5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Touring System comparison vs Stock

RenoRam

Reaction score
I have a Magnaflow cat back system on order that is finally shipping so I hope to get it installed this weekend!!! I was afraid of getting a too loud and "barky" system. I have had a Borla side exhaust in the past on a 97 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 triton that I really liked and perfect sound. It did reduce the low end torque but I am sure designs and technology has advanced significantly since 1997. What I keep seeing in these threads is that Borla's of today are fairly loud (even in the touring system) and the Magnaflow full cat back is deeper thunder storm type of sound and no drone or excessive interior sound at cruising RPM yet sounds beasty when romping on the pedal. Am I correct that Magnaflow full cat back is safer choice if mellower sound is goal? View attachment 10494
I have the Magnaflow and it is a deeper sound. Gets loud when you step on it and is fine at cruising speed. No drone experienced with it or on my 14 Ram as well. This one has been on for about 5 weeks and it sounds great. It depends on what you're seeking but have found it to make me smile.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well for me I really didn’t break in the S Type as mywife wanted it pulled asap. The current Touring that I have has about 800 miles on it so I still have a way to go as far as breaking it in is concerned. My wife’s cool about the cost of things as long as I buy her whatever she wants lol.
Happy wife, Happy life! .....as the saying goes. :sneaky:

JAK

Reaction score
So just to report in again. I've had about 1.2k to 1.3k miles on the truck since I first installed the Touring system. I have to admit, it is growing on me alot. It has toned down significantly in terms of noise level to the point where I don't hear it most of the time when cruising (in 8th gear). I may still order the resonator when it comes out just to see how much difference it makes. At the noise level it has settled to right now, it's almost perfect for me. Not sure if the noise level will continue to mellow further with more miles, only time will tell.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just to report in again. I've had about 1600 miles on the truck since I first installed the Touring system. I have to admit, it is growing on me alot. It has toned down significantly in terms of noise level to the point where I don't hear it most of the time when cruising (in 8th gear). I may still order the resonator when it comes out just to see how much difference it makes. At the noise level it has settled to right now, it's almost perfect for me. Not sure if the noise level will continue to mellow further with more miles, only time will tell.

A mellowed in Borla sounds so good.
I have to admit though I'm dying with the stock sound - I'm coming from a broken in XR1, falling down to a stock system, and I almost can't tell the truck is on.
I was considering getting a FlowFx kit just to pass the time until I could afford a full borla system (in a few weeks), it's getting to me that bad!
Jump on a FlowFx right now? Hold on for the borla system in a few weeks.
Very tough mentally!

Glad to hear that the touring really is that damn good, it's making me think I just need to wait

JAK

Reaction score
It does sound really good. Not gonna lie, I've had so many compliments on the truck and the exhaust even from other 19' RAM owners. The sound profile on the borla just sounds so much different compared to other ones I've heard (in a good way).

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does sound really good. Not gonna lie, I've had so many compliments on the truck and the exhaust even from other 19' RAM owners. The sound profile on the borla just sounds so much different compared to other ones I've heard (in a good way).

100% That.

Some exhausts have this "motorcycle" quality to it, a raspyness that I think is a litttle too much?
Others have this "angry sports-car" sound.

I think Borla really has a good "truck" sound, if that makes any sense.
You hear it fire up and you think to yourself, "okay, this is what it's SUPPOSED to sound like."

JAK

Reaction score
100% That.

Some exhausts have this "motorcycle" quality to it, a raspyness that I think is a litttle too much?
Others have this "angry sports-car" sound.

I think Borla really has a good "truck" sound, if that makes any sense.
You hear it fire up and you think to yourself, "okay, this is what it's SUPPOSED to sound like."

Nailed it on the head. Couldn't have described it any better.

Ramlax

Reaction score
So just to report in again. I've had about 1.2k to 1.3k miles on the truck since I first installed the Touring system. I have to admit, it is growing on me alot. It has toned down significantly in terms of noise level to the point where I don't hear it most of the time when cruising (in 8th gear). I may still order the resonator when it comes out just to see how much difference it makes. At the noise level it has settled to right now, it's almost perfect for me. Not sure if the noise level will continue to mellow further with more miles, only time will tell.

This is exsctly how I feel about it, after 3 weeks and 1500 miles it’s settled down to be pretty close to exactly what I was looking for

Nachizl8

Reaction score
My touring shows up tomorrow. I really hope its not as loud as most are saying. I will switching back to stock quick! I want a bit louder but not annoying loud.
My Touring arrived on Monday and I couldn't wait for the weekend have it installed. I literally just got back from the shop having it installed. Just adding my two cents, everyone who previously had it installed said "louder than expected" and...louder than expected lollll. Nice deep rumble immediately put a smile on my face and it finally sounded like it was suppose to. Personally I wouldn't go louder than the Touring but thats just me. I cant wait to put some miles on this and im eager to see how it mellows out like others have mentioned.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Touring arrived on Monday and I couldn't wait for the weekend have it installed. I literally just got back from the shop having it installed. Just adding my two cents, everyone who previously had it installed said "louder than expected" and...louder than expected lollll. Nice deep rumble immediately put a smile on my face and it finally sounded like it was suppose to. Personally I wouldn't go louder than the Touring but thats just me. I cant wait to put some miles on this and im eager to see how it mellows out like others have mentioned.

That first cold start is a heck of a thing to hear LOL
It's also such a crazy experience when that stock muffler is almost totally silent right

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I knew you'd end up liking it! I put a Corsa Sport on my Jeep and freaked out the first time I fired it up. But now I couldn't live without it! When my Ram arrives (hopefully early January) I'll likely go the Borla Touring route. And knowing there's a resonator coming makes it a very safe choice. Thanks for all the great information.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAK

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the resonator is solely for the ATAK & the S Type, please Borla correct me if I am wrong. :)

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
I believe someone said in this thread a resonator for the Touring was to be released. I may have misread that.

JAK

Reaction score
I think the resonator is solely for the ATAK & the S Type, please Borla correct me if I am wrong. :)

I believe someone said in this thread a resonator for the Touring was to be released. I may have misread that.

I emailed Borla about the sound issue and they told me that a resonator is also coming for the touring system.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question; the Ram 1500 exhaust doesn't look like it has any kind of resonator. In the case of the Atak for the Jeep GC SRT for instnance, I believe the Borla add-on resonator actually replaces the one that comes with the ATAK. In our case where does the add-on resonator plug-in?

Attachments

• 140758_xlarge.jpg
    140758_xlarge.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 79

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. That is a really good question and since we have a Borla person on here, maybe he can quickly answer this for us.

Leif_Ram2019

Reaction score
It looks like Borla only has exhausts for the CC truck with 5'7" bed. My truck is a CC with 6'4" bed. I've emailed Borla asking 1) if they plan to release a compatible exhaust and/or 2) Their exahaust can easily be extended. In the meantime, curious if anyone here can shed any light.

dreinert

Reaction score
Any feedback on how's the sound when MDS / Eco mode turns on?

I have stock exhaust and when I bought it I could hardly tell but now I'm either tuned into it or it's changed but I think it's awful...sounds awful and "feels" awful. I nervous to change because I'm thinking it just make it even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread