5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It could just be me... or how the picture is shot... but does the Rebel strut look like it has slightly more travel than the 5100? Like a 1/2 inch or so?
Not sure but very interested of the outcome, for one reason or the other bilstein claims they are NOT compatible for the Rebel. Considering they make both parts you would think they would know. Interesting if you call or email, they can't tell you why. I'm wondering if it's a contractual issue with FCA (Just guessing)

Pribilof

Reaction score
It could just be me... or how the picture is shot... but does the Rebel strut look like it has slightly more travel than the 5100? Like a 1/2 inch or so?

Hard to tell but I think it's the angle of the shot. Notice the 5100 is angled away from the camera due to the spring seat. Mine arrive Friday afternoon. I'm trying to get an appointment to have them installed Saturday.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to tell but I think it's the angle of the shot. Notice the 5100 is angled away from the camera due to the spring seat. Mine arrive Friday afternoon. I'm trying to get an appointment to have them installed Saturday.
i'll be on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how this turns out lol

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure but very interested of the outcome, for one reason or the other bilstein claims they are NOT compatible for the Rebel. Considering they make both parts you would think they would know. Interesting if you call or email, they can't tell you why. I'm wondering if it's a contractual issue with FCA (Just guessing)
Same... very interested. Makes me wonder if it's CAN'T or WON'T disclose why. I'm leaning towards won't disclose (some issue or detail they don't want people to know) vs. cant disclose (i.e. RAM won't let them). I hate the lack of transparency.

Additionally, I think it's a substantial market opportunity to make something specific for Rebel's since given they're marketed to a more demanding niche. Those buyers are more likely to buy upgraded components at some point. I know I am. There might be fewer Rebel's on the street, but we're more likely to buy upgraded products. (smaller pond but hungrier fish).

SColang22

Reaction score
Just installed mine. Took 4 hours. Most of that was me trying to get the OEM strut out of the spring. Super happy with them

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed mine. Took 4 hours. Most of that was me trying to get the OEM strut out of the spring. Super happy with them

Tell us more!

Did you lift any, or keep stock height?

How’s the ride quality compare?

Did you disassemble the spring by loosening the top hat, or use those spring compressing clamps?

SColang22

Reaction score
Tell us more!

Did you lift any, or keep stock height?

How’s the ride quality compare?

Did you disassemble the spring by loosening the top hat, or use those spring compressing clamps?
Did it at my hobby shop. I have a 3.5” lift kit so I just replaced the preloaded spacers. Have to use a spring compressor. Used one at my local auto hobby shop. Ride quality is night and day between the before and after

SColang22

Reaction score
Just measured and my drivers side is about an inch lower on the driver side than the passenger (front and rear). Idk if it was the same before the install. I just filled up gas so I’m thinking that might be the issue. Any thoughts?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Just measured and my drivers side is about an inch lower on the driver side than the passenger (front and rear). Idk if it was the same before the install. I just filled up gas so I’m thinking that might be the issue. Any thoughts?

I wonder what it is.
A shop will be installing my readylift 3.5” kit tomorrow and instead of the preload spacer I’ll be adding the bilstein shocks up front.

What setting did you set the bilstein at?
5?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry I continue to go back to my Tacoma since that’s where my experience lies with these 5100s. A lot of us lifted the driver side an extra 1/2” with a top plate. We all figured it was due to the battery weight over that wheel. I’m a bit surprised to hear a full inch different on your setup. Curious if anyone else sees the same.

SColang22

Reaction score
I wonder what it is.
A shop will be installing my readylift 3.5” kit tomorrow and instead of the preload spacer I’ll be adding the bilstein shocks up front.

What setting did you set the bilstein at?
5?
5. I’m pretty sure it’s the gas tank but I’ll run it empty and if it still leans I’ll swap the sides and see how it goes

SColang22

Reaction score
Sorry I continue to go back to my Tacoma since that’s where my experience lies with these 5100s. A lot of us lifted the driver side an extra 1/2” with a top plate. We all figured it was due to the battery weight over that wheel. I’m a bit surprised to hear a full inch different on your setup. Curious if anyone else sees the same.
1in in the rear and 1/2” up front. I’m pretty sure it’s cause the gas tank but I’ll run it close to empty and see

Lonestar21

Reaction score
5. I’m pretty sure it’s the gas tank but I’ll run it empty and if it still leans I’ll swap the sides and see how it goes

keep us updated

do you have any pictures of your setup?

Pribilof

Reaction score
1in in the rear and 1/2” up front. I’m pretty sure it’s cause the gas tank but I’ll run it close to empty and see

33 Gallon tank holds 198 lbs of gasoline. I doubt that would cause a 1" drop on one side of the truck.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
33 Gallon tank holds 198 lbs of gasoline. I doubt that would cause a 1" drop on one side of the truck.
I can stand on the power boards on my truck and at 190 lbs make the driver side sink. So, I don't think the tank being full is out of the question.

SColang22

Reaction score
I can stand on the power boards on my truck and at 190 lbs make the driver side sink. So, I don't think the tank being full is out of the question.
So I got bored and swapped them. Our driver side coil is stiffer than the passenger side. Truck is sitting within 1/8” of each side now.

SColang22

Reaction score
Not the coil. They are identical part numbers. More than likely the shock.
Maybe. I’m pretty sure the strut is exactly the same from Bilstein. I might be wrong though. Either way truck is riding right now

Last edited:

Pribilof

Reaction score
LOL alright well sounds good, let us know how it goes! are you installing them yourself?

I confirm that the 5100s definitely fit the Rebel. Position #5 has perfectly leveled me, even with 300lbs of sand in the bed.

Just chuck the silver perch adapters from the included install kits. The OEM Rebel parts fit perfectly without those adapters

Users who are viewing this thread