5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

dfrink

Reaction score
I had these put on my tradesman (with ORP) yesterday. Prior to install I was expecting to get pretty close to level. After the install I still have quite a bit of rake? Kinda bummed.... Any ideas? I called the guy who did the work to verify he set them to 2" (#5). He said he double checked it himself because he noticed the truck still sat high in the rear end.

Attachments

• IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 306

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thank you, makes sense. Ran the 5100's hard on my 4th gen big horn and never had any issues on the stock UCA's, but the rebel's are a little different and what you mentioned about the mopar uca's is a good idea. im torn between doing this setup or doing the readylift front level w/ the uca's

I wasn't impressed with the Readylift setup. I had the 2" level halfway installed before i pulled it all out and got the mopar. The way the control arm contacted the spring at full droop bothered me, and they said it was "totally normal", which i disagree with.

SColang22

Reaction score
Bought my set and plan on setting them at 2". I have a rough country 3.5" lift and plan on re-using the top hat spacer to keep the same lift height. Do I need to get ORP springs?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had these put on my tradesman (with ORP) yesterday. Prior to install I was expecting to get pretty close to level. After the install I still have quite a bit of rake? Kinda bummed.... Any ideas? I called the guy who did the work to verify he set them to 2" (#5). He said he double checked it himself because he noticed the truck still sat high in the rear end.

Should be higher than that according to the installation manual...hop under the truck and count the number of rungs. Should be four exposed. Did you take before and after measurements? If not, just measure the distance between your center cap and bottom of the fender.

dfrink

Reaction score
Should be higher than that according to the installation manual...hop under the truck and count the number of rungs. Should be four exposed. Did you take before and after measurements? If not, just measure the distance between your center cap and bottom of the fender.

Hmmm. I can count 3 rings and then the spring seat adapter. Does this mean it's set at #4? Sure looks that way. Ugh...

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought my set and plan on setting them at 2". I have a rough country 3.5" lift and plan on re-using the top hat spacer to keep the same lift height. Do I need to get ORP springs?

Doubt you need ORP springs., you'd be at like 5" in the front with horrible CV angles. With the 5100's set at 2" and a 2" spacer, you'll be at a 4" front lift which is already a little much without a diff drop.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. I can count 3 rings and then the spring seat adapter. Does this mean it's set at #4? Sure looks that way. Ugh...

Sounds like that's what it means. Are you visually seeing 3 rings, or feeling for them? Sometimes they can be hidden by the spring cup since it is shaped like a bell.

SColang22

Reaction score
Doubt you need ORP springs., you'd be at like 5" in the front with horrible CV angles. With the 5100's set at 2" and a 2" spacer, you'll be at a 4" front lift which is already a little much without a diff drop.
Top hat is only an inch. they call it a 3.5" lift but its only really about 3"

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Top hat is only an inch. they call it a 3.5" lift but its only really about 3"

The spacer may be an inch, but it's not a 1:1 ratio due to the mcpherson style struts; typically a 1-1.25" spacer will give a 2" lift. The 3/8" lift spacer from CST gives a .6" lift. Regardless, anything over 3-3.5 needs a diff drop so I definitely wouldn't be throwing the ORG springs in there...

dfrink

Reaction score
Sounds like that's what it means. Are you visually seeing 3 rings, or feeling for them? Sometimes they can be hidden by the spring cup since it is shaped like a bell.
I'm counting 3, but maybe you can verify before I call the shop again (called them this am and the owner told me he verified it was set to 2"). Unless I'm looking at this wrong they set it to position #4 which would only give me 1.5".

Attachments

• IMG_3901.jpg
    IMG_3901.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
R

Rob5589

I'm counting 3, but maybe you can verify before I call the shop again (called them this am and the owner told me he verified it was set to 2

I'm counting 3, but maybe you can verify before I call the shop again (called them this am and the owner told me he verified it was set to 2"). Unless I'm looking at this wrong they set it to position #4 which would only give me 1.5".

Sure looks like it is in the 4th (1.5") groove

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure looks like it is in the 4th (1.5") groove
I'm counting 3, but maybe you can verify before I call the shop again (called them this am and the owner told me he verified it was set to 2

Yeah it does look like it is the 4th rung, however there is a weird shape to the spring cup that goes over the ring, i'm not 100% sure as i haven't seen the billys in person but let me find the user manual i saw the other day to show you what i'm talking about

dfrink

Reaction score
I found a photo several pages back with a set put at ring #5, and you can count a full four rings. Mine were installed incorrectly. I'm working with (hopefully) the shop to get it fixed. Glad I looked into this, thanks for all your help!!

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found a photo several pages back with a set put at ring #5, and you can count a full four rings. Mine were installed incorrectly. I'm working with (hopefully) the shop to get it fixed. Glad I looked into this, thanks for all your help!!

Sounds good, glad you got it figured out. I would absolutely take it back to get it fixed.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
will these need UCA's on a rebel? or are we fine with just the bilsteins?
No, when I removed the Rebel UCAs and compared the ball joint movement to the Mopar lift UCAs they both had the exact same max travel. Which matches up with pictures I have seen on the forum. I did verify they are different part numbers, but they have the same ball joint. Waste of money on a Rebel.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, when I removed the Rebel UCAs and compared the ball joint movement to the Mopar lift UCAs they both had the exact same max travel. Which matches up with pictures I have seen on the forum. I did verify they are different part numbers, but they have the same ball joint. Waste of money on a Rebel.

Just to verify, the BJ travel is more than a standard UCA (non rebel, mopar or ORG), correct?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score

How does the truck ride with the bilsteins?

Rocko

Reaction score
That's definitely on the 4th ring should be 5th

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
I plan on ordering and installing a set of 5100's this summer. As far as tools go, I need 21 mm, 24 mm, 18 mm wrenches and sockets? What are the torque specs for all the bolts when reassembling?

Users who are viewing this thread