5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot Monitor - Temporarily Unavailable

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it happening on my '21 Laramie now. I had a woman back into the truck and crunched the Driver's taillight.
I thought I purchased a used OEM taillight but it turned out to be aftermarket. It had a BSS that was an AB part#
from Chrysler, So I put my Factory AE # from Mopar in the "new" taillight. Error keeps coming and going. I suspected
that when LEER wired up the lights in the Cap, they used those awful Splice connectors. I pulled them apart and
Soldered all the wires putting liquid insulation over the bare wires, then wrapping each connection with Electrical tape,
then wrapping the whole harness.

I am sill getting the Error. I was going to try to put the wiring from the old tail light into the new Housing. But I don't
think I can get the PCB edge connector back on the PCB inside the Housing. I can push the one off easily.

I actually took the old housing apart to see the inside. I might get a Pic of it posted later.

Malodave

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have it happening on my '21 Laramie now. I had a woman back into the truck and crunched the Driver's taillight.
I thought I purchased a used OEM taillight but it turned out to be aftermarket. It had a BSS that was an AB part#
from Chrysler, So I put my Factory AE # from Mopar in the "new" taillight. Error keeps coming and going. I suspected
that when LEER wired up the lights in the Cap, they used those awful Splice connectors. I pulled them apart and
Soldered all the wires putting liquid insulation over the bare wires, then wrapping each connection with Electrical tape,
then wrapping the whole harness.

I am sill getting the Error. I was going to try to put the wiring from the old tail light into the new Housing. But I don't
think I can get the PCB edge connector back on the PCB inside the Housing. I can push the one off easily.

I actually took the old housing apart to see the inside. I might get a Pic of it posted later.

Malodave
I installed china tail lights when I added the BSM to my big horn.
A few of the sockets pushed back into the plug when I made the connection.
I had an error about BSM needing service until I figured out what happened and pushed the sockets into the plug and held them securely while making the connection. It's worked ever since then, about 5 months ago.

Maybe you have the same problem?

Sockets.png

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had an error about BSM needing service until I figured out what happened and pushed the sockets into the plug and held them securely while making the connection. It's worked ever since then, about 5 months ago.

View attachment 165420
I will give it a shot when I get home. Thanks

Malodave

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 165420

That's what it was. The White wire's connector pushed back about 3/8" making for the intermitent connection
of the Blind Spot Sensor causing the CANBUS Errors. As I first put the BSS connector back on, I could feel it being
pushed back. I put it back in place and held it with a very small flat screwdriver. All is back together now and I will
see if that really fixes my Problem.

Thanks for the Heads up info.

Malodave

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what it was. The White wire's connector pushed back about 3/8" making for the intermitent connection
of the Blind Spot Sensor causing the CANBUS Errors. As I first put the BSS connector back on, I could feel it being
pushed back. I put it back in place and held it with a very small flat screwdriver. All is back together now and I will
see if that really fixes my Problem.

Thanks for the Heads up info.

Malodave
I'm happy to help.
It sure sounds like you found the problem!

Other than that issue with mine, I haven't had any problems with the lights or BSM since install.
I did add weather stripping to the inside edge of the light to seal against the metal so water doesn't get driven into the backside of the fixture.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm happy to help.
It sure sounds like you found the problem!

Other than that issue with mine, I haven't had any problems with the lights or BSM since install.
I did add weather stripping to the inside edge of the light to seal against the metal so water doesn't get driven into the backside of the fixture.
I noticed there was none on the new light. I do have some sticky foam sheets I can use. I just have to cut it into strips.

Malodave

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First try to fix failed. I was going to replace the inside wiring harness with the stock one from the original tail light.
After cutting into the back of the taillight housing and getting the aftermarket harness out,I started to trace the wires.
They went to different connections on the PCBs. So I did the original repair again, reinstalled the Harness, and sealed
up the taillight with black RTV. Drove the 1100 miles home and a couple of weeks later with no CANBUS errors.

Yea! it is finally fixed.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread