5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Touring vs my S Type is this, both are aggressive as gofar as start up. While driving it does calm down and I’m able to have a pleasant conversation. Once you step on it, the beast comes out and slaps yaa mama lol. I really prefer this over my for sale S Type as this keeps the peace with my wife / daughters. I have to say if you’re not willing to accept some trade off, then my best advice for all is to stay stock. :)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Touring vs my S Type is this, both are aggressive as gofar as start up. While driving it does calm down and I’m able to have a pleasant conversation. Once you step on it, the beast comes out and slaps yaa mama lol. I really prefer this over my for sale S Type as this keeps the peace with my wife / daughters. I have to say if you’re not willing to accept some trade off, then my best advice for all is to stay stock. :)

Nice! sounds ideal.
Thunder cloud on start up, "louder than stock but manageable" when driving, and when you step on it, it opens a can of whoop *** you say?
I think this is what I'm lookin for.

I'm guessing the S-type is simply the louder version of the above in all phases?

R

ramit2019

I’ve always had Borla and did the Xr1 on,y 4th gen. But after all the videos I’ve found the Magnaflow has a deeper more mellow pure I’m looking for. I’ll post pics this weekend when I get it put on

PorBoy

Reaction score
That’s exactly what you will get with the S Type, again if left up to me I would have kept that and saved a ton of money. Imagine buying two Borla cat backs in less then a month for the same truck ha ha ha..

RenoRam

Reaction score
That’s exactly what you will get with the S Type, again if left up to me I would have kept that and saved a ton of money. Imagine buying two Borla cat backs in less then a month for the same truck ha ha ha..
Yeah true but you should have the sound and performance you want. In the end it will be worthwhile to you. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Touring system.

Notyabunnis

Reaction score
Sounds fantastic. Does anyone happen to have a like to any dyno charts? I've also been looking at Borla (only for the sound) but i'm curious what the performance gains might be

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always had Borla and did the Xr1 on,y 4th gen. But after all the videos I’ve found the Magnaflow has a deeper more mellow pure I’m looking for. I’ll post pics this weekend when I get it put on

Hmm.
I have an XR1 on my 4th gen Too.
It's just a touuch louder than what I'm looking for next time around.
But I do like that deep mellow sound. (for example the carven is more or less the opposite of what I'm looking for, as nicely made and cool as it is)

PorBoy

Reaction score
I can officially say that after 3 weeks of have the Borla Touring System on my truck it has completely mellowed out and is Perfect sounding at all rpm’s
Around how many miles would you say that you’ve put on during that time period please ?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question for you all.......It seems strange to me that an aftermarket exhaust actually "breaks in" and "changes" to a more mellow sound as many of you mention. What is inside of mufflers that has ability to change the sound? I thought it was a tuned shaped vessel with a straight through design. Is there some packing inside of muffler that changes its damping ability of sound with exposure to extended heat of exhaust? Or does interior get coated with soot that changes ability of sound to reflect off of interior surfaces? In my thinking, things that have no moving parts wouldn't break in but that is just my old brain analyzing the idea. (.....might need a nap now....lol...don't want to use up my last good working brain cells) I have a Magnaflow cat back on order for my Rebel with polished long deep 5" diameter tips for "bling" as rest of rig has no chrome, except Fuel Hardline wheels that are gloss black with milled bright accents in spokes. You say the Borla changes after break in, is that true of Magnaflow cat back system also? I called today and they are not shipping mine until mid December. :whistle: Lots of demand with the 25% sale I imagine.*****update**** my Magnaflow is shipping and will arrive Friday 12-14-18. Can't wait to get it on. IMG_3406.JPG

Last edited:

shaq1906

Reaction score
I installed the Borla Atak on my 2019 Ram limitied and it is loud as hell! This is my third Borla system and it is the loudest with this truck! Installation was about 1 and a half hours. Most have said it sounds like a hellcat!

grinch72

Reaction score
My touring shows up tomorrow. I really hope its not as loud as most are saying. I will switching back to stock quick! I want a bit louder but not annoying loud.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My touring shows up tomorrow. I really hope its not as loud as most are saying. I will switching back to stock quick! I want a bit louder but not annoying loud.

Well hey, it's supppposed to break in a little and get quieter- that was my experience with the Borla XR1!

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Magnaflow cat back system on order that is finally shipping so I hope to get it installed this weekend!!! I was afraid of getting a too loud and "barky" system. I have had a Borla side exhaust in the past on a 97 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 triton that I really liked and perfect sound. It did reduce the low end torque but I am sure designs and technology has advanced significantly since 1997. What I keep seeing in these threads is that Borla's of today are fairly loud (even in the touring system) and the Magnaflow full cat back is deeper thunder storm type of sound and no drone or excessive interior sound at cruising RPM yet sounds beasty when romping on the pedal. Am I correct that Magnaflow full cat back is safer choice if mellower sound is goal? IMG_3406.JPG

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^ Personally speaking I have no idea about the Magnaflow, but I’ve had (2) Borla exhaust on this 2019 already lol...

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ Personally speaking I have no idea about the Magnaflow, but I’ve had (2) Borla exhaust on this 2019 already lol...
Do they really "break in" and change sound? How many miles does it take? Louder or quieter? (My wife would have had a cow if I bought 2 systems!) Was their noticeable sound differences between systems? Thanks

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Do they really "break in" and change sound? How many miles does it take? Louder or quieter? (My wife would have had a cow if I bought 2 systems!) Was their noticeable sound differences between systems? Thanks
I've had various different catbacks or full systems on my Audi's and all have mellowed, quieted down, and become slightly less raspy after 1k-1300 miles.

PorBoy

Reaction score

Well for me I really didn’t break in the S Type as mywife wanted it pulled asap. The current Touring that I have has about 800 miles on it so I still have a way to go as far as breaking it in is concerned. My wife’s cool about the cost of things as long as I buy her whatever she wants lol.

Users who are viewing this thread