5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla S-type exhaust

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Borla on my 2016 rebel - XR1 muffler, rest of it is stock.
Tiny bit of drone, total thundercloud on startup, rumbles nicely, and roars when you get on it!

Truth be told, I'd like to take it a notch down. Not a whole lot down, just a little. I'm thinking the S-type could be just the ticket

Rich_Neagle

Reaction score
Great news fellas. I contacted Borla if they are willing to do a group buy discount and they said yes and No. If we would like to do this, They would like to get the payment in just one account only and then can ship separately. Ryan who I talked to are willing to give 36.5% discount if we can get 10 to commit on this group buy. Shipping will be depending where you live. Anybody here got time to facilitate this? His contact email is [email protected]
I'm down

mk12booze

Reaction score
Contacted Ryan again. He said for the group buy to happen, it has to be at least $10k including discounts. So assuming it would be $725 plus shipping, we need at least 14 people.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Contacted Ryan again. He said for the group buy to happen, it has to be at least $10k including discounts. So assuming it would be $725 plus shipping, we need at least 14 people.

Count me in at that price , can pay anytime

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me in at that price , can pay anytime

Mk12 good man, I'm in too
(after I submit my order, which should be this week!)

Thank you very much for reaching out to Borla, it's an awesome idea

cjgerson

Reaction score
I am in

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Does it all have to be the same version?

mk12booze

Reaction score
Ok here’s what Ryan from Borla wants. He wants us to make list of who wants to join this group buy and list the Name, part number and zipcode for shipping estimate. We need to have at least 14 people to get the minimum 10k that he wanted. Then, we need to set a bank account where we can send the money and as soon as everyone’s payment are received. Shipping will follow.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Ok here’s what Ryan from Borla wants. He wants us to make list of who wants to join this group buy and list the Name, part number and zipcode for shipping estimate. We need to have at least 14 people to get the minimum 10k that he wanted. Then, we need to set a bank account where we can send the money and as soon as everyone’s payment are received. Shipping will follow.

I can email you my name and info if that will get the ball rolling. So far i see we have 5 people on here interested correct me if im wrong.... Wondering how long this will take to get all 12 ?

John813

Reaction score
Who will run the bank account? Admin/mod? Or bank account of someone at Borla?

Been on forums long enough to be wary of giving some poster a large sum of money just to go awol.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I talked to a gentleman from Borla on the phone this morning, naturally the phone crackled when I got his name - but he was ultra helpful

For those with general questions about the S-type:
- "Will it be too loud?" They will soon have a comparison video with their systems coming out.
Basically the ATAK system is for a real enthusiast that cannot get enough! Sounds like if you have a kid next door with a coffee can on a Honda and you need to assert your dominance, this is your system. The Touring system isn't that much louder than stock. It breathes better and flows better, but it's not too much of a sound upgrade volume wise.
- The S-type really is their bread and butter and they sell a lot of it. It really is the noise level that most people are looking for and can live with on a day to day.
- "What about drone" They reiterated it's a drone free system, it is tuned specifically to the Ram, knowing MDS is a factor. Considering it's basically the same 5.7 Hemi Ram has had for many years, they have a lot of experience with it.

I look forward to seeing the comparo youtube video, though I'm leaning heavily toward an S-type system.
I currently have an XR1 muffler (stock setup) on a 2016 Ram. As it's not a ground up system, I can't say it performs like the S-type, but it is somewhat similar to the S-type. What I can say about having had one for 2 years?

- The sound on start up puts a smile on your face, and makes it easier to find your truck in parking lots, that's for sure!
- Not one of my friends thinks the exhaust is "too loud" or too much. It was louder than the (quiet) stock exhaust for sure. To get it to roar, you have to really stomp. However the moment you do? The moment that prius that's been camping the left lane for the last 10minutes moves over, and you go hammer down? The satisfaction...
ijya0vi6kuoz.png
In the time of CUVs with 2.4L engines, you're driving 5800lbs of 'murica riding on 33inches of tire, with over twice the engine size. You're already paying for hemi gas mileage, the oil to fill it, you might as well get the soundtrack to go with it! Nothing makes you giggle like (safely) making a pass on the highway and getting that satisfying distinctly truck-like exhaust sound.
- Does my XR1 with stock setup drone? Slightly in selection situations, it doesn't NOT drone, but it's very slight and only on 4cylinder MDS mode. It does not sound like a C-130.
I can still hear my radio, no highway headaches, it was actually better at speed. This happened because it was not a ground up system I was running it in, a stock system with the resonators and everything tuned to the stock parts.
I had a 40085 XR1 muffler, with a Y pipe added - just the stock muffler removed, all put together by a local mechanic I trust. I look forward to running it in a properly built and tested system by guys who will likely end up putting it on their own vehicles.

A suggestion and idea: I think people are in for the idea of a group buy, but the horror stories of guys getting burned on other boards will keep that number down. I do not know if this would create a lot of hassle for Borla? But if Borla handled the money start to finish, and we handed them a list of who to expect the orders from, that might get our numbers up.

Last edited:

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Talked to a shop in town who called to fimd out about their stype Borla will be releasing that in 1 to 1.5 months for the 19's he said ?!?!? Thought it was out already

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ Nope, they will not be out until possibly the second full week in November.

So piecing this together it looks like the timetable is this:
- They've designed/tested it
- Videos were shot, the second one comparing their 3 exhausts is due in about 2 weeks.
- Next they gear up for production
- After they have enough to fulfill their orders (pre-orders), dealers go next.
- The gentleman who talked to his dealer in town may have been told that 1-1.5month figure as the release timing for the retailer order network (vs direct from them) and he might be relaying it accurately.

I'm looking forward to the all 3 video to see which sound I prefer, touring or S-type, as I'm leaning to S-type.
One thing is for sure, I don't plan on keeping it stock, and it will wear a borla!

mk12booze

Reaction score
So I ordered one from summit. The S system. $985 plus you can get an additional $50 off with the code on the website. So $935 no tax and free shipping.

Let us know when you install it. Maybe you can take more videos. Thanks

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like around Nov 5th right now. Would not be surprised if that gets moved.

Hmm.
They might be ready to go right around when that next youtube video drops?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bumping this thread so people can see it and consider if they're interested in the idea of mk12's group buy!

Ramajama

Reaction score
Meh, I’d rather spend $150 on a 14” Magna Flow and call it fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread