5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All leveled out
d456f4f5eeb3d304c09b91974ab6f66a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
Thought I would give an update on my set up. I lifted the rear 2” using icon rear springs and a 1/2 spacer from McBay performance. I intended to lift the front 3 1/2” using the Bilstein’s at #5 (1.7”) and a 2” (actual size was 1 3/4”) top hat from Tuff Country. This setting actually lifted the front end 4 1/4 from its stock height and left it nose high. I dropped it down to setting #3 which leveled the truck. I used a level on the frame. The front fender opening does measure higher than the rear at level so if you are using the fender openings as your gauge then it’s probably not level if they measure equal from the ground. After tearing the front end apart twice in pretty happy with the turn out.

Attachments

• 35F6A1CA-B328-4FA7-A464-288ADC37319E.jpeg
    35F6A1CA-B328-4FA7-A464-288ADC37319E.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 9455FA18-D16F-471F-A9DC-F244003B9ACC.jpeg
    9455FA18-D16F-471F-A9DC-F244003B9ACC.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 153

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All leveled out
d456f4f5eeb3d304c09b91974ab6f66a.jpg

Got my alignment done.. Tech said it wasn’t bad at all but they where pointing outwards a little.. Looking at truck head on. Ride is very close to factory.

Truckguy

Reaction score
Thought I would give an update on my set up. I lifted the rear 2” using icon rear springs and a 1/2 spacer from McBay performance. I intended to lift the front 3 1/2” using the Bilstein’s at #5 (1.7”) and a 2” (actual size was 1 3/4”) top hat from Tuff Country. This setting actually lifted the front end 4 1/4 from its stock height and left it nose high. I dropped it down to setting #3 which leveled the truck. I used a level on the frame. The front fender opening does measure higher than the rear at level so if you are using the fender openings as your gauge then it’s probably not level if they measure equal from the ground. After tearing the front end apart twice in pretty happy with the turn out.
What shocks did you go with in the rear? I have the icon springs and 5100 waiting to be installed but need to decide on a rear shock. I may just go with the 5100 rear shock

troymi

Reaction score
Appreciate all the input on this thread. I picked up my new 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel and knew it needed a few changes.

Went with 5100s on level 4 in front. Not many posts on diesels so had to measure. It looks close to level but it's still got about 1/2" rake as of now. We'll see how it settles.

I put the 22s in storage with 250 miles on them and got 275/65/20 KO2s on the Laramie Longhorn wheels I had from last truck. Also, had the Hellwig rear bar installed while I was there, along with rear wheelwell liners (crazy not standard on $70k truck!)

This looks pretty good now. I'll get better pics at some point.

Attachments

• FD38216D-2CA8-49F9-9778-218A290127DD.jpeg
    FD38216D-2CA8-49F9-9778-218A290127DD.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 200

wpm1960

Reaction score
Are most of you having the 5100's installed for you or DIY? Just got mine and wanted to do it myself but now may just have them installed at local 4WD shop. Kind of worried about messing with the spring compression for the swap. Quoted $450 for install and alignment, does that sound fair?

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are most of you having the 5100's installed for you or DIY? Just got mine and wanted to do it myself but now may just have them installed at local 4WD shop. Kind of worried about messing with the spring compression for the swap. Quoted $450 for install and alignment, does that sound fair?

I’m outside of NYC and I had mine installed and aligned for $290. Just the fronts though.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was quoted $575 (I think) a few years ago for my previous truck with alignment. Ended up doing it myself.

tank3011570

Reaction score
I don't think the 2” (actual size was 1 3/4”) top hat from Tuff Country gives you 2" lift. My Motofab 2" top hat spacer (actual thickness is 1.25") gives me a true 2" front lift. I know the motofab 2.5" top hat spacer only has actual thickness of 1.5". If your Tuff Country has actual thickness of 1.75", it should give you more than 2.5" lift. This probably is the reason why you get much more lift from the combination.

neeginan

Reaction score
I had the Bilstein 5100's installed today all around. For the front on setting #5. On the back I added a 1 inch motofab spacer. Pics tomorrow as it got too dark when I got home. I did 275 65 20 rubber at the same time. Lifts and rubber, I gained 2.7 inches in the front and 2 inches at the back. Went from ~2 1/4 inches of rake to ~1 1/2 inches of rake. Came out as planned.

My question is regarding the OE Dust Boot. In the instructions that I saw for the front Bilstein 5100 install, the OE Dust Boot was to be cut at approximately 1.25 inches length and installed. The shop that did the install said there is no need to cut/trim the OE dust boot. They installed the OE Dust Boot at its original length. They stated that it fits perfectly, just like it was on the OE shock and they didn't want to cut it for no reason. They said that they can trim it while on the vehicle if I really want it cut down shorter.

I looked, and I don't see the reason why it would need to be trimmed. Maybe under extreme compression if it gets out of place / out of center, it will strike the shock body as the shock is compressing? IDK. But it appears that there is a lot of travel with it as is.

Anyway, my question is does it need to be cut down and why? Has everyone else trimmed/cut it down before installing or left them OE stock length?

Thanks

UPDATE: ANSWER FOUND. User named 'Mother' had already answered this one in this thread. Thanks, Mother. Trimming the OE Dust Boot is only required if using circlip position #7. And I went back and it is right fricken there in black and white in the instructions. I wasn't paying enough attention to detail.

Last edited:

neeginan

Reaction score
I had the Bilstein 5100's installed yesterday all around. For the front on setting #5. On the back I added a 1 inch motofab spacer. I did 275 65 20 AT rubber at the same time. Lifts and rubber, I gained 2.7 inches in the front and 2 inches at the back. Went from ~2 1/4 inches of rake to ~1 1/2 inches of rake. Came out as planned. I just wanted a slight lift and to leave a slight rake. Oh, I have 200 lbs of tires and old shocks in the bed in the after pic.

In the morning light, the blue looks even better than the bright afternoon sun! Same truck, same camera, different time of day.

Pre lift.jpg Lifted and Leveled.jpg

Last edited:

Truckguy

Reaction score
Hows the ride on setting #5 with the ORP group? Also what is everyone’s net gain vs what bilstein says you can get?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very close to factory. Little bit more stiff

Not as Cush. I have speed bumps where I work. Before it was more of a spongy feeling coming off them. Now it’s more abrupt. If you know what I’m trying to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/