5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein Availability

Codybenz

Reaction score
i went through bilstein lifts and for an extra $199 chose to have them assemble them as a complete coilover. this way i can install them myself without using or renting a spring compressor and also allowing me to sell my factory bilsteins as a complete assembly. but yes that's the going price on many websites
Ha, I work at an automotive dealer and have all the equipment to do it..... and it’s still tempting just to pay the extra.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if i have a a rebel do i need to add the 5100 for rear ? Whatis the stock shock on rear?

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
well, took off the 5160s reservoir bracket to flip it and the bracket has grooves inside that make it so if it's flipped the "bilstein" Branding will be upside down so i put it back to normal, just have to deal with not having the branding exposed on the right side but no big deal. Have read some downsides of shock boots so i am removing them, also i think they look better without the boot. There's a metal sleeve on top of the boot that's about 1/2in tall im going to remove from boot and keep it on the shaft so that the washers can sit as intended 20210330_202352.jpg

Nsm42

Reaction score
well, took off the 5160s reservoir bracket to flip it and the bracket has grooves inside that make it so if it's flipped the "bilstein" Branding will be upside down so i put it back to normal, just have to deal with not having the branding exposed on the right side but no big deal. Have read some downsides of shock boots so i am removing them, also i think they look better without the boot. There's a metal sleeve on top of the boot that's about 1/2in tall im going to remove from boot and keep it on the shaft so that the washers can sit as intended View attachment 87649
Thanks for posting the attempt to flip the bracket. At least it’ll perform as intended. I ordered from 4WP and my 6112s and left rear 5160 are ready to ship to me. I’m debating ordering a 2nd left rear 5160 but I actually found a solid deal on a brand new set of Fox 2.5 rears for about $300 cheaper than the best going rate. They’ll be here tomorrow. If I go this route I’m going to have to spend a ton more for the front coilovers and higher quality UCAs eventually since I’ve only got the Mopar UCAs up front with 5100s on clip 5 on my Rebel which are way too stiff for the family and I. 😔

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the attempt to flip the bracket. At least it’ll perform as intended. I ordered from 4WP and my 6112s and left rear 5160 are ready to ship to me. I’m debating ordering a 2nd left rear 5160 but I actually found a solid deal on a brand new set of Fox 2.5 rears for about $300 cheaper than the best going rate. They’ll be here tomorrow. If I go this route I’m going to have to spend a ton more for the front coilovers and higher quality UCAs eventually since I’ve only got the Mopar UCAs up front with 5100s on clip 5 on my Rebel which are way too stiff for the family and I. 😔
i almost went with fox but it would have cost about 3500 total. with the bilsteins and zone uca i ended up only spending about $1900. the zones were 499 and I've had them on my previous 2014 ram and loved them, they're very well built and beefy 20210327_200732.jpg

jgates237

Reaction score
i went through bilstein lifts and for an extra $199 chose to have them assemble them as a complete coilover. this way i can install them myself without using or renting a spring compressor and also allowing me to sell my factory bilsteins as a complete assembly. but yes that's the going price on many websites
Just ordered a set and thanks for the idea. Going this route no doubt saved me time plus pain and suffering. I was concerned about the spring compression task.

Next are wheels and tires!

Codybenz

Reaction score
well, took off the 5160s reservoir bracket to flip it and the bracket has grooves inside that make it so if it's flipped the "bilstein" Branding will be upside down so i put it back to normal, just have to deal with not having the branding exposed on the right side but no big deal. Have read some downsides of shock boots so i am removing them, also i think they look better without the boot. There's a metal sleeve on top of the boot that's about 1/2in tall im going to remove from boot and keep it on the shaft so that the washers can sit as intended View attachment 87649
Obviously it’s your choice but being in the automotive world my entire life, I would recommend you keep the boots on. All it takes is one rock from the road to nick the shock rod and the rod will cut your seal and cause a leak.

the only downside to boots is if you are constantly in deep mud every time the vehicle is taken out, the mud can accumulate on the inside of the boot and damage the rod. So you have to remove the boot from time to time and clean it out. But for normal off-road use and street driving, I personally would run a boot.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
6112s just arrived! wheels and tires should be here Friday. will be adding a 1/2in motofab spacer on top of these as well. View attachment 87705
Nice! Before you install, make sure the nut holding the top hat is tight and fully seated against the shaft. If not, you will get some crazy rattling noises (don't ask me how I know :D). Also, for anyone doing the install (especially if assembling the coilover), get a good pass-thru socket set.

Last edited:

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
Nice! Before you install, make sure the nut holding the top hat is tight and fully seated against the shaft. If not, you will get some crazy rattling noises (don't ask me how I know :D). Also, for anyone doing the install (especially if assembling the coilover), get a good pass-thru socket set.
i can do that without compressing the spring correct? both top hats look a little angled maybe the nut isn't fully seated

DenCoRam

Reaction score
i can do that without compressing the spring correct? both top hats look a little angled maybe the nut isn't fully seated
It's easier with them compressed because it takes the pressure off top hat, but definitely doable without compressing the spring. I was able to do it with them installed on the truck through the hole in the top shock mount (not ideal, but I didn't want to disassemble everything I had just put back together!)

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
It's easier with them compressed because it takes the pressure off top hat, but definitely doable without compressing the spring. I was able to do it with them installed on the truck through the hole in the top shock mount (not ideal, but I didn't want to disassemble everything I had just put back together!)
keep going till the nut stops right? don't wana strip it.

DenCoRam

Reaction score
keep going till the nut stops right? don't wana strip it.
I want to say the instructions had something like 35 ft-lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench that went that low and when I was putting it on it felt like it was "tight enough" based on the resistance I felt, but there was definitely more threads to go. This is where you want to use a pass-thru socket as you need to keep the shock shaft in the center from spinning while tightening the nut.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
i almost went with fox but it would have cost about 3500 total. with the bilsteins and zone uca i ended up only spending about $1900. the zones were 499 and I've had them on my previous 2014 ram and loved them, they're very well built and beefy View attachment 87695
I been waiting weeks for my RC uca, I spoke to bilstein lifts they said I can have these in 2-3days I haven’t seen no one with these they’ll work on a DT model for a 2-3in lift/level?

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
i have pass through sockets. i assume the 35 lb rating is based on having the spring compressed
I want to say the instructions had something like 35 ft-lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench that went that low and when I was putting it on it felt like it was "tight enough" based on the resistance I felt, but there was definitely more threads to go. This is where you want to use a pass-thru socket as you need to keep the shock shaft in the center from spinning while tightening the nut.

I been waiting weeks for my RC uca, I spoke to bilstein lifts they said I can have these in 2-3days I haven’t seen no one with these they’ll work on a DT model for a 2-3in lift/level?
from what I've read and from what zone says yes. there's a thread here somewhere with someone running them

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those RC UCAs are meant for only 3”+ of level height. You can find videos of them on YouTube. Search waterfowler41. He has them on his rebel.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Those RC UCAs are meant for only 3”+ of level height. You can find videos of them on YouTube. Search waterfowler41. He has them on his rebel.
I’m gonna run the eibachs at 1.8 plus my ORG springs so I should be pretty close to 3

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m gonna run the eibachs at 1.8 plus my ORG springs so I should be pretty close to 3
I am not RC employee but I feel like if you are at 2.5in and up you would probably be fine. I think they won't have any leniency if you asked them this but realistically the ball joint should be able to handle that. At 2.8" of lift I think you'll be perfectly fine. I want to go with the RC UCA's but 5100's at setting 4 so I would still feel comfortable with that.

JbVt

Reaction score
Interested, as I was planning same as above. Eibachs @1.8 or bils @1.5 plus my off road group and the RC uca. I was betting on that being just fine even though RC states 3+”. Would love some pictures of angles once someone pulls the trigger on this.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested, as I was planning same as above. Eibachs @1.8 or bils @1.5 plus my off road group and the RC uca. I was betting on that being just fine even though RC states 3+”. Would love some pictures of angles once someone pulls the trigger on this.
If I could get my hands on a set of damn 5100's I would pull the trigger on this stuff but to no avail...

Users who are viewing this thread