5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye Bye Mopar muscle cars

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just saw this today outside of these forums. I didnt read the whole article, but one question. What about police versions? A lot of police departments use Dodge. I've seen my local dept experiment with a Tesla, but curious about the potential for a whole fleet of EVs.

Considering most fleets are Ford Explorer Interceptors, it's just more likely they will buy more of those even though they cost quite a bit more than the Police Charger.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Start watching at the 10 minute mark to see the actual car. The exhaust note is interesting.🤔

Sedans and coupes aren't really my thing anymore but I'll hand it to them, they didn't just go out and build "another" BEV. They've brought some interesting new elements to this car and it gives me hope that they'll be just as creative with the BEV truck. I know the sound will be polarizing, but if you think about it, isn't the Hemi's "true" sound altered by a carefully "tuned' exhaust system. I mean, sure an electric car makes almost no noise, but what would a hemi sound like without an exhaust system and muffler? Oh, and the inside looks nice. More like a ****pit than what Tesla's doing with a seat with a giant Ipad glued to the dash.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I think this is pretty sick and I may try one out in a few years, if it makes it to market looking and performing as revealed👍👍

For now, I have a 2023 Jeep Wrangler 392 XR on order to thrash around in old school fashion till the electrics get cooler😎

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sad times :( guess in the next year or two when I’m looking to pickup another toy I’ll be looking at older scatpacks/Camaros instead of going the new route. Wouldn’t be mad if they offered both options to appeal to both markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gipraw

Reaction score
I still find it amazing that almost no one is talking about the severe negative impact this shift to EV will have on lower income people, or the long-term environmental impact once everyone shifts to driving what is basically a disposable vehicle. Nobody is going to want to spend 10-20 grand to re-battery a car only worth $30,000.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I still find it amazing that almost no one is talking about the severe negative impact this shift to EV will have on lower income people, or the long-term environmental impact once everyone shifts to driving what is basically a disposable vehicle. Nobody is going to want to spend 10-20 grand to re-battery a car only worth $30,000.

They aren't forcing everyone to drive EV by 2030, they are forcing the stop sale of new ICE vehicles. More affordable gas vehicles already on the road won't go away for many years after that and EVs should come down in price by then, including batteries.

Though manufacturers prefer you buy a new vehicle and recycle your old one. They wanted that now as well, which is why German manufactures make their cars so expensive to repair after 7 years of so. They want them so expensive to repair you buy a new car and send yours to the scrap heap to be recycled. Though in reality, it will end up in some poor college students hands who thought driving around in a late model Audi would be cool, until the first big repair comes along.

Maybe consider another possibility, that EVs cut down on repairs/maintenance in the life of a vehicle, with modern battery technology and production of scale, should be get a lot cheaper in the future. I don't know honestly, it could go either way.

Klink

Reaction score
that's just a rumor...but the US News article says nothing about any gas engine being available in Challenger or Charger...hmmmmm
2023 is the last year you can order the hemi V8 for the Challenger and the charger. The charger has already been identified as being an EV beyond that. The challenger, while still available will no longer have the hemav8 but rather the twin turbo 6 cylinder.

The new charger will be called Banshee. It's sports two doors instead of four.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They aren't forcing everyone to drive EV by 2030, they are forcing the stop sale of new ICE vehicles. More affordable gas vehicles already on the road won't go away for many years after that and EVs should come down in price by then, including batteries.

Though manufacturers prefer you buy a new vehicle and recycle your old one. They wanted that now as well, which is why German manufactures make their cars so expensive to repair after 7 years of so. They want them so expensive to repair you buy a new car and send yours to the scrap heap to be recycled. Though in reality, it will end up in some poor college students hands who thought driving around in a late model Audi would be cool, until the first big repair comes along.

Maybe consider another possibility, that EVs cut down on repairs/maintenance in the life of a vehicle, with modern battery technology and production of scale, should be get a lot cheaper in the future. I don't know honestly, it could go either way.
By "forcing the stop sale of ICE vehicles" they are essentially forcing people to buy EV's. It's just like the "vaccine". "They didnt "force" people to get it" but you'll lose your livelihood if you didn't. Yes ICE vehicles will still be around but it will cost so much to have them thereby "forcing" everyone to get an EV. As far as "good for the environment" I call bull$hit. EVERYONE needs to research how the lithium batteries are made and why they become hazardous waste when they've expired. Last my dumba$$ self knew hazardous waste was bad for both humans and the environment. Maintenance for EV's will still be relatively the same if not greater. They still have brakes, suspension and now more electrical equipment than ever that can and will fail. I won't even get into the power grids that won't be able to handle the millions more of EV's which is already failing

SD Rebel

Reaction score
By "forcing the stop sale of ICE vehicles" they are essentially forcing people to buy EV's. It's just like the "vaccine". "They didnt "force" people to get it" but you'll lose your livelihood if you didn't. Yes ICE vehicles will still be around but it will cost so much to have them thereby "forcing" everyone to get an EV. As far as "good for the environment" I call bull$hit. EVERYONE needs to research how the lithium batteries are made and why they become hazardous waste when they've expired. Last my dumba$$ self knew hazardous waste was bad for both humans and the environment. Maintenance for EV's will still be relatively the same if not greater. They still have brakes, suspension and now more electrical equipment than ever that can and will fail. I won't even get into the power grids that won't be able to handle the millions more of EV's which is already failing

Good points, though I wouldn't say ICE vehicles will be more expensive to run in the future, we don't know that yet, and it could take decades before EVs make up the majority of the car population.

I agree that they aren't better for the environment when you calculate everything, though it could be cheaper to run once widespread implementation starts and prices for the technology drops and becomes mainstream.

As the owner of many older German cars (E46, E90, R170), I can tell you the majority of my maintenance and repairs comes directly from the engine and transmission. Brakes and suspension are usually a 100K thing. Things with the oily bits are far more common.

At this point, we are just at the beginning of everything, there are going to be growing pains, especially with infrastructure. I personally don't expect to own an EV for a while, but who knows. Maybe synthetic fuels is our future, then we don't have to change anything.

Clv22p

Reaction score
2023 is the last year you can order the hemi V8 for the Challenger and the charger. The charger has already been identified as being an EV beyond that. The challenger, while still available will no longer have the hemav8 but rather the twin turbo 6 cylinder.

The new charger will be called Banshee. It's sports two doors instead of four.

I don’t know that is even true. Dodge keeps saying this is the last year for the hemi in this generation. The new generation is coming for 2024. Seems possible that there is a hemi in the next generation.

Klink

Reaction score
I don’t know that is even true. Dodge keeps saying this is the last year for the hemi in this generation. The new generation is coming for 2024. Seems possible that there is a hemi in the next generation.

I don't even know what to believe at this point. Glad I have my SRT and I'm keeping it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Good points, though I wouldn't say ICE vehicles will be more expensive to run in the future, we don't know that yet, and it could take decades before EVs make up the majority of the car population.
The writing was already on the wall. This current administration ran on killing fossil fuel production and the second he got installed in the white house he signed XO's killing leases for further production. Also, take a peek at what you're paying to fill up your Ram

Wire4money

Reaction score
Just saw this today outside of these forums. I didnt read the whole article, but one question. What about police versions? A lot of police departments use Dodge. I've seen my local dept experiment with a Tesla, but curious about the potential for a whole fleet of EVs.
I read an article that Idaho won’t be buying Dodges anymore.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The writing was already on the wall. This current administration ran on killing fossil fuel production and the second he got installed in the white house he signed XO's killing leases for further production. Also, take a peek at what you're paying to fill up your Ram

He is also running for the hills to lower gas prices and increase drilling, begging the Saudi's, etc. because prices went so high it's going to hurt them in future elections. That seems like the opposite of what he should be doing if that was the case.

Though don't doubt they want to keep gas prices inflated to spur EV sales, of course. But to the point where I won't be able to afford my ICE vehicle, not anytime soon, especially not with so many elections coming up in the next decade. The Democrats making themselves of party of high gas price wouldn't benefit them, certainly not this early in the game.

Clearly they are going to lose the elections in the mid-term and likely the presidency after that. Who knows where all this goes from there.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
He is also running for the hills to lower gas prices and increase drilling, begging the Saudi's, etc. because prices went so high it's going to hurt them in future elections. That seems like the opposite of what he should be doing if that was the case.

Though don't doubt they want to keep gas prices inflated to spur EV sales, of course. But to the point where I won't be able to afford my ICE vehicle, not anytime soon, especially not with so many elections coming up in the next decade. The Democrats making themselves of party of high gas price wouldn't benefit them, certainly not this early in the game.

Clearly they are going to lose the elections in the mid-term and likely the presidency after that. Who knows where all this goes from there.
It just goes to show EVERYONE with a single functioning brain cell that it's all a political game at our expense

Users who are viewing this thread