5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

Spokes

Reaction score
I use the Z-edge R1 with rear camera. For the price, cant beat it. It got a great video of me getting walked by a TRX the other morning 😁

monkeypunch

Reaction score
**** this blackvue. Finally get my truck back from the dealer. Now I can't get my phone to connect to the camera. No other wifi or Bluetooth connections. Uninstaller the app. Restarted phone. Can't get the camera to pair. The app only detects the camera 50% of the time in the seamless pairing screen. Doesn't matte4 how great the image is if the camera is unusable.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
**** this blackvue. Finally get my truck back from the dealer. Now I can't get my phone to connect to the camera. No other wifi or Bluetooth connections. Uninstaller the app. Restarted phone. Can't get the camera to pair. The app only detects the camera 50% of the time in the seamless pairing screen. Doesn't matte4 how great the image is if the camera is unusable.
You clearly have an issue that may have a simple resolution. PM me and I'll give you my cell so I can get more details and try to help you. These cameras are bullet proof and it's either user error or potentially a bad camera. I'll look forward to your PM and connecting with you soon.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
You clearly have an issue that may have a simple resolution. PM me and I'll give you my cell so I can get more details and try to help you. These cameras are bullet proof and it's either user error or potentially a bad camera. I'll look forward to your PM and connecting with you soon.
Thanks. The camera is constantly restarting too. Going to get the SD card reformatted and hard wire the power back in just to eliminate those too possibilities. If that doesn't work, I'll be giving you a call. Did a 12 hour road trip yesterday with it restarting the entire drive.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. The camera is constantly restarting too. Going to get the SD card reformatted and hard wire the power back in just to eliminate those too possibilities. If that doesn't work, I'll be giving you a call. Did a 12 hour road trip yesterday with it restarting the entire drive.
The last time I saw what you are describing it was an SD card issue. Once reformatted, the problem was solved. Let me know...here to help you my friend!

monkeypunch

Reaction score
The last time I saw what you are describing it was an SD card issue. Once reformatted, the problem was solved. Let me know...here to help you my friend!
You are correct. It was the SD card. Interesting it looks like they are running the camera functions off of the SD card. Seems to be working fine now.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine do that once it gets close to half full of locked files that can't be over written, or removed from camera itself. Reformat the card, on a computer, and it's good for a couple months.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are correct. It was the SD card. Interesting it looks like they are running the camera functions off of the SD card. Seems to be working fine now.
Awesome to hear! You should always reformat your card once a month, regardless of dash cam make or model, to extend the life of the card. I have cards going on 3+ years with no issue if you take care of them. Yes, Blackvue does store parameters on the card. Happy to help!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Awesome to hear! You should always reformat your card once a month, regardless of dash cam make or model, to extend the life of the card. I have cards going on 3+ years with no issue if you take care of them. Yes, Blackvue does store parameters on the card. Happy to help!
Needing to format an SD card once a month?
Are you crazy?

That reminds me of when my ISP told me it's normal and required to reboot the cable modem every 2 weeks.

SD cards are flash storage, formatting it does nothing.
Doing a long format and zeroing everything out just puts extra stress and wear on the card and again, effectively does nothing.
If an SD card needs to be formatted it's either a bad card, or a bad device.

Only data should be stored on the SD card, nothing from the device. If the device relies on a SD card to function (without recording obviously) that's a huge fault.
Image not being able to make a call with your cell phone because the SD card inside broke.

To be clear i'm not hating on the Blackview or whatever it is in particular, all dash cameras are complete crap and it's unfortunate.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you crazy?

That reminds me of when my ISP told me it's normal and required to reboot the cable modem every 2 weeks.

Doing a long format and zeroing everything out just puts extra stress and wear on the card and again, effectively does nothing.

Only data should be stored on the SD card, nothing from the device. If the device relies on a SD card to function (without recording obviously) that's a huge fault.
Image not being able to make a call with your cell phone because the SD card inside broke.

To be clear i'm not hating on the Blackview or whatever it is in particular, all dash cameras are complete crap and it's unfortunate.
You obviously never lived in the late 90's early 2000s when you had to run disk config on your hard drive once a week to keep it running good. SD cards are flash storage,but fragments of files still remain when over writing and fill up the free space.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You obviously never lived in the late 90's early 2000s when you had to run disk config on your hard drive once a week to keep it running good. SD cards are flash storage,but fragments of files still remain when over writing and fill up the free space.
You are mistaking disk config for disk defragment. And you would NEVER run that on an SD card or SSD or any kind of flash storage. It only existed to adjust data to be in proper order for fast access by HDD heads.
Flash storage doesn't use seeking heads so there's no point, and in fact most flash storage does better when data IS fragmented.

And as like you said, this is not the late 90s or the early 2000s, you should not be needing to format SD cards in a dash cam monthly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are mistaking disk config for disk defragment. And you would NEVER run that on an SD card or SSD or any kind of flash storage. It only existed to adjust data to be in proper order for fast access by HDD heads.
Flash storage doesn't use seeking heads so there's no point, and in fact most flash storage does better when data IS fragmented.

And as like you said, this is not the late 90s or the early 2000s, you should not be needing to format SD cards in a dash cam monthly.
Yes, you are right, I couldnt remember defrag and config is what popped in my head. Either way, fragmented files are never a good thing.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
found this by way of google

"With loop recording, the card will need to be formatted on a regular basis. This is when there is a build-up of protected files stored on the card, which shortens the recording time. It is generally recommended to format the SD card once a month to free up space."
"A build up of protected files"? The actual F is that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"A build up of protected files"? The actual F is that.

Dash cams will lock some clips if it detects an "event" that could be a wreck. Hit a large pot holes locked file. Have to make a panic stop, locked file. Sudden loud sound, locked file. Those locked files can't be over written and decrease storage space.

If you don't understand how dash cams work, maybe shouldn't be commenting, saying others who do, don't know what we are talking about.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use "endurance" cards on all my dash cams. It's supposed to be for high read/write equipment like security cams and dash cams.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you crazy?

YES...every month. Based on the intense loop writing to the SD card by dash cams, most all dash cam manufacturers ask that you reformat your card monthly. Contrary to what you may believe you know, for dash cams, and other heavy data writing devices, a monthly format should be done and it will increase the longevity of the card as well as prevent read/write errors which you do not want on a dash cam.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Rammmer

Reaction score
I picked up a Vantrue N4 3 Channel 4K Dash Cam during Prime Day for a good deal and was planning to do an install in my Ram 1500. Would this be a similar install to the Blackvue? Is there a good guide to run the wire for the rear camera?

Users who are viewing this thread