5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

th365thli

Reaction score
I just got the 5100s installed at setting 5 on my Big Horn. Regular OEM springs (not off road). Also added Fuel Vapors, Falken Wildpeaks, and Airlift 1000HD airbags with the electronic compressor/controller. Very very pleased how it turned out.

20200401_154711.jpg

There's a load in the bed (the old tires and rims). And the front hasn't settled yet. But a very quick fender to centerhub measurement indicated almost a perfect level. About 23.5 inches both front and back. Maybe just a tad higher in the rear. Inflating the airbags will give lift the rear a little as well. The picture above is the airbags at 5 psi (fully deflated). I expect the rake to come back as the front settles. Which is what I wanted, as I tow quite a bit. I have not ridden it extensively yet, but I can confirm the floaty feeling is gone. Much better contact with the road, without sacrificing comfort.

Slightly off topic, but super happy with the wildpeaks in terms of road noise. The Iron man all countries were so loud. And I'm very pleased with the offset I chose for the wheels. I chose a +2 offset to try and get a very slight wide stance. It came out pretty much exactly how I hoped. I think fender flares in the future will complement nicely.

20200401_154722.jpg

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
I just got the 5100s installed at setting 5 on my Big Horn. Regular OEM springs (not off road). Also added Fuel Vapors, Falken Wildpeaks, and Airlift 1000HD airbags with the electronic compressor/controller. Very very pleased how it turned out.

View attachment 51059

There's a load in the bed (the old tires and rims). And the front hasn't settled yet. But a very quick fender to centerhub measurement indicated almost a perfect level. About 23.5 inches both front and back. Maybe just a tad higher in the rear. Inflating the airbags will give lift the rear a little as well. The picture above is the airbags at 5 psi (fully deflated). I expect the rake to come back as the front settles. Which is what I wanted, as I tow quite a bit. I have not ridden it extensively yet, but I can confirm the floaty feeling is gone. Much better contact with the road, without sacrificing comfort.

Slightly off topic, but super happy with the wildpeaks in terms of road noise. The Iron man all countries were so loud. And I'm very pleased with the offset I chose for the wheels. I chose a +2 offset to try and get a very slight wide stance. It came out pretty much exactly how I hoped. I think fender flares in the future will complement nicely.

View attachment 51060

What tire size did you go with?

th365thli

Reaction score
What tire size did you go with?

275/65/20

I was debating between that and 285/60/20. They were very similar in weight. I don't think there's a wrong choice here, pretty sure the 275s were cheaper so I went with those.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ugh, you guys probably cost me some more money than I was planning for. Think I’ll go ahead with 5100s on all corners now. Seems the price difference is only about $160 more to include the rears along with the fronts.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Ugh, you guys probably cost me some more money than I was planning for. Think I’ll go ahead with 5100s on all corners now. Seems the price difference is only about $160 more to include the rears along with the fronts.
Ya I was glad I didn’t need rears on my Rebel. Do it brother!!

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya I was glad I didn’t need rears on my Rebel. Do it brother!!

Order placed. Bilsteinlifts.com has the set of 4 5100s for $400 with no tax and free shipping. Looking forward to getting them on.

I’ll need to read back to what setting y’all are doing for a ORP level, with factory rear height. I’m only measuring 1-3/8” rake to the highest point of my fenders.

Also, I sent you a PM regarding spacers!

r_pittman47

Reaction score
5100 Circlip #5 up front, 1.5” spacers in rear, 1.5” hub centric wheel spacers all the way around. She should have come this way from the factory tbh And yes she’s covered in sand from being high centered in the dunes last night lol

View attachment 50708

(Edit)

Are the Rebel struts any longer then the standard struts or the Off Road struts? I'm assuming the Rebel uses the same springs as the Off Road Package. Can you confirm that the Rebel comes with a 1" lift like the Off Road Package, or is it higher? I plan on going with Bilsteins and setting them at setting 5 as well which should give me 1.7" of lift. But I am also seeing people get 2" of lift when on setting 5 that don't have the Off Road Package. Thanks.

Last edited:

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Any chance you would be willing to take a measurement from the center of your wheel to the bottom of the front fender on your truck on setting #7. With my Big Horn having measured somewhere around 22” at the front and now is 25”+, I’m at a loss. Again, it’s on #6, not #7. The front is now 1.5” higher than the rear. That’s at least a 3” swing. I don’t understand what is going on.

As far as what is the right setting... the consensus seems to be #5 or #6. The way mine is setting right now, I’d tell you #4... and that still may be too much.
Mine are set at #5. Non ORP and stock tires. The front is only 1/4" lower than the back. Exactly what I was looking for. Everything I've read shows #6-#7 making it nose high unless adding a rear spacer.

MarkB67

Reaction score
With the Bilstein 5100 circlip in position 5 I have 23” from center of wheel to bottom of wheel well flare directly above. It started out at 24” but settled to 23” after driving 70 miles and hitting a few bumps. This is exactly the same height my truck was at with the Motofab 2” leveling spacer (which the spacer actually measures much less than 2”).
Are you saying that the #5 position is a correct 1.7” of lift or a little more?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I don’t really know how much lift it gave me because I never measured the truck stock. All I know is it is now the exact same height it was when I had the 2” Motofab leveling spacer on. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help and wish I would have measured it stock before installing the Motofab top hat spacer

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
From what I understood, rebels and the ORP were all 1" higher than the rest.
I also read that if you have the ORP springs to set it at #5 to level out the truck.
I plan on buying the 5100 as soon as this whole "virus" calms down, its pushing pending work back a month or two, but once I get there I plan on setting them at the #5 for my ORP ram.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a set of 5100s on order and looks like I should have them on Monday.

My truck is a Laramie ORP, and I have a set of Rebel takeoffs on the truck. Based on my measurements below, I’m a bit reluctant to go with the #5 position, which Bilstein claims is 2” front lift. It seems likely that I could end up nose high. I suppose I could add some lift to the back, if that does occur, but I’m currently fitting in the garage by only 2.5” vertical clearance.

Driver
39.875-38.25” = 1.625”

Passenger
40.125-38.375” = 1.75”

Z mann R2

Reaction score
(Edit)

Are the Rebel struts any longer then the standard struts or the Off Road struts? I'm assuming the Rebel uses the same springs as the Off Road Package. Can you confirm that the Rebel comes with a 1" lift like the Off Road Package, or is it higher? I plan on going with Bilsteins and setting them at setting 5 as well which should give me 1.7" of lift. But I am also seeing people get 2" of lift when on setting 5 that don't have the Off Road Package. Thanks.
My Rebel gave me about what you said 1.7” of lift up front and yes they have the lift already....but I thought it was a 2” lift? Not sure

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Final update on my oddball suspension. I reset the Bilsteins to from #6 to #4 (only lowered it 1/2”) and landed between 24” and 24.5” (depending on side) center of hub to bottom of fender. That’s still roughly 2.5” of lift from setting 4. Again, there are seven, yes SEVEN, options for springs on these trucks. My truck has “heavy duty” springs which are not taller, but very stiff, so it didn’t take much extra preload to lift. In my case, #4 is comparable to between #6 and #7 on a non-ORP truck. I put a 1” spacer in the back last night and it still only has 1/4”-1/2” of rake. I’m gonna run this way for a while, but I may lower to #3 to end up with 2” - 2.25” of lift up front. Hope this helps someone else that runs in to this. Run your VIN and figure out what your truck came with. Tearing the front apart 3 times is not a good plan...

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Final update on my oddball suspension. I reset the Bilsteins to from #6 to #4 (only lowered it 1/2”) and landed between 24” and 24.5” (depending on side) center of hub to bottom of fender. That’s still roughly 2.5” of lift from setting 4. Again, there are seven, yes SEVEN, options for springs on these trucks. My truck has “heavy duty” springs which are not taller, but very stiff, so it didn’t take much extra preload to lift. In my case, #4 is comparable to between #6 and #7 on a non-ORP truck. I put a 1” spacer in the back last night and it still only has 1/4”-1/2” of rake. I’m gonna run this way for a while, but I may lower to #3 to end up with 2” - 2.25” of lift up front. Hope this helps someone else that runs in to this. Run your VIN and figure out what your truck came with. Tearing the front apart 3 times is not a good plan...

Sorry if I missed it. Can you show us where to run our VIN#, and let us know which of the 7 Spring options you have?

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it. Can you show us where to run our VIN#, and let us know which of the 7 Spring options you have?
There’s is a link somewhere in here that someone else posted. I could not get it to work. The info for my truck came from a parts manager at a Ram dealership. I asked about ordering rear coils for an ORP truck so I could lift the rearend an inch. That’s when he asked for my VIN, told me there were 7 options for each corner (every corner has a part # I guess?), and eventually told me I have “heavy duty” springs.

I would add that based on the many, many comments in the 35 or so pages of this thread, my “heavy duty” coils is not common. Although there are a couple others that did note getting “more lift than expected.”

Rocko

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I have the North in white as well, and you have really helped me with my future level decisions!!
You find the Mopar uppers were sufficient for your total of 3" over a truck without the factory 1"?
Worked out great for me

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So general consensus is #5 position to level a ORP or North Edition?

Planning to get this started early next week. Should have my 5100s in hand tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread