5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken windshield

Glenn54

Reaction score
Had a rock fly up from a passing car yesterday and hit my windshield in the bottom left corner. I now have spider cracks about 4" in diameter. I think there's a good chance it will spread. Is this something that will need to be replaced at a Ram dealer or can a auto glass repair business do this? If I turn this into my insurance company will it cause my insurance record to get dinged? Thanks.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most auto glass places should be able to do it. OEM glass is pricey. I got 3 quotes for $700+. Only one mentioned aftermarket glass but they couldn't get it so I didn't get a price on that yet. Some insurance policies have free windshield replacement. You'd have to check if you do or if the claim would count against you.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a rock fly up from a passing car yesterday and hit my windshield in the bottom left corner. I now have spider cracks about 4" in diameter. I think there's a good chance it will spread. Is this something that will need to be replaced at a Ram dealer or can a auto glass repair business do this? If I turn this into my insurance company will it cause my insurance record to get dinged? Thanks.
I would think you could take it anywhere to have it replaced! Just might want to check if doing that would void any part of your factory warranty by not going to ram dealer??? As for the insurance goes, this is considered a act of god and should not count against you, however if you have a deductible, you would have to pay that. Many people have 500 or 1000 deductible! Good luck with your repair👍🏻

tonyplants

Reaction score
Safelite did mine using my auto insurance. I lowered my USAA Comp deductible to $300 shortly after having a small chip repaired a year prior and knowing a new windshield was ~$1k. A walnut fell from a tree when I was going ~50mph and hit upper passenger corner, just on the edge-glad it didn't hit roof-it would have been much worse. Scared the crap out of my wife as she was doing her makeup. Very satisfied with OEM glass replacement job by Safelite. Be advised - there are a few variations of glass based upon your build/configuration (auto sensing wipers, camera, etc.). As stated in earlier posts, different states/carriers have different laws/policies....I'm in MI. I know FL is more lenient with windshields, and I miss that...especially since MI throws salt rocks down in winter and road resurfacing in summer consists of putting rocks (chip seal) down...both practices dramatically increase chances for windshield damage.
5285f2f0e2ff5fde769d6a507995709a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
061cd7c0a4cea33ee2666ce52e1eb359.jpg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check with your insurance company. Some have a separate deductible for glass that's less than the collision repair deductible. I had a windshield claim on my previous vehicle and only had to pay a $50 deductible. Compared to the $500 deductible I'd have to pay for a collision repair.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the rain-sensing wipers (and I believe you do based on the options listed in your signature), make sure you get OEM-equivalent quality glass, and not cheapo generic aftermarket glass. Otherwise the wipers will not function properly (or you can set them to manual, not using the rain-sensing).

You don't need RAM/FCA branded glass necessarily, but definitely OEM-comparable. On my 2014, it ran me around $700 at the time (a couple years ago). The cheapo stuff was about half that or a touch more, but I like my rain sensing magic.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Another vote for checking with your insurance company. I've had windshields replaced in almost every car I have owned (highway commuting :rolleyes:). Policies vary, but from my experience, my policies have had lower deductibles on glass (usually$50-100). Also, if you want OEM glass, you must request it. Some policies cover it, but if you don't ask for it,they will install aftermarket. You don't need to go to the dealer for an OEM windshield; auto glass companies can install them too. Claiming glass won't lead to your rate increasing, but it will be on your insurance "record" so to speak.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here in Mass, there is no deductible for Glass claims...and there is NO FAULT when it is a comprehensive claim, ( glass, fire, vandalism, flood, etc). If your veh has over 20,000, or 12 months age, they will usually pay for A/M glass, not OEM, if A/M is available.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Depending on trim, be prepared to shell out a pretty penny for a new windshield, specially for those that have adaptive cruise/collision sensor.

I had to replace mine due to a rock chip a couple of months ago, and the OEM windshield cost close to ~$1,300 from Safelite (of which $250 was for the calibration of the sensor).

If you think that’s high, dealer quoted me ~$1,800, which made Safelite seem like a bargain... :oops:

Initially I asked for generic to save the insurance company money, but after they installed it, they could not get the safety systems calibrated due to the stadia lines where the sensor sits not being perfectly aligned, so they replaced it with OEM about a week later and it’s been perfect since.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have comprehensive then see what it covers. If it covers glass then in Texas you will still need to pay the deductible. Some comprehensive policies there will cover 100% cost, but it's optional and will have higher premiums.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Initially I asked for generic to save the insurance company money, but after they installed it, they could not get the safety systems calibrated due to the stadia lines where the sensor sits not being perfectly aligned, so they replaced it with OEM about a week later and it’s been perfect since.
This is good to know just in case I ever need a new windshield...thanks!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory windshields have a small Rams head logo in the lower right corner the same color to match the interior. Some aftermarket windshields don't have it and it's a way to spot a less expensive replacement. New York, like a few other states, require glass insurance which provides a no cost replacement.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044783 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If you have comprehensive then see what it covers. If it covers glass then in Texas you will still need to pay the deductible. Some comprehensive policies there will cover 100% cost, but it's optional and will have higher premiums.
I have zero deductible glass through Progressive for our vehicles. It has paid for itself several times over on just this one instance.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The factory windshields have a small Rams head logo in the lower right corner the same color to match the interior. Some aftermarket windshields don't have it and it's a way to spot a less expensive replacement. New York, like a few other states, require glass insurance which provides a no cost replacement.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044783 miles.
Correct. This is what I got when they went OEM the second time around.

Glenn54

Reaction score
$500.00 deductible. Ouch. I changed the policy to a $50.00 deductible for glass, going forward.

The damage is not severe and does not effect my vision since it is so low on the windshield. But you can definitely feel the cracks from the outside and inside of the truck. Any concerns that I should be aware of other than a possible leak?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
$500.00 deductible. Ouch. I changed the policy to a $50.00 deductible for glass, going forward.

The damage is not severe and does not effect my vision since it is so low on the windshield. But you can definitely feel the cracks from the outside and inside of the truck. Any concerns that I should be aware of other than a possible leak?
Cracks could spread quickly, depending on a whole host of factors, and potentially affect visibility or present a serious safety hazard when the next flying object comes along. I’d order a new one or at least keep a close eye on it for any signs of propagation.

Truckit

Reaction score
Depending on trim, be prepared to shell out a pretty penny for a new windshield, specially for those that have adaptive cruise/collision sensor.

I had to replace mine due to a rock chip a couple of months ago, and the OEM windshield cost close to ~$1,300 from Safelite (of which $250 was for the calibration of the sensor).

If you think that’s high, dealer quoted me ~$1,800, which made Safelite seem like a bargain... :oops:

Interesting that they charged you for calibration. When mine was done they said it was self calibrating. I had an OEM windshield installed by my local glass dealer. They said the after market wouldn't work properly with rain sensing and auto dimmers. They quoted me $800 Canadian. Since I had $500 deductible we ended up going through insurance at about $1200. Mine is a 2019 Limited but a later production than yours.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Interesting that they charged you for calibration. When mine was done they said it was self calibrating. I had an OEM windshield installed by my local glass dealer. They said the after market wouldn't work properly with rain sensing and auto dimmers. They quoted me $800 Canadian. Since I had $500 deductible we ended up going through insurance at about $1200. Mine is a 2019 Limited but a later production than yours.
It’s not self calibrating. They are supposed to calibrate the DASM whenever the windshield is replaced (or if the DASM is replaced). Oh and forgot to mention that the rain-sensor did not work on the generic windshield either.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Zowie, that's steep. But still a lot cheaper than paying for the whole thing. There is actually another safety concern with driving around with a damaged windshield since it's part of the air bag system. If the windshield is compromised, the air bag might not be as effective if you get into an accident. Just something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread