make it work or die.
Stellantis is giving up as they don't even want to make v8 and are using the government as an excuse and cop out.

This is not your old Chrysler and hasn't been for a long while.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To that extent, yes. Ive been in Ford and GM of the same years without that problem. GM OBS trucks still have dashes in them 2nd Gen Ram( and early 3rd gen) have pieces of dash left in them.They even attached the VIN tag to it so when that fell out you had to dig it out of the harness on the left side. At least it made changing out the heater core a breeze. My dash would fall apart just driving down a smooth road. Always had a dash cover. That was the tip of the iceberg of their issues. That clear coat was awful too. If you lived in the south that clear was peeling by the time you paid off the truck. That was continued from the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen trucks. Nobody thought lets fix this. They just let the customer deal with it. Kinda how I envision the cracking back window problem.
Magnum engines were just refreshed LA engines. While GM was coming out with LT and LS engines in the same era and still offered big block options. Then lets talk about that horrendous 46RE. A 727 with overdrive. A terrible overdrive. While GM was delivering a much more stable 4L60E(not without its own issues) which was an electronic 700R4. A solid daily driven transmission. And had a heavy duty 4L80E. Ive never built a hot rod and thought what Dodge transmission do I want to run. Always a GM transmission.
Chrysler seemed to not support the aftermarket. They locked out the ECMs. Meanwhile GM did the opposite. LS engines are everywhere. Easy to tune on factory ECMs because they werent locked out. Then the engineers at GM continued to use the same bolt pattern on their bellhousings so you could easily swap that 383 with an LS in your muscle car or hot rod. You could use a powerglide, TH350, TH400, 200R4, 700R4, 4L60, 4L80, etc behind a big block, small block, LS engine without any issues.
Don't know much about Dodge I see. They have used the same bell housing bolt pattern on the small blocks since the 60s. Even the current Hemi has the same bolt pattern.

Magnum engine was sa solid reliable engine built for low end torque and towing. Perfect for the trucks. I'm currently in the process of building mine into a 410 stroker.

As for the 46re, they can be built to handle high horsepower if the person building them knows what they are doing. Have one in my 00 Dakota R/T, and had one in my 99 Dakota R/T that was still working like factory with 120k miles on it and LOTS of drag racing. Do they have issues, sure, but 90% of those issues are owner created. Not turning off OD when towing mostly.

As for the clear coat, neither my 99 nor 00 have had issues with the factory clear coat.

But then again, I actually take care of my vehicles do preventative maintenance before waiting for issues.

Sounds like you are a GM guy. Why are you in a Ram?

GMetal

Reaction score
Don't know much about Dodge I see. They have used the same bell housing bolt pattern on the small blocks since the 60s. Even the current Hemi has the same bolt pattern.

Magnum engine was sa solid reliable engine built for low end torque and towing. Perfect for the trucks. I'm currently in the process of building mine into a 410 stroker.

As for the 46re, they can be built to handle high horsepower if the person building them knows what they are doing. Have one in my 00 Dakota R/T, and had one in my 99 Dakota R/T that was still working like factory with 120k miles on it and LOTS of drag racing. Do they have issues, sure, but 90% of those issues are owner created. Not turning off OD when towing mostly.

As for the clear coat, neither my 99 nor 00 have had issues with the factory clear coat.

But then again, I actually take care of my vehicles do preventative maintenance before waiting for issues.

Sounds like you are a GM guy. Why are you in a Ram?
Hmmm Lets see. Ive owned 2nd Gen Ram, 3rd Gen Ram , and now a 5th Gen Ram. I like them. I can also be critical of things I like. I take care of my stuff. I still have problems with the trucks. My Dad also has always been a Dodge guy. Problems with the 2nd Gen. 3 different trucks. From gas to diesel. Problems with his 3rd Gen. and problems with his 2 4th Gens. Obviously all manufacturers have issues. Its how they handle them would be the main problem. In my business of building cars its always GM. Way better aftermarket support. Mopar has always disappointed me in this area. Customers ask me to do Hemi swaps or Viper swaps and when I sit down with them and explain what to expect and give them estimates and they change their mind. Its not impossible but its usually more expensive than the GM alternatives. I like my Ram. Its got 7500 miles so far and already has had issues. I hope it doesnt continue having problems.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's still not the government's fault.
By those standards then I guess I can say the only reason v8 Camaros and Mustangs exist is because the government.

Almost everything is regulated in this country, companies adapt to make it work or die.
Stellantis is giving up as they don't even want to make v8 and are using the government as an excuse and cop out.

This is not your old Chrysler and hasn't been for a long while.
What if the gov’t didn’t make the mandates in the first place? Would we be where we’re at right now? (in regards to the hemi being killed)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm Lets see. Ive owned 2nd Gen Ram, 3rd Gen Ram , and now a 5th Gen Ram. I like them. I can also be critical of things I like. I take care of my stuff. I still have problems with the trucks. My Dad also has always been a Dodge guy. Problems with the 2nd Gen. 3 different trucks. From gas to diesel. Problems with his 3rd Gen. and problems with his 2 4th Gens. Obviously all manufacturers have issues. Its how they handle them would be the main problem. In my business of building cars its always GM. Way better aftermarket support. Mopar has always disappointed me in this area. Customers ask me to do Hemi swaps or Viper swaps and when I sit down with them and explain what to expect and give them estimates and they change their mind. Its not impossible but its usually more expensive than the GM alternatives. I like my Ram. Its got 7500 miles so far and already has had issues. I hope it doesnt continue having problems.
Owning them, and actually knowing them are different things. Your previous post made it apparent. Some of your comments were flat out wrong

Users who are viewing this thread