5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the north edition which has the 1 inch factory lift. I did the bills set at the 5th setting which is max on my set up along with the mopar lift uppers. I still have about half inch of rake. Still on stock tire but going to 275 65r 20 next week. First pic is stock 2nd with bills

Wow, I have the North Edition and had no idea it's factory lifted by 1". Didn't see that on the sticker anywhere. How does this edition get its lift? Is there a small spacer installed, or are the coils taller?

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I have the North Edition and had no idea it's factory lifted by 1". Didn't see that on the sticker anywhere. How does this edition get its lift? Is there a small spacer installed, or are the coils taller?

coils are 1” north

Rocko

Reaction score
Same coils as the off road package

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I received my struts today, and all I need now is to get them installed. Where have most of you guys (that do not install yourself) take them to have them installed? Is the install easy enough for a basic repair shop to do the install, or do I need to take them to a 4WheelParts store and pay double what I would pay elsewhere?

I am happy to pay more if there is benefit to it, but I would rather not pay more if it is not a difficult task to complete.

Thanks in advance!

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received my struts today, and all I need now is to get them installed. Where have most of you guys (that do not install yourself) take them to have them installed? Is the install easy enough for a basic repair shop to do the install, or do I need to take them to a 4WheelParts store and pay double what I would pay elsewhere?

I am happy to pay more if there is benefit to it, but I would rather not pay more if it is not a difficult task to complete.

Thanks in advance!

nearly anywhere should be able to do it, just find a place well rated that has done struts before. Make sure your setting is where you want it, don't depend on them set it to the right height. 4wp is crazy-expensive. I recently did a guy's lift at my place for 450 dollars in which they quoted him 1500. It took me roughly 4 hours on my lift but just couldn't believe they quoted him 10 hours.

Pribilof

Reaction score
The Bilstein shocks come with adapters to fit the small spring seats of non rebel shocks. Simply don't install the adapter and the rebel spring seats perfectly. The 5100s and the Rebel Bilstein are the same diameter and use the exact same method to hold the spring seat. The yellow Bilstein is stock for the rebel. Spring seat is being held the exact same way the 5100s are held on without the adapter. They do fit rebels!

I ordered a set of these last night for my Rebel. The falcon shocks look pretty awesome but hard to justify 7x the cost of the Bilstein 5100s. Thanks for the tip on fitting the 5100s to the rebel.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered a set of these last night for my Rebel. The falcon shocks look pretty awesome but hard to justify 7x the cost of the Bilstein 5100s. Thanks for the tip on fitting the 5100s to the rebel.
Please let me know how this install goes, as im looking to do the same!! Any advice on UCA's, ease of installation etc. Good luck with it!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely interesting if you run into any issues I've always been told one of the parts(upper spring seat or something like that?) that need to transfer from rebel oem strut does not fit on the 5100. But part from ORG or standard suspension does fit. Pics of both struts posted side by side appear promising.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely interesting if you run into any issues I've always been told one of the parts(upper spring seat or something like that?) that need to transfer from rebel oem strut does not fit on the 5100. But part from ORG or standard suspension does fit. Pics of both struts posted side by side appear promising.
i think what you're referring to was mentioned a few posts ago, WickedRebel said to not use the spring seat that comes with the 5100's when installing them and they'll fit the rebel. is there something else that you've heard that would make them not compatible with the rebel's?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i think what you're referring to was mentioned a few posts ago, WickedRebel said to not use the spring seat that comes with the 5100's when installing them and they'll fit the rebel. is there something else that you've heard that would make them not compatible with the rebel's?
Post #397, perhaps old or wrong infomation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200304-111225.jpg
    Screenshot_20200304-111225.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 78

Pribilof

Reaction score
Post #397, perhaps old or wrong infomation.

The shocks look identical in diameter from the @WickedRebel post #481. I'm be "shocked" if the spring seats from the rebel shocks don't fit. LOL. In any event, it's worth a test for $250.

ETA: Per Tasca parts, the retainers, grommets, etc. for the struts are the same for all the shocks listed. Only the struts and springs differ.

Rebel strut on the left (photo credit: WickedRebel)

IMG_20200227_080333.jpg

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The shocks look identical in diameter from the @WickedRebel post #481. I'm be "shocked" if the spring seats from the rebel shocks don't fit. LOL. In any event, it's worth a test for $250.

ETA: Per Tasca parts, the retainers, grommets, etc. for the struts are the same for all the shocks listed. Only the struts and springs differ.

View attachment 48607
LOL alright well sounds good, let us know how it goes! are you installing them yourself?

Scjon03

Reaction score
Please let me know how this install goes, as im looking to do the same!! Any advice on UCA's, ease of installation etc. Good luck with it!

UCA are just unbolt and reinstalled to spec. Don't ask me the torque, I heard between 135 to 165 ft pounds. It's the LCA's that are adjustable.

Scjon03

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

I did the tasked myself. Took a lot of cursing and blood but got it to work. To pop your UCA from the knuckle do not use the fork method. It will damage your ball joint.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ran 5100s on my Tacoma for many years, and then the 6112s when they came out for a few years afterwards. Definitely wish there was a 6112 option for the Ram, but I imagine that’s on the way at some point.

I can attest to the cursing of getting the ball joint to pop out of the spindle. I hammered on that many times over 190k miles! If it won’t come apart easily, I’ve found good success by threading the castle nut onto a few threads only and hammering directly onto the nut. The pickle fork will absolutely destroy the joint.

I am still blown away how inexpensive the Mopar UCAs are. I think I spent around $600 just for UCAs on my Tacoma...

Very intrigued to hear how the ride compares to stock from a few more people. I’m in a ORG, and considering only a 1.5”-2” lift with the 5100 to keep some rake.

SColang22

Reaction score
Any one find out the torque settings for reinstall? Can’t seem to find it

Rocko

Reaction score
I used these as a guide. Think they were the specs for a 16 ram but figured they were close enough. Haven't had any issues with them since installed that way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200204-164735.png
    Screenshot_20200204-164735.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 57

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone DIY’ing their own front lift, i would highly recommend getting this type of ball joint separator. Makes things very easy. 27737D52-DC45-42D1-AEB2-F866A36D6D25.png

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 48607
It could just be me... or how the picture is shot... but does the Rebel strut look like it has slightly more travel than the 5100? Like a 1/2 inch or so?

Users who are viewing this thread