5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
In relation to the 3.21 gears and loss of gas mileage, I’m wondering how much the nitto ridge grappler 285/65R20 tires would do in comparison. Practically the same sized tire, but almost 8 pounds lighter per, with a smaller tread depth.

Like many here Ive been searching for the best option to lift/level, without sacrificing ride quality, breaking the bank and killing gas mileage.

So far I’m considering adding the Bilstein 5100s on my 2020 ORP Lonestar, replacing the UCAs (which ones?), and getting bigger tires. Haven’t decided whether or not to replace the rear shocks yet.

Posts like this help with these decisions, so although it’s not the “costed $100, rides better than stock, only lost .1 mpg and I’m super happy” report we like to hear back, this type of feedback is appreciated to help us be well informed. So thanks for the “unwanted” info 😬🙈🤣
I have 3.21, lost about 1.5-2mpg with the 5100. Just recently added taller tires, 285/75/18 which are 34.8", the tires don't seem to have any affect on mileage so far with 4 fill-ups. The strong winds recently really hurt my mileage though. My work commute is about 70miles per day (roundtrip total) and majority highway. Before the lift I avg 19 give or take, post lift 17-18 tops.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 3.21, lost about 1.5-2mpg with the 5100. Just recently added taller tires, 285/75/18 which are 34.8", the tires don't seem to have any affect on mileage so far with 4 fill-ups. The strong winds recently really hurt my mileage though. My work commute is about 70miles per day (roundtrip total) and majority highway. Before the lift I avg 19 give or take, post lift 17-18 tops.

Got any pics of those 285’s?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageX

Reaction score
Hey, guys I haven’t had time to read all through the thread so I hope ya’s can confirm that I went a good route. I just ordered the ReadyLift 2” Level kit with control arms and a top hat spacer. It’s only $370 on Amazon right now vs $529 from ReadyLift. I plan on running this kit with the 5100s on my 2019 ORP Big Horn Quad. Was this a good way to go? I am trying to maintain the best ride as possible. Also, should I ditch the top hat spacer and add all of the lift through the 5100 settings? Wouldn’t this max out the shock? Or would I just add 1.5” on the 5100 plus the ORP springs? Thanks for any help.

Highertechnology

Reaction score
Hey, guys I haven’t had time to read all through the thread so I hope ya’s can confirm that I went a good route. I just ordered the ReadyLift 2” Level kit with control arms and a top hat spacer. It’s only $370 on Amazon right now vs $529 from ReadyLift. I plan on running this kit with the 5100s on my 2019 ORP Big Horn Quad. Was this a good way to go? I am trying to maintain the best ride as possible. Also, should I ditch the top hat spacer and add all of the lift through the 5100 settings? Wouldn’t this max out the shock? Or would I just add 1.5” on the 5100 plus the ORP springs? Thanks for any help.

I’ve considered something similar. You would probably ditch the 1.5” top hat unless you lower the 5100s a notch or two. I haven’t run the numbers but maxed on clip 5 with ORP and top hat would give 4.5” over stock using my crude math, which sounds nice but would severely bork the suspension geometry IMO.

ImageX

Reaction score
I’ve considered something similar. You would probably ditch the 1.5” top hat unless you lower the 5100s a notch or two. I haven’t run the numbers but maxed on clip 5 with ORP and top hat would give 4.5” over stock using my crude math, which sounds nice but would severely bork the suspension geometry IMO.

Yeah, I don’t really want to max the 5100 AND use the top hat spacer. I figured I could use the spacer and leave 5100 at lowest setting to have 3” total lift over normal Ram. Or use setting #5 on the 5100 and ditch the spacer. Not sure which would be a better way to go. Then, I could also use the top hat spacer and add just half an inch on the 5100s for 3.5“ total over regular Ram.... and then bump the rear up with 5100s as well to sit level. I think the rears have 1” of adjustability. I’m just trying to figure out the best route for safe angles and best ride quality. To top hat or not? 🤷

Highertechnology

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t really want to max the 5100 AND use the top hat spacer. I figured I could use the spacer and leave 5100 at lowest setting to have 3” total lift over normal Ram. Or use setting #5 on the 5100 and ditch the spacer. Not sure which would be a better way to go. Then, I could also use the top hat spacer and add just half an inch on the 5100s for 3.5“ total over regular Ram.... and then bump the rear up with 5100s as well to sit level. I think the rears have 1” of adjustability. I’m just trying to figure out the best route for safe angles and best ride quality. To top hat or not?

Youre on track up front. My plan as of now is to add the 1.5” top hat (I have the 3.5” SST kit in garage) crank down the bilsteins and use the included spacer in rear if needed (Doesn’t come in level kit). The rear bilsteins do not add lift. They are built to accommodate trucks up to 1” of added lift. In the rear of you want to raise you will either need spacer, icon 1.5” lift springs (.5” over ORP) or clayton gladiator springs 2.5” (1.5” over ORP).

ImageX

Reaction score
Youre on track up front. My plan as of now is to add the 1.5” top hat (I have the 3.5” SST kit in garage) crank down the bilsteins and use the included spacer in rear if needed (Doesn’t come in level kit). The rear bilsteins do not add lift. They are built to accommodate trucks up to 1” of added lift. In the rear of you want to raise you will either need spacer, icon 1.5” lift springs (.5” over ORP) or clayton gladiator springs 2.5” (1.5” over ORP).

Yeah, I just realized that after my post that the rears only accommodate and aren’t adjustable. So, it looks like the final plan will be ORP springs, 5100s on setting #5 with no spacer (or top spacer and setting 0” on the 5100), RL control arms, and 5100 rear with ORP springs. I just don’t know which would give me the better ride..... spacer for lift with 5100s zeroed out or #2... or no spacer and setting #5. I’m not sure if I’ll need 2” or 2.5” up front to reach level. Guess I should measure. There’s a strong possibility I may go Bilstein 5160 in the rear too.

EDIT: After digging deeper in this thread, I am skipping the Ready Lift control arms. It appears that they are not needed with the 5100s.... ORP or otherwise. They confirmed with Bilstein. Some members didn’t use them and said angles were fine. Others used them and said they wished they hadn’t because they weren’t needed. I’m going to try it and save about $400.

Last edited:

Miked513

Reaction score
Maybe someone can give me a recommendation on my situation. I have a 20’ Laramie with the ORP. Ordered the 5100 shocks and plan on going to clip location 5 = 2”. My issue is I put a ranch hand grille guard on the front and I have almost a 3” difference in rake from front to back fender well. So when I install it, I will still have 1” rake right? Been on the fence with UCA replacement too, wondering if I need to throw a .5-1” puck spacer up top in addition to the Bilstein 5100’s... I’ll surely need to go to new UCA’s at that point. Any suggestions??

11c8c9e1c7e5f748966a2d9c383e4112.jpg

e68bc792062663605b33069a49adf513.jpg

ImageX

Reaction score
Maybe someone can give me a recommendation on my situation. I have a 20’ Laramie with the ORP. Ordered the 5100 shocks and plan on going to clip location 5 = 2”. My issue is I put a ranch hand grille guard on the front and I have almost a 3” difference in rake from front to back fender well. So when I install it, I will still have 1” rake right? Been on the fence with UCA replacement too, wondering if I need to throw a .5-1” puck spacer up top in addition to the Bilstein 5100’s... I’ll surely need to go to new UCA’s at that point. Any suggestions??

Accept the rake or go higher by adding a spacer and control arms.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Got any pics of those 285’s?..

They are on in my sig pic, also I posted a larger pic in this thread should be post #1477 on page 74. And I think they turned out great!

Last edited:

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score

11c8c9e1c7e5f748966a2d9c383e4112.jpg

e68bc792062663605b33069a49adf513.jpg

I didn't take measurements, but I went from a standard non-ORG to adding the ORG springs and 5100's at #5, I'm dead level across. If you use #5 on your setup you will be the same. Your grill guard is probably not really enough to cause the front to sag noticeably.

Miked513

Reaction score
I didn't take measurements, but I went from a standard non-ORG to adding the ORG springs and 5100's at #5, I'm dead level across. If you use #5 on your setup you will be the same. Your grill guard is probably not really enough to cause the front to sag noticeably.

Thanks, that’s a little reassuring. I think I’m going to give that a shot and just accept it for what it is.

ImageX

Reaction score
5100s are out of stock everywhere. One vendor told me 6-8 weeks out according to Bilstein.

Miked513

Reaction score
5100s are out of stock everywhere. One vendor told me 6-8 weeks out according to Bilstein.

Yep, I just ordered mine from Jackit.com and they told me 6 weeks. Supposedly they are one of their biggest distributors and the woman I spoke with made it sound like they could come in weeks early. Well see!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just finished my install. Took me just under 5 hours, taking my time. Set them at the #6 clip position. I cant report on ride quality just yet. New yokohama geolander MT 275/65/20 will be installed tomorrow. Any questions feel free to ask. 2019 bighorn bighorn 4x4, no ORP.
Before
View attachment 50001
After
View attachment 50002
How much actual lift did you get on setting 6? Thanks

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone that has the ORP or a Rebel at setting 5, try letting out 3-5 psi on tires. World of a difference in ride comfort!

70runner

Reaction score
Is the jury still out on whether the stock UCAs will handle the 5100s on #5 (level). Seems to be 3 options, stock, mopar lift UCAs, aftermarket UCAs.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From what I've seen and read, the Readylift 2.0 kit on a Rebel is fine unless you go off-road and actual use full articulation, which will results in the UCA making contact with the spring.

So my plan is to use Bilstein 5100 at setting 5 (max for a Rebel or ORB spring) and Readylift or Mopar Upgrade UCAs. Should cost almost the same as a Readylift 2.0" kit, but with a better geometry and suspension for off-road use.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Believe the prevailing wisdom from this forum is anything over 2” lift MUST go either Mopar or quality aftermarket UCAs. Stock UCAs just can’t handle more than 2”’s.

JbVt

Reaction score
Anyone that has the ORP or a Rebel at setting 5, try letting out 3-5 psi on tires. World of a difference in ride comfort!

What pressure you have them at? And what are your tire specs? Size, type, #ply. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread