5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIGHORN gets Bilstein 5100’s

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
They may not have that size available, go 35x12.50R20 you won’t be sorry, these trucks have large fender well openings and if you go with a smaller tire it will look lost in the fender well
Mark, did you just do the front at #6 or did you also add the Icon rear springs?

sergetexan

Reaction score
Bilstein all the way !!!!!!!!!! Yeah that was 10 exclamation points , you will not lose any ride quality at all , unless you just like throwing money away then go with the Mopar lift , just put my 5100’s on a few weeks ago and they are bad *** , listen to the hype , it’s true
Thanks for response, what about the rear , would you go with a spring or just add a spacer?

MarkB67

Reaction score
Thanks for response, what about the rear , would you go with a spring or just add a spacer?
You could get by with a 1” spacer, I put in a 1-1/2” and it is a tad higher than I like but I also pull a heavy tandem axle trailer from time to time

sergetexan

Reaction score
You could get by with a 1” spacer, I put in a 1-1/2” and it is a tad higher than I like but I also pull a heavy tandem axle trailer from time to time
Does a rear spacer affect ride much at all? It shouldn’t mess with spring/shock travel like the front end spacers. Which spacer brand did u go with? Assume I should go with Bilsteins all around as rear shocks can handle a 1 inch lift as well. I still like idea of the Icon spring as lifting mechanism but not sure why I would need if spacer works fine. Want to retain some rake so will Probably go #5 Bilstein on front with 1” in back. Thanks for your comments.

MarkB67

Reaction score
Does a rear spacer affect ride much at all? It shouldn’t mess with spring/shock travel like the front end spacers. Which spacer brand did u go with? Assume I should go with Bilsteins all around as rear shocks can handle a 1 inch lift as well. I still like idea of the Icon spring as lifting mechanism but not sure why I would need if spacer works fine. Want to retain some rake so will Probably go #5 Bilstein on front with 1” in back. Thanks for your comments.
Spacer did not effect ride at all, still using factory shocks also , may upgrade one of these days but truck is really smooth right now. ZY spacers (AMAZON)

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
I will post pics soon with the spacer installed in the rear, been raining here in NC non stop ! Thinking about trading Ram in on a boat
Mark, thanks for the feedback. Debating if I want to just do the front with 5100 at #6 or do both front and rear 5100/5160 add Icon springs in the rear or go with 1.5 spacer. If I go with spring or spacer do I go up to #7? What to do what to do... I want it level with little rake as possible but I also tow a boat once a week.

MarkB67

Reaction score
Mark, thanks for the feedback. Debating if I want to just do the front with 5100 at #6 or do both front and rear 5100/5160 add Icon springs in the rear or go with 1.5 spacer. If I go with spring or spacer do I go up to #7? What to do what to do... I want it level with little rake as possible but I also tow a boat once a week.
If I had it to do over again I would have put 5100s at #5 , I feel it is a 1/2” higher than I prefer, that is supposed to be 1.7 but in reality it is probably 2”, but I can’t take it anywhere without people walking up to me telling me how good it looks , but these trucks need a little rake , people on here are obsessed with the truck being level but when you have the same measurement from tire to fender front and back the body of the truck will actually be riding 1” high in the front

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
Good to know, So if I went with #5 and no rear spacer I would be good? What about the Thunderer RT Tires? Think they would rub with it just at #5? I’d love to see some side view picks of your current set up. Thanks

MarkB67

Reaction score
Good to know, So if I went with #5 and no rear spacer I would be good? What about the Thunderer RT Tires? Think they would rub with it just at #5? I’d love to see some side view picks of your current set up. Thanks
They won’t rub at 5, but I would at least do a 1” in the rear, but that is preference, Haven’t seen the RT tires

MarkB67

Reaction score

Attachments

• CDEB1061-7D36-46AA-9ACD-54AA37AD957F.jpeg
    CDEB1061-7D36-46AA-9ACD-54AA37AD957F.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 8BEF6C5E-364F-4E7D-BB90-84376A3A2D8B.jpeg
    8BEF6C5E-364F-4E7D-BB90-84376A3A2D8B.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 306
  • FF54EEF2-5AC2-49E0-9A17-BA67FF4A22F8.jpeg
    FF54EEF2-5AC2-49E0-9A17-BA67FF4A22F8.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 296

sergetexan

Reaction score
And this is Bilstein and spacer only, OEM springs, OEM UCA’s? Looks good, I’ve decided 5” in front and 1 inch spacer in back, now to shop for tires.....

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. That’s the same stance I’m looking for. Let me get this straight. #6 up front and a 1.5 in spacer in the rear?

MarkB67

Reaction score
And this is Bilstein and spacer only, OEM springs, OEM UCA’s? Looks good, I’ve decided 5” in front and 1 inch spacer in back, now to shop for tires.....
Yes but bought the Mopar UCA’s but you don’t need them, you need to measure from the bottom of the fender to the top of your 20 rim and see what you come up with

sergetexan

Reaction score
Yes but bought the Mopar UCA’s but you don’t need them, you need to measure from the bottom of the fender to the top of your 20 rim and see what you come up with
Ok thanks, I guess if I stay under 2 inches the stock UCA’s pare good. Would the off-road Mopar rear spring vs 1 inch spacer be a better solution for the rear end?

sergetexan

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I guess if I stay under 2 inches the stock UCA’s pare good. Would the off-road Mopar rear spring vs 1 inch spacer be a better solution for the rear end?

Users who are viewing this thread