5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Fox 2.0 come with the 4” lift, are they 0-4”? I can’t find anything on them. Everything I find on Fox 2.0 is that they too are 0-2”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I see what you’re saying. They’re probably springs that get you 2” and then another two from spacers. If that’s true in the rear than the 5100’s in the back wouldn’t make sense. With no personal experience with the Fox product take that with a grain of salt though

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Oh I see what you’re saying. They’re probably springs that get you 2” and then another two from spacers. If that’s true in the rear than the 5100’s in the back wouldn’t make sense. With no personal experience with the Fox product take that with a grain of salt though

Yeah, you’re right. The kit comes with 3” springs for rear.

JbVt

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already but I can't seem to get a straight answer, not even from bilstein themselves. I have a 2020 with the off road group, as you know has 1" taller springs. I want to replace shocks with bilstein 5100s front and rear to raise the front 1.5"-2" and because I tow semi-often I would like a 1" spacer in the rear to keep a bit of rake. Now the tricky part, I want to get the 5100 rears, # 24-233354. The title reads 0-2" lift. So I take that as 1" for factory off road and a 1" spacer I plan to add. So these should work for my truck. I have been told yes they will and no they won't fit with the 1" spacer. Has anyone done this same setup with these?

mxjunky12

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already but I can't seem to get a straight answer, not even from bilstein themselves. I have a 2020 with the off road group, as you know has 1" taller springs. I want to replace shocks with bilstein 5100s front and rear to raise the front 1.5"-2" and because I tow semi-often I would like a 1" spacer in the rear to keep a bit of rake. Now the tricky part, I want to get the 5100 rears, # 24-233354. The title reads 0-2" lift. So I take that as 1" for factory off road and a 1" spacer I plan to add. So these should work for my truck. I have been told yes they will and no they won't fit with the 1" spacer. Has anyone done this same setup with these?
I believe a conversation about this same setup is going on a few posts up.
-The rear shocks themselves do not provide any lift.
-The bilstein (shock shaft) is capable of 1-2" of lift maxed out.
-In order for you to get that lift, you either have to add a spacer, or install new springs.

More lift requires longer shock shaft.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just ran 800 miles this past weekend with a good load, up and down mountains of West Virginia. Truck ran and towed fantastic. Very comfortable, really felt stock. Impressed with the Clayton rear springs and Hellwig sway bar.

Power with the 3.92 was great and transmission held gear very nicely . Gas mileage was pretty horrendous. Averaged 8mpg with this load out running 75mph. I did expect this but hoped for better haha. I just now clicked over 4000miles on the truck so hoping it does a little better in the future as I have read these motors tend to get better after 10k. A good tuner will be added later. It is a big v8 on 35s.
304258c2754430293bbc13acf1a4369e.jpg

What wheels are those?

JbVt

Reaction score
I believe a conversation about this same setup is going on a few posts up.
-The rear shocks themselves do not provide any lift.
-The bilstein (shock shaft) is capable of 1-2" of lift maxed out.
-In order for you to get that lift, you either have to add a spacer, or install new springs.

More lift requires longer shock shaft.

I understand the shocks do not lift the truck. I am asking if the shock is capable of the extra 1" from the spacer I want to put in my Off road package truck. I was getting conflicting answers on whether it would or not so I was looking for some direct knowledge from it actually being done this way.

mxjunky12

Reaction score
I understand the shocks do not lift the truck. I am asking if the shock is capable of the extra 1" from the spacer I want to put in my Off road package truck. I was getting conflicting answers on whether it would or not so I was looking for some direct knowledge from it actually being done this way.
Cool man, yeah not sure why theres confusion this is the only way to do it.

(Any manufacturer is going to error on the side of their product intentions without any additional variables.)

If you are lifting the rear an additional inch with the spacer you are going to get the max intended capability out of the bilstein with ORP.

JbVt

Reaction score
Cool man, yeah not sure why theres confusion this is the only way to do it.

(Any manufacturer is going to error on the side of their product intentions without any additional variables.)

If you are lifting the rear an additional inch with the spacer you are going to get the max intended capability out of the bilstein with ORP.

No confusion on the concept, just confused as to the two complete opposite answers I got from the bilstein lifts site. Was just looking for a confirmation from someone who did it this way with this shock. To be honest I think there is a lot of confusion referring to the off road group trucks and all of the different aftermarket manufacturers.

JbVt

Reaction score
No confusion on the concept, just confused as to the two complete opposite answers I got from the bilstein lifts site. Was just looking for a confirmation from someone who did it this way with this shock. To be honest I think there is a lot of confusion referring to the off road group trucks and all of the different aftermarket manufacturers.
Maybe not confusion but less than optimal specifications relating to the 1" factory difference between regular and off road trucks.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Why don’t you just set the front clips to a lower height?.. To keep some rake?.. Leave the rear as is.

JbVt

Reaction score
Why don’t you just set the front clips to a lower height?.. To keep some rake?.. Leave the rear as is.

That may be an option, haven't decided against it.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
That's what I would do. Mine didn't have the ORG but I sourced out the factory ORG Springs front and rear then 5100s. I did #5 up front and its perfectly level for me, if I was towing I would just use #4 and leave the smallest of rake. I've had 500 pounds of corn in the bed plus all my hunting gear and it didn't make me nose high, but a trailer, I'd go with setting 4 and forget about the rear spacer. Plus it will probably ride a little softer up front, the 5 setting is max and it definitely stiffened up over factory.

JbVt

Reaction score
That's what I would do. Mine didn't have the ORG but I sourced out the factory ORG Springs front and rear then 5100s. I did #5 up front and its perfectly level for me, if I was towing I would just use #4 and leave the smallest of rake. I've had 500 pounds of corn in the bed plus all my hunting gear and it didn't make me nose high, but a trailer, I'd go with setting 4 and forget about the rear spacer. Plus it will probably ride a little softer up front, the 5 setting is max and it definitely stiffened up over factory.
Thanks for the input. Can you put up a few pictures of your rig? I’d like to see just what mine would look like with the 5100s and my org.

merdon1332000

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone so they know what to expect ( at least what I'm dealing with) . I lifted the truck in Jan sometime( 3rd lifted Ram, 1st 5th gen), Bilstein maxed out up front, Bilstein in back with ICON 1.5" springs, felt good at first a little sway in the rear around turns, drove a week and it seemed good. Installed Nitto 35x11.50x20" ridge grapplers and the newest was pretty cool, drove in the snow nice. Other then that it was awful, going around corners ( at slow to reduce speeds felt like the truck was going to spin out every time, not because of the tires but the looseness of the truck( roll), then the ride, it was awful as well, hit a bump or railroad track and the truck jumps ( or felt) sideways, highway driving was awful in the rain(tire related) between hydroplaning and sway I had to slow way way way down and on Texas roads you will die! truck struggled with those tires, I'm running 3:21 gears and honestly tires are way to big for those IMO, gas mileage went from 16mpg to 11.8mpg. So now I'm changing the truck, going to #4 on the front and back to OEM springs in the rear, Discount tire took care of me and replaced the tires with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT 275x60x20 and refunded me the difference ( amazing service for my fault). I'll update after lowering it some. I'm sure it's mostly me getting older and my younger self would have dealt with it, but thought maybe some folks who might be looking at the same set up would like to know

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Can you put up a few pictures of your rig? I’d like to see just what mine would look like with the 5100s and my org.
This is about the best I have so far, haven't taken any others.

Attachments

• New Tires.jpg
    New Tires.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 149

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just measured my truck lastnight while working out the setup of the WDH.

Unloaded Longhorn longbed ORP with 5100's front (#2 notch) and 5100's rear.

Front - 38.5" (top of fender arch)
Rear - 39.5" (top of fender arch)

Hitch was installed (trailer not hooked up), Bak MX4 bedcover, and maybe 50lbs of misc stuff in the front of the bed in a small plastic tub.

Reactions: c3k

DexterDawg

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone so they know what to expect ( at least what I'm dealing with) . I lifted the truck in Jan sometime( 3rd lifted Ram, 1st 5th gen), Bilstein maxed out up front, Bilstein in back with ICON 1.5" springs, felt good at first a little sway in the rear around turns, drove a week and it seemed good. Installed Nitto 35x11.50x20" ridge grapplers and the newest was pretty cool, drove in the snow nice. Other then that it was awful, going around corners ( at slow to reduce speeds felt like the truck was going to spin out every time, not because of the tires but the looseness of the truck( roll), then the ride, it was awful as well, hit a bump or railroad track and the truck jumps ( or felt) sideways, highway driving was awful in the rain(tire related) between hydroplaning and sway I had to slow way way way down and on Texas roads you will die! truck struggled with those tires, I'm running 3:21 gears and honestly tires are way to big for those IMO, gas mileage went from 16mpg to 11.8mpg. So now I'm changing the truck, going to #4 on the front and back to OEM springs in the rear, Discount tire took care of me and replaced the tires with a set of Cooper Discoverer AT 275x60x20 and refunded me the difference ( amazing service for my fault). I'll update after lowering it some. I'm sure it's mostly me getting older and my younger self would have dealt with it, but thought maybe some folks who might be looking at the same set up would like to know
Thanks for the info since I was going to do the same set u
Thanks for the info. Especially since I was going to go with same set up you had...except for the 35s. Probably was going to go a little smaller. Keep us posted.

theblakester

Reaction score
In relation to the 3.21 gears and loss of gas mileage, I’m wondering how much the nitto ridge grappler 285/65R20 tires would do in comparison. Practically the same sized tire, but almost 8 pounds lighter per, with a smaller tread depth.

Like many here Ive been searching for the best option to lift/level, without sacrificing ride quality, breaking the bank and killing gas mileage.

So far I’m considering adding the Bilstein 5100s on my 2020 ORP Lonestar, replacing the UCAs (which ones?), and getting bigger tires. Haven’t decided whether or not to replace the rear shocks yet.

Posts like this help with these decisions, so although it’s not the “costed $100, rides better than stock, only lost .1 mpg and I’m super happy” report we like to hear back, this type of feedback is appreciated to help us be well informed. So thanks for the “unwanted” info 😬🙈🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread