5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken windshield

Truckit

Reaction score
It’s not self calibrating. They are supposed to calibrate the DASM whenever the windshield is replaced (or if the DASM is replaced). Oh and forgot to mention that the rain-sensor did not work on the generic windshield either.
That is what I find surprising. I discussed this with the installer and he usually needs to calibrate but not mine. It would have been an extra 200$ if he needed to calibrate. Many newer Mopars are self calibrating according to him.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That is what I find surprising. I discussed this with the installer and he usually needs to calibrate but not mine. It would have been an extra 200$ if he needed to calibrate. Many newer Mopars are self calibrating according to him.
Not our trucks, unless something’s changed on the 2021s that I am not aware of, but I doubt it. I believe you’re supposed to re-calibrate if you put different size tires if I remember correctly.

I’ll try to find the related info on the service manual.

Truckit

Reaction score
Here you go. This is for the 2019s, which as I‘ve said before, should be the same for 2020s/2021s. YMMV.

View attachment 78168 View attachment 78169
I'm not doubting that some need to be done but mine definitely didn't need it and wasn't done. It was replaced by the Local Speedy Auto Glass and he has the tooling for programing. That is why there was no charge.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Literally just had mine replaced, Safelite with OEM windshield.

It was $250 deductible, they came to my house, and it took about an hour. ..they did scratch the inside of the passenger side pillar.. 😒

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a rock hit my Winsheild a few days ago. Put a toothpick sized
divit in the glass but no cracks. less than 3K miles on the truck.

Malodave

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Interesting that they charged you for calibration. When mine was done they said it was self calibrating. I had an OEM windshield installed by my local glass dealer. They said the after market wouldn't work properly with rain sensing and auto dimmers. They quoted me $800 Canadian. Since I had $500 deductible we ended up going through insurance at about $1200. Mine is a 2019 Limited but a later production than yours.
Was this a $500 deductible specifically for glass coverage? My comprehensive deductible is $1000 with all perils included but I don't see anywhere in my policy about glass. I may be misunderstanding how this works when going thru insurance. How did your quote go from $800 to $1200 through insurance? Any advice would help. I'll have to give my insurance a call when they open on Monday but I'm just confused by this all in the meantime.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
here in Mass, there is no deductible for Glass claims...and there is NO FAULT when it is a comprehensive claim, ( glass, fire, vandalism, flood, etc). If your veh has over 20,000, or 12 months age, they will usually pay for A/M glass, not OEM, if A/M is available.

And your allowed 2 a year before they ding you.
Must be because of all our potholes . :ROFLMAO:

Truckit

Reaction score
Was this a $500 deductible specifically for glass coverage? My comprehensive deductible is $1000 with all perils included but I don't see anywhere in my policy about glass. I may be misunderstanding how this works when going thru insurance. How did your quote go from $800 to $1200 through insurance? Any advice would help. I'll have to give my insurance a call when they open on Monday but I'm just confused by this all in the meantime.
This is in Canada so is likely different from coverage you have. The $500 deductible is the same for glass or other damage. The 800 to 1200 is the insurance company being charged more for the repair just because the glass company can. Fraud comes to mind but common practice.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got a quote from Safelite for replacement and recalibration... $949.99

$649.99 for parts and labor
$300.00 for recalibration

*Quote does not include tax, disposal fee or additional service options

Haven't scheduled yet, but also got a $100.00 off promo code emailed this AM. I don't know how much more OEM glass would be vice their OEE, though.

Last edited:

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
This is in Canada so is likely different from coverage you have. The $500 deductible is the same for glass or other damage. The 800 to 1200 is the insurance company being charged more for the repair just because the glass company can. Fraud comes to mind but common practice.
I'm in Canada as well so good to know. That clears it up a bit with the price changing all of a sudden. I'll have to see if my local shop can swing the same thing. If my total is less than my comprehensive deductible that would suck to pay $800+ out of pocket.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Just got a quote from Safelite for replacement and recalibration... $949.99

$649.99 for parts and labor
$300.00 for recalibration

*Quote does not include tax, disposal fee or additional service options

Haven't scheduled yet, but also got a $100.00 off promo code emailed this AM. I don't know how much more OEM glass would be vice their OEE, though.
Ouch. Do you think Safelite is a good company to use as opposed to a dealer? Are you still in the Merchant Marines? My dad was a Merchant Marine for over 30 years.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch. Do you think Safelite is a good company to use as opposed to a dealer? Are you still in the Merchant Marines? My dad was a Merchant Marine for over 30 years.
As far as Safelite goes, they replaced the windshield on our Titan and our son's Ram before, but we didn't have all the stuff that needs recalibration on those. The only hiccup was the first windshield they brought for the Titan had a crack in it, but had another one out the same day.

Still in the MM for another 3 Years 5 Months 20 Days 5 Hours and 20 Minutes... 😁

Glenn54

Reaction score
As far as Safelite goes, they replaced the windshield on our Titan and our son's Ram before, but we didn't have all the stuff that needs recalibration on those. The only hiccup was the first windshield they brought for the Titan had a crack in it, but had another one out the same day.

Still in the MM for another 3 Years 5 Months 20 Days 5 Hours and 20 Minutes... 😁

Has to be a very tough job/life. My dad was usually gone for months at a time. I don't blame you for looking forward to retirement.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their Mopar windshields cracking more than normal? I've got 4000km on my 2021 and have already went through two of them just doing city driving. Nothing even noticeable hitting them and they crack and split. My 2015 still had the original windshield when I traded it in for the 2021 minus one spider repair and it took the occasional rock strike on the highway. These mopar ones don't even seem to spider they just crack right away. I'm requesting a non-mopar one this time because I'm concerned something is wrong with the glass in these new windshields... although I will be sad if it doesn't have the ram logo in the corner.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their Mopar windshields cracking more than normal? I've got 4000km on my 2021 and have already went through two of them just doing city driving. Nothing even noticeable hitting them and they crack and split. My 2015 still had the original windshield when I traded it in for the 2021 minus one spider repair and it took the occasional rock strike on the highway. These mopar ones don't even seem to spider they just crack right away. I'm requesting a non-mopar one this time because I'm concerned something is wrong with the glass in these new windshields... although I will be sad if it doesn't have the ram logo in the corner.
I called a dealer about getting a new windshield yesterday. The guy said it usually takes about 3 attempts to get a new windshield delivered that is not broke. Apparently the windshields are not packaged well. Or maybe the windshields are made really cheap? My windshield is cracking more every day after it was hit with a rock that flew up.

Users who are viewing this thread