5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Exhaust

Gipraw

Reaction score
The only way to disable MDS without buying something is:

- Select '8' on the +/- gear selector on the steering wheel
- Select/activate tow/haul mode

The downside is that you have to make those selections every time you start the truck.

Those are the only 2 methods I know of to disable MDS short of 3rd party products (TazerDT, custom tune, etc.).

That’s what I do. I just use +/- to select gear 8 and leave it. I don’t do it all the time, so it isn’t overly annoying to do it when I dont want eco.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I have the full Catback Touring from Borla and I love it. As for sound it’s quiet when you want it to be and at highway speed. It’s even quiet at 65 mph and I have the 3.92 gears. Also this is food for thought. Don’t hack up your factory catback. Do it right and replace it with a full system. Two reasons for this it always allows you to go back to stock and if so or need be you can sale the Borla system if someone wants the truck stock. At the time of resale especially to a dealership, they will put the most money in a stock truck and to a third party will appreciate it and pay you more for a truck with a complete system and not one that has been cut or welded on.
That's why I went with a full catback (ATAK). I was looking at the carven and B2FAB but didn't want to cut it up. With air suspension on offroad 2, I was able to remove it all in one piece without cutting and putting my truck on a lift/ramps.

IzzysAuto

Reaction score
Same here I put the air in off-road and I removed both pieces without cutting

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with just a Borla ProXS muffler and like it. I kept the resonators and I get very little drone when MDS kicks in. I can hear my truck going down the road from my driveway (350 feet away) and it sounds great as it continues to drive away.

I'm just guessing but I'd guess it probably sounds similar to the touring. I didn't want something as loud as the Atak and didn't want to spend $1000 for the touring or S. There are a lot of videos on this site of other members who also have the muffler.

I'm very satisfied with it for $200 all in.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I went with just a Borla ProXS muffler and like it. I kept the resonators and I get very little drone when MDS kicks in. I can hear my truck going down the road from my driveway (350 feet away) and it sounds great as it continues to drive away.

I'm just guessing but I'd guess it probably sounds similar to the touring. I didn't want something as loud as the Atak and didn't want to spend $1000 for the touring or S. There are a lot of videos on this site of other members who also have the muffler.

I'm very satisfied with it for $200 all in.
I'm glad you're satisfied. I kind of kick myself for spending so much but I was really worried about drone. It all depends on an individual's ear on what is a good exhaust tone or not.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What tint did you go with?
Thanks! No level. The video was recorded in Offroad 1. I’ve had no rubbing in normal, offroad1, or Offroad 2. I disabled Aero mode, so I haven’t checked for rubbing in aero or Entry/exit. Discount Tire says this is the biggest tire with no rubbing or trimming required

Ram Dude

Reaction score
I'm glad you're satisfied. I kind of kick myself for spending so much but I was really worried about drone. It all depends on an individual's ear on what is a good exhaust tone or not.
I felt the same after paying so much for my Borla S-Type, but the fact that it is seamless, don’t have to think about possible drone, etc. it’s worth it...Like the adage - “You get what you pay for”

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I felt the same after paying so much for my Borla S-Type, but the fact that it is seamless, don’t have to think about possible drone, etc. it’s worth it...Like the adage - “You get what you pay for”

Hopefully I wasn't coming off as knocking anyone for their choice. I think the Atak and S type sound awesome! It honestly just came down to money. I knew my wife would lose her mind if I spent $1000 on a full cat back on my brand new truck. She wasn't thrilled about the mods I did anyways lol. I also think the Atak would just be too loud for us with a toddler and a five year old. My five year old asked me why the truck always sounds like it's on fire coming out the back with my current muffler lol.

Totally understand the reluctance due to drone. I took a few forum members reviews to heart. The only bad review I've seen is from a guy who got his resonators cut out as well. Just in case anyone else is reading this and would like more info the only time I ever notice drone in my cab is when I'm cruising around 25-40 mph and MDS kicks in. Mostly on back country roads. If MDS kicks in on the highway it's silent. So it's just not an issue to me but I've seen the videos of bad drone and I agree. It would be awful if you're dealing with it.

Big Tup

Reaction score
If you do a full Cat Back the pipes are a bigger size and you get bigger tips. I have the Touring on mine and love it
Hi CharlieP, What year/model Ram do you have? I am considering the Touring for my 2021 Ram limited longhorn. I dont want anything too loud, but looking for something a little more than stock. How would you compare the Touring to stock and what about interior noise?

Klicht87

Reaction score
Hopefully I wasn't coming off as knocking anyone for their choice. I think the Atak and S type sound awesome! It honestly just came down to money. I knew my wife would lose her mind if I spent $1000 on a full cat back on my brand new truck. She wasn't thrilled about the mods I did anyways lol. I also think the Atak would just be too loud for us with a toddler and a five year old. My five year old asked me why the truck always sounds like it's on fire coming out the back with my current muffler lol.

Totally understand the reluctance due to drone. I took a few forum members reviews to heart. The only bad review I've seen is from a guy who got his resonators cut out as well. Just in case anyone else is reading this and would like more info the only time I ever notice drone in my cab is when I'm cruising around 25-40 mph and MDS kicks in. Mostly on back country roads. If MDS kicks in on the highway it's silent. So it's just not an issue to me but I've seen the videos of bad drone and I agree. It would be awful if you're dealing with it.
I didn't take it as knocking at all. The MDS always sounds funny with aftermarket exhaust systems. You could always use the gear limiter on the steering wheel and just set it to 8. It will still cycle through all gears but MDS won't kick in. You do notice it with the Borla systems but it's not bad to me.

I added the borla front resonator to my atak and it virtually eliminated almost all noise until you step on it. I love the sound of the ATAK but cruising on the highway gets kind of annoying. I swap the front resonator with the extension pipe every no and then when I want to hear it roar.

CharlieP

Reaction score
Hi CharlieP, What year/model Ram do you have? I am considering the Touring for my 2021 Ram limited longhorn. I dont want anything too loud, but looking for something a little more than stock. How would you compare the Touring to stock and what about interior noise?
Hey Tup: I have a 2019 Laramie Non E torque. sounds much better then stock, Nice deep sound loud enough to be heard and really opens up when you get in the gas. No drone in the cab but you know the exhaust is there.

SMJBAV

Reaction score
The only way to disable MDS without buying something is:

- Select '8' on the +/- gear selector on the steering wheel
- Select/activate tow/haul mode

Thank you for your reply.

Big Tup

Reaction score
Hey Tup: I have a 2019 Laramie Non E torque. sounds much better then stock, Nice deep sound loud enough to be heard and really opens up when you get in the gas. No drone in the cab but you know the exhaust is there.
thanks for the feedback!

Cryptick

Reaction score
Does swapping out the stock exhaust sytem for the Borla Atk system void warranty?

Klicht87

Reaction score
Does swapping out the stock exhaust sytem for the Borla Atk system void warranty?
This goes under the Magnussen-Moss Act. A warranty is only voided if the part you replaced caused any related damage to a system.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I got the Borla S-type and installed it today. For the price, I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the fitment. I need to contact Borla about this. Here's what I found for issues from front to back.
1. The front hanger, with the front of the muffler bolted up, does not fit into the rubber isolator. The hanger hook wants to go through the same isolator hole that's connected to the truck. I think I saw someone else mention this as an issue with their's also. I turned the isolator and have the post going thru a wrong hole just so it has something to hold it up. (pic 1)
100887-9d3ee64a8ad55be92ac0330f332fc973.jpg

2. The muffler can is only a hair away from the frame, so the lightest touch and it bangs on the frame. There's no clearance at all. (pic 2 and pic 2_2)
100888-832527358febf40862447f84c50115aa.jpg
100889-5ff8e66d84f41d9421c184d7f6fae43e.jpg

3. The passenger side pipe is also touching the jounce bumper mount. (pic 3 and pic 3_2 )
100890-e326b9ffd6810878045bf4a1c440eedf.jpg
100891-25d04b23d6059bfbca8eebab37968820.jpg

4. The passenger rear hanger is not staying on the isolator and keeps coming loose, allowing the tip to not remain centered. (pic 4)
100892-aaafa5f879ebefeb8a7315672349a583.jpg

1Mopar

Reaction score
Price and maybe drone.

Full cat-backs are designed to not drone where you might/might not get drone on a chop and swap.
I did the "chop and swap" and just put a Borla
S type muffler and left the resinators. No drone at all. Got the Borla on Amazon and got the local muffler shop to weld it on. Very happy with the result.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Well, I got the Borla S-type and installed it today. For the price, I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the fitment. I need to contact Borla about this. Here's what I found for issues from front to back.
1. The front hanger, with the front of the muffler bolted up, does not fit into the rubber isolator. The hanger hook wants to go through the same isolator hole that's connected to the truck. I think I saw someone else mention this as an issue with their's also. I turned the isolator and have the post going thru a wrong hole just so it has something to hold it up. (pic 1)
100887-9d3ee64a8ad55be92ac0330f332fc973.jpg

2. The muffler can is only a hair away from the frame, so the lightest touch and it bangs on the frame. There's no clearance at all. (pic 2 and pic 2_2)
100888-832527358febf40862447f84c50115aa.jpg
100889-5ff8e66d84f41d9421c184d7f6fae43e.jpg

3. The passenger side pipe is also touching the jounce bumper mount. (pic 3 and pic 3_2 )
100890-e326b9ffd6810878045bf4a1c440eedf.jpg
100891-25d04b23d6059bfbca8eebab37968820.jpg

4. The passenger rear hanger is not staying on the isolator and keeps coming loose, allowing the tip to not remain centered. (pic 4)
100892-aaafa5f879ebefeb8a7315672349a583.jpg
Seems like something it mounted backwards to have that much misalignment issues

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I follow what you mean by installed backwards. With all of the hangers pre welded on, you can't install it backwards. However, if the 1st pipe and hanger are slightly off, it gets exaggerated as it travels to the rear of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online