5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
Getting a clunking noise from either side depending on the which side I hit certain bumps in the road... Any ideas? 2020 Rebel with 5100’s installed at clip #5. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,
Getting a clunking noise from either side depending on the which side I hit certain bumps in the road... Any ideas? 2020 Rebel with 5100’s installed at clip #5. Thanks

I’d check the torque on the bolts. If you had it done at a shop bring it back, they may have not torqued them down correctly

AK11

Reaction score
5100 in the rear do not add height but they will accommodate up to 1” additional height with ttt he e ORP. You could add a spacer or replace the rear springs with taller springs such as bilstein or icon

Spacers ruin the ride a bit right? I’m not a complete diva but these trucks are so nice I’d hate to mess with that part of them.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d check the torque on the bolts. If you had it done at a shop bring it back, they may have not torqued them down correctly

Thank you. Will do. Are you talking about the 3 top strut bolts?

Anything else I should check?

Truckguy

Reaction score
Spacers ruin the ride a bit right? I’m not a complete diva but these trucks are so nice I’d hate to mess with that part of them.

Some say the spacers change the ride but on the back it probably wouldn’t be as noticeable. However for a little more money you can get longer springs to add 1.5 or 2 inch of height.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. Will do. Are you talking about the 3 top strut bolts?

Anything else I should check?

Yes. Those are most likely the culprit. After maybe, possibly, definitely reading all 1200 of these posts several times before I pulled the trigger on the 5100’s that seems to be an issue that comes up here and there.

realralfy

Reaction score
For anyone that is interested, I put a set of front and rear 5100’s for sale on the classified section of this site. They are brand-new in box, boxes have never been opened. The only reason I didn’t use them is that after I ordered them I dedcided to go with the Fox coilover and rear shock setup instead.

Bestcoast

Reaction score
I just got done putting a set of these on my truck. I had a 2” motofab spacer in the front and decided to leave them. I put the fronts at the second clip position and it netted an extra half inch with my non-orp springs. I have airbags in the rear so no rear lift needed. With 35’s my front measures 41” to the fender now up from 40.5.
The only issue I found was the front sway bar endlinks “popping” after the install. I ended up just removing the front sway bar altogether and I’m glad I did.
All together I’m happy with the ride. This is my first experience with aftermarket bilsteins and I was expecting them to ride much harsher than they do based on some of the reviews I’ve read. I would say these shocks do a much better job at handling the 35’s than the stock shocks. Most of the “jitteriness” that comes with E rated tires is gone and wheel movement is much better controlled over the oem shocks.

merdon1332000

Reaction score
For anyone that is interested, I put a set of front and rear 5100’s for sale on the classified section of this site. They are brand-new in box, boxes have never been opened. The only reason I didn’t use them is that after I ordered them I dedcided to go with the Fox coilover and rear shock setup instead.
how much

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We finished. Install was pretty easy, as expected on a one yr old truck. The only issue we ran into, was the upper strut nut was rusted solid to the strut shaft. We tried liquid wrench and even tried heat.. the air gun couldn't get it. Ended up cutting a window in the dust boot and wrapping a strap wrench around the exposed shaft. Both front struts were the same way. Rear's were cake.

CrewCab ORP longbed on the #2 slot (I tow and need some rake)
131273361_246662170214149_161733599624223866_n.jpg 131056471_167082808436879_4306872698939107324_n.jpg

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
We finished. Install was pretty easy, as expected on a one yr old truck. The only issue we ran into, was the upper strut nut was rusted solid to the strut shaft. We tried liquid wrench and even tried heat.. the air gun couldn't get it. Ended up cutting a window in the dust boot and wrapping a strap wrench around the exposed shaft. Both front struts were the same way. Rear's were cake.

View attachment 76465 View attachment 76466

Any ride impressions? BTW those wheels would look soooooo good on my truck 😛

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only driven 20-30 miles so far.. so not much of a test yet. I can tell the ride is slightly firmer than stock, but by no means harsh. Definitely handles road irregularities better now and that wallowing of the truck after a bump is almost completely gone now.

I never really cared for the wheels on the Longhorn, but haven't bothered looking into changing them.

Bestcoast

Reaction score

View attachment 76465 View attachment 76466
Truck looks great. My strut nuts were the same. I had to use an 18mm impact socket with a punch through the side of it, an 8mm socket through the center of the 18mm holding the strut shaft, and a pry bar holding the whole thing. Total PIA.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size are the 3 nuts on the top of the shock?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone air down a bit for a more softer ride?

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the rebel Duratracs and aired them down to 50 instead of 55. Definitely makes a difference in my opinion.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’ve got the same size and load tire as the rebels do and there is no way I would drive around with the recommended pressure, it’s way too much. I run 45 front and 42 rear and it’s perfect. 50-55 is retarded for an empty truck not hauling or towing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread