5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New 1500 Ticking (With video)

mcp6530

Reaction score
Had an older Grand Cherokee Overland with hemi v8 and it was making this sound but much worse; turned out to be the lifters but the issue occurred around 100k miles. Lifters replaced and it went away but it was big money.

Bearded_Yeti

Reaction score
Update: after a week at the dealer finally heard back. Surprisingly they were able to replicate the issue, however it apparently isn't the exhaust manifold after initial inspection.

Monday they'll be tearing into the engine to inspect rocker shaft, push rods, lifters, etc for wear. The Ram Cares rep that was assigned to me said she hadn't heard of this issue before so they're interested in hearing the full diagnosis. Will update again next week.

Curious to see if you have any updates. I feel like mine has a slight tick to it as well.

ryantcantu

Reaction score
Curious to see if you have any updates. I feel like mine has a slight tick to it as well.
So far they replaced the lifters. Truck has been there since the 4/6with no end currently in sight.

They’re ordering a new cylinder head at the request of the FCA engineers since it was still doing it after lifter replacement. I’m not entirely sure how that would remedy the noise but hey they’d know more than I would.

I should be getting a call later today with an estimated timeline. When they give me a ring I’ll double check that they inspected the manifolds too since that’s been a common issue.

Sucks driving a minivan for a month. Missing my truck!!!

Bearded_Yeti

Reaction score
So far they replaced the lifters. Truck has been there since the 4/6with no end currently in sight.

They’re ordering a new cylinder head at the request of the FCA engineers since it was still doing it after lifter replacement. I’m not entirely sure how that would remedy the noise but hey they’d know more than I would.

I should be getting a call later today with an estimated timeline. When they give me a ring I’ll double check that they inspected the manifolds too since that’s been a common issue.

Sucks driving a minivan for a month. Missing my truck!!!
I also had to replace my passenger side manifold due to having a very large crack in it. Truck has been in for warranty repairs about 5-6 times now. I love the truck but damn they use some cheap s**t.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following this thread. Been noticing a similar noise on my 2021. Also comes from the passenger side and doesn’t go away once the engine is warm.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same sound coming from my 2019 Longhorn w/ 5.7 hemi engine . I just hit 40K miles on engine. The sound is exact to yours and after about 2-5miles of driving as the engine warms up it seems to go away. I did some extensive research 2 nights ago and from what I've found the outcome seems to be either cracked exhaust manifold bolts, warped exhaust manifold, or cracked exhaust manifold with dealership costs to repair ranging from $600 ( to replace the bolts ) - $1,500.00 (to replace the manifold). Owners have said they have had to replace their exhaust manifold multiple times and have upgraded to aftermarket headers to avoid having to pay for the repair again. I personally only had the 36,000 warranty and my truck goes in for oilchange on friday. Needless to say I am a bit on-edge but prepared to get the news that I will be dishing out some $$$ for a repair.
Exhaust manifold leak either the bolts are broke or the manifold itself..... also the manifold is not under the 36000 mile warranty it’s power train so it’s 60k

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just had the misfortune of my "tick" turning out to be the dreaded lifter tick. I had an engine misfire on cylinder 3 and have to get the camshaft replaced and a whole bunch of ****. Needless to say I'm a bit stressed over it being I rely on my truck for work and dealership has me waiting 3 weeks till they can start the repair.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I just had the misfortune of my "tick" turning out to be the dreaded lifter tick. I had an engine misfire on cylinder 3 and have to get the camshaft replaced and a whole bunch of ****. Needless to say I'm a bit stressed over it being I rely on my truck for work and dealership has me waiting 3 weeks till they can start the repair.
3 weeks before they can get to it or 3 weeks for parts to come in? Have you gotten ram cares involved?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3 weeks before they can get to it. No I have not contacted ram cares yet. Should I ?
Yes. @RamCares a PM with your information and situation to get some help with expediting it. That's not a simple fix so 3 weeks plus who knows how long until you have a truck back. They should be able to help push for a repair sooner and aid with getting parts in a timely manner.

ryantcantu

Reaction score
3 weeks before they can get to it. No I have not contacted ram cares yet. Should I ?
Yes absolutely. I’ve been working with them through my repair(s) and they’ve been a huge help keeping me in the loop so far.

ryantcantu

Reaction score
Any updates on your repair Ryan?
Day 29 at the dealer tomorrow and everything should be done and ready for pickup. Word is they’re replacing the cylinder head today (tech/engineers think a valve isn’t working properly) and will give it a cold start tomorrow to make sure everything’s good to go. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

will keep ya posted.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Day 29 at the dealer tomorrow and everything should be done and ready for pickup. Word is they’re replacing the cylinder head today (tech/engineers think a valve isn’t working properly) and will give it a cold start tomorrow to make sure everything’s good to go. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽

will keep ya posted.
Gotcha! Well I hope that solves the problem for you and you can get back on the road. I can't decide if I really want to take mine in for this or not. I may just mention it next time I bring it in for something else and see if they would even look into it. Have you looked into having your truck payment made for you? Wondering if that is an option since you haven't had it for a month.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes. @RamCares a PM with your information and situation to get some help with expediting it. That's not a simple fix so 3 weeks plus who knows how long until you have a truck back. They should be able to help push for a repair sooner and aid with getting parts in a timely manner.

Appreciate the mention @z0n3!

We would love to look into your situation further @MValdez, and are sorry to hear that your vehicle is experiencing this concern. We work closely with our Ram dealerships to ensure that you are taken care of. To start, please send us a message with your VIN as well as some additional details regarding this matter. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hannah
Ram Cares

ryantcantu

Reaction score
Update: getting truck back now. Turns out it was the cylinder head that was faulty. Dealer said it was the first case like this they’d ever heard of.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: getting truck back now. Turns out it was the cylinder head that was faulty. Dealer said it was the first case like this they’d ever heard of.
You'll have to update on how it sounds when you get it back. My truck sounds awfully familiar. I would be curious to if you had a video and or the repair invoice. Glad to hear you are getting your truck back now! Roughly took about a month to get this fixed for you? That doesn't seem too awful for this type of repair either.

ryantcantu

Reaction score
You'll have to update on how it sounds when you get it back. My truck sounds awfully familiar. I would be curious to if you had a video and or the repair invoice. Glad to hear you are getting your truck back now! Roughly took about a month to get this fixed for you? That doesn't seem too awful for this type of repair either.
Man, it sounds 100x better. I noticed the entire time I had the truck there was a “pulsing” coming from the exhaust and it’s now gone. Just that good old clean growl.

I’ll be sure to post the invoice and a video here very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread