5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

mustard54

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and hadn't seen this discussed anywhere yet so forgive me if I missed a thread. Anyone have any opinions/experience on a good tuner for the 2019 Ram 1500? I'm looking to get one for my new truck before too long in order to turn off the MDS. I've seen some reviews on the Diablo and it looks nice but was curious of other opinions.
I added the Edge Pulsar a couple of weeks ago and really have enjoyed it. The obvious throttle and shift point changes are super responsive. I have enjoyed it and have an appointment at the dyno in two weeks to see the actual numbers. Install was simple and took me 10 minutes. Just have to pop it off when I take it to the dealer.

Attachments

• B9E11C8C-F66D-48C1-A194-5F43D1738099.jpeg
    B9E11C8C-F66D-48C1-A194-5F43D1738099.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 63

Phoon

Reaction score
Interested in this as well. The upshifts are wicked in our Durango R/T 8spd in factory sport mode. Really loud BLAAAAP between shifts and it puts you back a little.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
They are still smooth at part throttle but much snappier in sport, if proper tunes are available they could adjust that no problem.

Mahoskwitz

Reaction score
Is there any way to update the Pulsar unit yet? If not, are there any concerns with updates from FCA/dealer to the onboard electronics where the Pulsar device would no longer be operational?

SColang22

Reaction score
Is there any way to update the Pulsar unit yet? If not, are there any concerns with updates from FCA/dealer to the onboard electronics where the Pulsar device would no longer be operational?
they have instructions on how to update it on their website. Computer updates can’t affect the pulsar because it’s a different unit

mustard54

Reaction score
Yes with the obdII connection cord you can update them. I have the cord but so far no updates available. They sent me the latest version and I signed up for update emails to alert me of any new firmware comes in that I would need to update.

Mahoskwitz

Reaction score
they have instructions on how to update it on their website. Computer updates can’t affect the pulsar because it’s a different unit
Thanks for the info and was able to find that in their instructions!

Second half of my question was geared more towards how reactive can the product be to truck updates. Not in the sense that it would get updated at the same time, but that Edge would release independent updates to get the Pulsar unit up to speed with FCA made updates to stock electronics. Looks like @mustard54 is on the right track with subscribing to future updates. I wonder how many they've released in the last 6-12 months.

Thanks all

Blueraptor

Reaction score
What is the difference between the Edge Products Pulsar and the Diablosport? Are they essentially the same thing with different branding? If so, does anyone know who it is actually manufactured by? Is one better than the other for any reason?

SColang22

Reaction score
What is the difference between the Edge Products Pulsar and the Diablosport? Are they essentially the same thing with different branding? If so, does anyone know who it is actually manufactured by? Is one better than the other for any reason?
All the same product. Then are owned by the same company.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All the same product. Then are owned by the same company.
The pulsar and diablosport aren’t the same product. The diablosport is a tuner that requires an unlocked pcm and will void some warranty stuff pretty much and the pulsar is a piggyback system that doesn’t require an unlocked pcm and is supposedly removable and untraceable.

SColang22

Reaction score
The pulsar and diablosport aren’t the same product. The diablosport is a tuner that requires an unlocked pcm and will void some warranty stuff pretty much and the pulsar is a piggyback system that doesn’t require an unlocked pcm and is supposedly removable and untraceable.
Nope. That’s the T2. He’s asked about the pulsar. Pulsar is made by both. Diablosport is a company that makes tuners not a tuner.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Powerteq LLC owns and manages the Edge Products, Diablosport, and Superchips brands. Pulsar is sold under all 3 brand names. Pretty silly and confusing from a marketing standpoint.

It appears Diablosport has cracked the 2019 ECU and offers an unlocked ECU and tuner with the ability to use custom tunes. It is more expensive with options ranging from $650 to $1000 with canned tunes plus whatever a Dyno or datalog adjusted tune cost.

If no hardware mods are made to the motor, I can't see where it has much advantage over the Pulsar. With mods, absolutely.

SColang22

Reaction score
Powerteq LLC owns and manages the Edge Products, Diablosport, and Superchips brands. Pulsar is sold under all 3 brand names. Pretty silly and confusing from a marketing standpoint.

It appears Diablosport has cracked the 2019 ECU and offers an unlocked ECU and tuner with the ability to use custom tunes. It is more expensive with options ranging from $650 to $1000 with canned tunes plus whatever a Dyno or datalog adjusted tune cost.

If no hardware mods are made to the motor, I can't see where it has much advantage over the Pulsar. With mods, absolutely.
The advantage is the ability to do custom tunes. Even with no mods a custom tune could give you a much more aggressive tune then what a can tune does

Phoon

Reaction score

even without other mods a proper tune is much better than the pulsar. A real tune can adjust air fuel ratio, timing, etc for high octane fuel , actually turn off the MDS, tune out torque management and tune the transmission. The pulsar basically adjusts throttle response and tricks the truck into staying out of mds by modulating the throttle.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
even without other mods a proper tune is much better than the pulsar. A real tune can adjust air fuel ratio, timing, etc for high octane fuel , actually turn off the MDS, tune out torque management and tune the transmission. The pulsar basically adjusts throttle response and tricks the truck into staying out of mds by modulating the throttle.
Must be more to it than that. 0.3 sec 0-60 is a 25hp gain by most estimations. We know timing is advanced. You are right that not much else is done.

I don't see any great gains beyond that without supporting mods. Changing A/F helps in what way? Gassers have to run within specific limits. Without adding more air, how would adding more fuel help. A rich mix can kill the cat converter. A leaner burn engine makes more power. Extra fuel staves off detonation but without extra dynamic compression, the motor won't be more prone to pinging. With a cam change, absolutely. For a CAI, maybe....but the stock airbox flows well. I haven't seen any gains other than manufacturers claims on intakes.

I'm not arguing that a custom tunes isn't better. They are. I suspect without mods, the difference will be minimal. For the $1300-$1500 spent for an unlocked ECU, tuner, and dyno tuning...plus voided warranty risks, I'll stick with the Pulsar for now.

I encourage others to get custom tuning and document the gains. After I'm out of warranty, I may revisit the options. The jury is still out for now.

lsteele

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and hadn't seen this discussed anywhere yet so forgive me if I missed a thread. Anyone have any opinions/experience on a good tuner for the 2019 Ram 1500? I'm looking to get one for my new truck before too long in order to turn off the MDS. I've seen some reviews on the Diablo and it looks nice but was curious of other opinions.
Diablo had an i3 programmer almost done but requires a unlocked pcm also. Gonna cost about 800. Don't buy just yet, support is weak on this model for a while.

lsteele

Reaction score
Had a Pulsar, returned it as mds turned on and off briefly every 4 seconds. Could hear it in the car back system.

SColang22

Reaction score
Diablo had an i3 programmer almost done but requires a unlocked pcm also. Gonna cost about 800. Don't buy just yet, support is weak on this model for a while.
They have the T2 out as well

Users who are viewing this thread