5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot Monitor - Temporarily Unavailable

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For me it’s the rear cross path detection , it just happens to come with BSM . The rear cross path detection detects pedestrians as well as vehicles .
I get it. And I'm not bagging on anyone who thinks they are necessary. It's nice to have these things. But I've gotten through 40 years of driving without them, with bigger vehicles than this. My concern is when people become dependent on them. For me nothing will replace mirrors and actually turning my head to look out windows. Same for backing up. The backup and 360 view camera are nice supplements though.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me it’s the rear cross path detection , it just happens to come with BSM . The rear cross path detection detects pedestrians as well as vehicles .
I'm sort of disappointed with the cross path detection on the ram compared to other cars I have had which gives you nice visual indicators in cluster with direction of cross traffic it is sensing . With the ram. When I put in reverse the reverse sensors make basically same sound as cross path detection and rear se senskrs.

Another thing when in reverse the front sensors are sensing and sounding off front objects which makes me stop and look at dash to find it is front object(that you reversing from). Some what wish there was option to automatically disable front sensors when in reverse. Not worth manually disabling each time.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get it. And I'm not bagging on anyone who thinks they are necessary. It's nice to have these things. But I've gotten through 40 years of driving without them, with bigger vehicles than this. My concern is when people become dependent on them. For me nothing will replace mirrors and actually turning my head to look out windows. Same for backing up. The backup and 360 view camera are nice supplements though.
I agree , I always turn my head to look before changing lanes . I live across the road from a school and in the winter we have snow mounds higher than my truck on either side , it’s nice that it detects kids when I physically can’t see them .

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Mine gave me that warning once. I then proceeded to turn my head and look over my shoulder.
My problem is being very short (5'2") and having issues seeing very low-profile vehicles in the blind spot on my truck when trying to change lanes to the right. Looking over my shoulder does not help with this, the rear windows and are higher than many cars and my line of sight doesn't start high enough to see them if they are right alongside. The mirrors do help obviously, but it's nice to have the BSM too.

Frankly, the older I get, the more I realize that I'm not as sharp as I once was. The more assurance I have that I'm not doing anything stupid, the better. I don't *rely* on it, but I appreciate a warning if I've potentially misjudged. It's also saved my a$$ in my SUV when I was almost into the lane I was merging to and the guy two lanes over decided he owned it already and whipped over. It was VERY close, and I'm not sure I would have avoided it without the audible indication since I WAS clear when I started merging and I was 75% in the lane already.

Just my $0.02 (and then some lol) on why someone might find BSM desirable, I guess?

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Yeah, the backing up thing - I can't see anything short right behind my truck by looking directly out the rear window. In my mind, just because it was clear when I got in doesn't mean there isn't a child/pet/whatever there when I go to back up, and looking out the rear window does not allow me to visualize things 3' tall standing mere inches from my bumper. Obviously I still look out the rear window, check the mirrors, all the things, but the added assurance of that backup camera is real nice too.

Maybe it's a lack of driving experience on my part or something. I definitely haven't logged as many miles as a lot of people (probably between 500-600k to date), don't have quite as many years behind the wheel as you mentioned, and this vehicle is bigger than pretty much anything else I've driven regularly (except my old Suburban, that thing was HUGE). I'll take my technology with a please-and-thank-you and acknowledge my shortcomings, I guess.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BSM and cross path will be must haves on every vehicle going forward. Blind spots are not as large on the RAM as my previous F150, but still a must have. I have some neck problems and depending on the day can't turn my head very well. The cross path is great for when backing out of my driveway, since I live at a T and cars can come from 3 directions (and often run the stop sign). Also great in parking lots. These not being available on Laramie is why I ordered a Limited.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brother I’m sure we can all drive without it but why would you want to? Would you rather drop a dime in a pay phone? No not a quarter. Let’s go back to when calls were a dime. Lol. Break out the road atlas next time your on a road trip 😂😂😂. It’s called technology and as it improves we improve. It’s called blind spot monitoring for a reason. There are spots where vehicles can’t be seen in our mirrors. If you can get it get it. If I could get a clone to show up in my job for me I’d be all in

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Brother I’m sure we can all drive without it but why would you want to? Would you rather drop a dime in a pay phone? No not a quarter. Let’s go back to when calls were a dime. Lol. Break out the road atlas next time your on a road trip 😂😂😂. It’s called technology and as it improves we improve. It’s called blind spot monitoring for a reason. There are spots where vehicles can’t be seen in our mirrors. If you can get it get it. If I could get a clone to show up in my job for me I’d be all in
Honestly there are times when I would rather use physical maps than a nav system. Again, that's how I did things for most of my life. Don't get me wrong, technology can and does make life better. And it has allowed me to provide a comfortable life for my family. But it also has it's own issues. Can't tell you how many times a nav system has given me wrong directions, made me miss an exit, or made my trip longer than it would have if I had been using an actual map. Even google maps places my house about 100 yards down the block from where it actually is, and on the opposite side of the street. :ROFLMAO: I'm driving a very technologically advanced truck, so of course I understand how technology improves our lives.

It's more about preference with BSM for me. If you want it then get it. If you want it or think it makes you a better/safer driver then it will be there for you. It's not a deal breaker for me. My Limited has BSM but I really don't use it. On a related note, what are your feelings about self-driving cars?

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah not sure I can completely trust that concept. But real quick on the BSM. The beauty of it is you couldn’t help but notice as you normally look in your side view to switch lanes. I don’t actually just look at my BSM to see if it’s in or off to than just jump lanes. I too am fully using my mirror as if I didn’t have BSM but every once in a while that light will show you something you can’t see for that split second. Ofcourse if I didn’t have it I might have to completely turn my head around like the exorcist to see all around😂😂😂

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh I absolutely notice it when the light comes on in the mirror. But I acknowledge it as more of a secondary indicator. There's not a lot of lane switching for me on my normal commute, and I'm sure that's a factor in it not being an important feature for me. It would be more important to me if I did a lot of freeway driving in heavy traffic.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Honestly there are times when I would rather use physical maps than a nav system. Again, that's how I did things for most of my life. Don't get me wrong, technology can and does make life better. And it has allowed me to provide a comfortable life for my family. But it also has it's own issues. Can't tell you how many times a nav system has given me wrong directions, made me miss an exit, or made my trip longer than it would have if I had been using an actual map. Even google maps places my house about 100 yards down the block from where it actually is, and on the opposite side of the street. :ROFLMAO: I'm driving a very technologically advanced truck, so of course I understand how technology improves our lives.

It's more about preference with BSM for me. If you want it then get it. If you want it or think it makes you a better/safer driver then it will be there for you. It's not a deal breaker for me. My Limited has BSM but I really don't use it. On a related note, what are your feelings about self-driving cars?
I definitely agree with you about nav, it isn't reliable in many more remote areas. Having traveled extensively out west, paper/physical maps are a necessity.

Self-driving cars are a very different thing from augmenting the information a human driver receives about their environment. I'm not sure how the two relate.

GoMango16

Reaction score
My truck goes in Wednesday to have the module in the taillight replaced for the same alert.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you about nav, it isn't reliable in many more remote areas. Having traveled extensively out west, paper/physical maps are a necessity.

Self-driving cars are a very different thing from augmenting the information a human driver receives about their environment. I'm not sure how the two relate.
The two are not related except they are both newer technology. I realize BSM has been around for a bit, and self-driving cars are still in their infancy, but neither existed for the bulk of the time I've been driving. ;)

Volunteer1589

Reaction score
Having BSM in my Laramie has been great so far. For some reason I cannot understand, I get the unavailable warning when driving over one certain bridge headed to the beach. It has always worked everywhere else except for this one bridge. Any idea what causes it to go out? I’m thinking humidity or air pressure being close to the ocean could be the culprit.

BAM214

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Have they done the ground recall on your truck ?
I had very similar issues with my 2020 ram . Was told by the dealership to just disconnect the battery for 30 min and reconnect and all the issues were gone

BlackLarry

Reaction score
Any further resolution to this..? BSM, radio ac windows all went out today. So I tried the battery trick turned it back on after a few hours and happened all over again.

Ricass

Reaction score
With my 2019 Ram Laramie. It starts out very intermittent and worsens over time. It affects more than just the blind spot monitor as well. My radio will cut out and in, my front door windowa won't work or work intermittently, Heated/cooled seats are inop and its difficult to adjust any environmental controls. I took my 2019 Ram into the dealer for the first time 3 months ago. The trouble shot for 3 days and chased it down to a faulty module in the drivers side door. Changed it and it was fine for a short period. It has since returned. I am visiting my dealership for the second time for the same issue. Again the technician downloaded 27 pages of fault codes that were saved in the computer. Now they are talking to engineers at Chrysler and a lead mechanic for the region. They think at this point, it may be a bad wire bundle that was installed in many 2019 and 2020 ram trucks according to my service manager. I hope they can nail this down to a hard fault and swap out what ever is confusing or burning up these modules. I will try and keep this thread posted as I get information. Keep and eye on your information panel. If it worsens and other things like heated/cooled seats are inop, radio cuts out and in front driver/passenger windows work intermittently are examples of further degradation. If so, take it into your dealer and have them look into it. So glad I bought the extended warranty with this truck. Good luck.
I am experiencing the exact same problem with my 2020 Laramie. Did you ever get yours resolved?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am experiencing the exact same problem with my 2020 Laramie. Did you ever get yours resolved?
Hey Ricass,

If you decide to take your vehicle to your dealer for assistance, please DM us. We'd love to advocate for you while your vehicle is at the dealership.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread