5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burning off the Duratracs

ryco25

Reaction score
I put on a new set of Duratracs this week and sent the old ones out properly - with some egregious burnouts. Traction control off, axle locker on, 2WD, mash the gas and throttle and enjoy. These things are burnout machines! Photos below show the tires post-burnouts and the replacements for comparison.

My tires had 2yrs and 28k on them and the tire shop said they only had about 20% life left, so I took advantage of a sale and got new ones for the winter. I was surprised as the tread rating on them on Goodyear's website is 50k miles so I asked the shop - they said that tires installed at the OEM vs the same exact tire purchased 'aftermarket' often aren't the same. They said that the bulk orders for OEMs usually use different compounds based on the price point the OEM and tire manufacturer have agreed on, so the OEM ones typically won't last as long. Very interesting.

Anyway - enjoy:

Attachments

• IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5592.jpeg
    IMG_5592.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 126

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
Hey this is so damn cool, I have a question though, how did you do that so well? When I try to burn out I turn off traction and use the break and floor the gas but my truck starts vibrating and the back seems to be hopping and I can never get that amount of smoke to come out !!! Please help me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryco25

Reaction score
Hey this is so damn cool, I have a question though, how did you do that so well? When I try to burn out I turn off traction and use the break and floor the gas but my truck starts vibrating and the back seems to be hopping and I can never get that amount of smoke to come out !!! Please help me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha thanks! I know exactly what you're talking about; I think it has to do with the balance of your gas/throttle (you should be lessening pressure on the brakes as your burnout goes on) but also has to do with the road surface (smoother is better). There is a fuse you can pull though that disables ESC/TC/ABS if you really want to party; I didn't do that though. Search YouTube for disabling ESC on a 2019 Ram and someone did a video on that fuse.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Nice!!!

Man ur tread really did wear quickly. Mine are not as bad as urs and i have a little over 30k.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Well I stand corrected. Mine are pretty close and should probably be changed out in the summer. How dissapointing

edgarrian

Reaction score
I put on a new set of Duratracs this week and sent the old ones out properly - with some egregious burnouts. Traction control off, axle locker on, 2WD, mash the gas and throttle and enjoy. These things are burnout machines! Photos below show the tires post-burnouts and the replacements for comparison.

My tires had 2yrs and 28k on them and the tire shop said they only had about 20% life left, so I took advantage of a sale and got new ones for the winter. I was surprised as the tread rating on them on Goodyear's website is 50k miles so I asked the shop - they said that tires installed at the OEM vs the same exact tire purchased 'aftermarket' often aren't the same. They said that the bulk orders for OEMs usually use different compounds based on the price point the OEM and tire manufacturer have agreed on, so the OEM ones typically won't last as long. Very interesting.

Anyway - enjoy:

How much did you end up paying for new rubber??

ryco25

Reaction score
Nice!!!

Man ur tread really did wear quickly. Mine are not as bad as urs and i have a little over 30k.

My 'before' photo was post-burnouts but they weren't much better

Well I stand corrected. Mine are pretty close and should probably be changed out in the summer. How dissapointing

Ah rough..yeah it's pretty underwhelming.

How much did you end up paying for new rubber??

I think around $1250 installed...shop had a $125 rebate and Goodyear had a $75 mail-in rebate (not included in my price). I'd suggest checking your local dealer to see if they have specials, mine was having buy 3 get the 4th for $1...which of course I discovered after I bought these...

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice rip! The other day I noticed my duratracs were looking a little beat for only 14k.

Users who are viewing this thread