5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

grinch72

Reaction score
Any feedback on how's the sound when MDS / Eco mode turns on?

I have stock exhaust and when I bought it I could hardly tell but now I'm either tuned into it or it's changed but I think it's awful...sounds awful and "feels" awful. I nervous to change because I'm thinking it just make it even worse.

You can hear the difference. I don't think it is a huge change but a change nonetheless. Whatever you don't like is more than made up for in how it sounds overall!

Laz

Reaction score
I just ordered the S type today and should be arriving withing 4 days, looking forward to hearing the Hemi as it should sound...after all it's why we install aftermarket exhaust systems on our vehicles in the first place.

Max Limited

Reaction score
I have the S-Type and it is a little loud on start-up but mellows quickly. It has also toned down some after 1500 miles. To me it is perfect, you can barely hear it on the interstate at cruising speed but what a sound when you get on it. Under normal driving you can definitely tell you have an exhaust but it is not too loud in my old humble opinion. I also asked Borla about the resonator. It is supposed to be a resonator that is installed in front of the muffler. They could not give me an estimate of when available. If it fits in front of the muffler, seems like any system could add it. Per Borla, it tones the Atak to the S-type and the S-Type to the Touring.

Laz

Reaction score
I have the S-Type and it is a little loud on start-up but mellows quickly. It has also toned down some after 1500 miles. To me it is perfect, you can barely hear it on the interstate at cruising speed but what a sound when you get on it. Under normal driving you can definitely tell you have an exhaust but it is not too loud in my old humble opinion. I also asked Borla about the resonator. It is supposed to be a resonator that is installed in front of the muffler. They could not give me an estimate of when available. If it fits in front of the muffler, seems like any system could add it. Per Borla, it tones the Atak to the S-type and the S-Type to the Touring.
My exhaust installer called me today and stated that we cannot get the borla exhaust for the time being. Could it be that they are sold out or we using the wrong company to order from? Where has everyone else gotten theirs from.....???

Laz

Reaction score
If y'all could chime in with whom ya'll ordered your Borla exhaust with I'd be very much obliged...

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Magnaflow cat back, but I know www.hottexhaust.com is a supplier of both Borla and Magnaflow that often has discounts and free shipping that a lot of members used. ( I did in November and got 25% off and free shipping) Another supplier is www.gotexhaust.com that carries most brands. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Laz

Reaction score
I have the Magnaflow cat back, but I know www.hottexhaust.com is a supplier of both Borla and Magnaflow that often has discounts and free shipping that a lot of members used. ( I did in November and got 25% off and free shipping) Another supplier is www.gotexhaust.com that carries most brands. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I will have installer call the tomorrow, I'm trying to get at least 3-4 different companies so that if the first one or 2 or 3 dont have any in stock then the 4th maybe the one to it from. Thank you

Reaction score
This is an interesting read. I have to say I really like the stock exhaust system. It is quiet cruising. but has a nice tone when stepping into it. This 5.7L Hemi makes nice music.

Cheers. Ron

Reactions: Laz

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
I just ordered the S type today and should be arriving withing 4 days, looking forward to hearing the Hemi as it should sound...after all it's why we install aftermarket exhaust systems on our vehicles in the first place.

You won't be disappointed... It almost makes me look forward to driving to work every morning! ;)

I have the S-Type and it is a little loud on start-up but mellows quickly. It has also toned down some after 1500 miles. To me it is perfect, you can barely hear it on the interstate at cruising speed but what a sound when you get on it. Under normal driving you can definitely tell you have an exhaust but it is not too loud in my old humble opinion.

Great to hear... I only have about 200 miles on mine so looking forward to hearing what it sounds like in about a month.

Hey PorBoy... about how many miles did you run before pulling it off?

Laz

Reaction score
You won't be disappointed... It almost makes me look forward to driving to work every morning! ;)

Great to hear... I only have about 200 miles on mine so looking forward to hearing what it sounds like in about a month.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

Laz

Reaction score
Update, for whatever reason my installer wasn't able to get borla s-type exhaust but now it will be in by Friday or Monday and in will schedule install date shortly after that. I'll keep y'all posted

Pribilof

Reaction score
I got back my truck today Borla touring installed its louder than I expected! But it’s beautiful i absolutely love it! I definitely recommend it and would buy it & install it again no regrets!

The volume was a bit shocking when I first installed my Borla Touring. It's had a few dozen heat cycles now and has mellowed out a lot.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I did a quick search on 'exhaust break-in'. I'm in agreement with most people here that their exhausts on their American V8's have mellowed over time. It seems out there in internet land most chatter is to the contrary. Does anyone know 'why' the break-in period might change the tone / volume? The case for 'mellowing' makes the most sense to me as there may be carbon build up that would dampen the sound. Curious if anyone knows.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did a quick search on 'exhaust break-in'. I'm in agreement with most people here that their exhausts on their American V8's have mellowed over time. It seems out there in internet land most chatter is to the contrary. Does anyone know 'why' the break-in period might change the tone / volume? The case for 'mellowing' makes the most sense to me as there may be carbon build up that would dampen the sound. Curious if anyone knows.

I think some exhaust systems get louder over time, others mellow over time.

I think it was someone in another thread explaining how magnaflows and borlas due to how they're designed, mellow over time.
Supposedly some flowmasters and "Cherry bomb" style exhausts got louder.

Some exhausts if they get rust and leaks develop, will obviously let out extra sound with age!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Sadly since I don’t drive much that exhaust has about 400 miles on it.

Pribilof

Reaction score
My exhaust installer called me today and stated that we cannot get the borla exhaust for the time being. Could it be that they are sold out or we using the wrong company to order from? Where has everyone else gotten theirs from.....???

ebay

Users who are viewing this thread