5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you, I had not found this one.

Did you dremel that hole in your rear view cluster and pop it off to run it in there? I haven’t looked at taking anything apart yet, I need to get up in there and take a look. I’m afraid of popping it off and a tab or something breaking off and not being able to put it back on.
On the bottom right side of the mirrors plastic shroud is a small flat opening. Just put a flat head screwdriver in there and twist it and it will pop it off. Super easy and I can assure you that you will not break anything. I then took my soldering iron and melted a groove for the wire to come through. If you want to call me and chat via cell, PM and we can connect. Happy to walk you through it.

sd2134

Reaction score
This has been a good timely post as i was looking to get a dash cam for my truck . Thanks for all the info on the various dash cams .. after going to youtube and Amazon , watching videos and reading info /reviews on the various cams and shifting through the pros and cons along with info on wifi .. non wifi ... cloud ... options ... software and cost ( enough to make my head spin ) i decide to go with the Thinkware Q800 Pro, just didnt get a warm fuzzy feeling on the blackvue ;) thanks to securityguy on his insights on the dash cams .
one question that i have is i notice on some of these dash cams they talk about parking mode and its my understanding that once the vehicle is turned off it will go into parking mode ( if you set it up that way ).. they have a battery monitor the will shut the unit down to save your vehicles battery ... it seems they mention how good this option is but really dont make too much mention of a battery backup to use this option ... i dont know maybe i just havent seen as much about it but am i wrong to think that if you want to use this type of function that you will also need to purchase a battery back up ? .... so the question to you guys that have these types of high end dash cams ... do you use a battery back up or just dont use things like a parking mode option .... maybe i am missing something. thanks (y)

I have the Thinkware hardwired to the internal fuse panel. One lead is constant 12v and the other is a accessory feed. I had my truck sitting for 3 days and it was still recording in the parking mode without a separate battery backup. As you stated the camera will shut down at a user selected voltage. The draw back is the hardwired cable uses 2 amp glass fuses. If I can ever find 2 amp Micro 2 fuses, I will cut the glass fuses out and run a 2 amp in the fuse panel tap.

ThinkWare and BlackVue are both good cameras sourced from South Korea they share some common components such as the various megapixel Sony lenses and hard-wire cable. The hard-wire cable on both systems use a somewhat proprietary 3-conductor coaxial power plug. Shared by, Thinkware U100, Q800Pro, F800Pro, FA200, BlackVue DR750X Plus, DR900X Series, DR750X Series, DR590X Series.

If you are doing a self install, this video by Tony the Truck Guy is a good source of information.

Last edited:

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the bottom right side of the mirrors plastic shroud is a small flat opening. Just put a flat head screwdriver in there and twist it and it will pop it off. Super easy and I can assure you that you will not break anything. I then took my soldering iron and melted a groove for the wire to come through. If you want to call me and chat via cell, PM and we can connect. Happy to walk you through it.
Thanks man! I still have to order it (wanted to figure out all the logistics before I did) and I did feel that little rectangular opening this morning. If I run into any trouble when I’m hooking it up I might take you up on your offer.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Trust a guy who knows a TON about Dash cams and has been installing them forever. You want the Blackvue DR750X-Plus 2CH set-up. The DR-900 is a great 4K camera, but it doesn't perform much better than the 750X which has a better SONY image sensor and will save you some cash. If you don't want to spend the money on the Blackvue, your next best option is the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

Does the blackvue install well if you have a hard top installed? Does anyone know? Or is there a better option? Thanks in advance.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the blackvue install well if you have a hard top installed? Does anyone know? Or is there a better option? Thanks in advance.
A hard top what? Not sure I am following you. If you are talking about a hard cover for your bed, a dash cam has nothing to do with that. Maybe I am missing the meaning of your question:unsure:

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
The back of my truck has a Lear hard top installed as of last week. A cap / a topper. I know that BlackVue makes a model of the DR750X that mounts to the rear of a truck, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience mounting them. Here are a couple of pictures of the back of my truck. I'm just thinking either the top of the topper or the top of the tailgate may be the best place for a backup camera but didn't know if anyone has any other thoughts. Feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 85

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The back of my truck has a Lear hard top installed as of last week. A cap / a topper. I know that BlackVue makes a model of the DR750X that mounts to the rear of a truck, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience mounting them. Here are a couple of pictures of the back of my truck. I'm just thinking either the top of the topper or the top of the tailgate may be the best place for a backup camera but didn't know if anyone has any other thoughts. Feedback appreciated.
Understood. This is your best option:

Just drill a few holes in the fiberglass top and run your cable into the cab. Should be pretty simple actually.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score

jefferyrw

Reaction score
Apples and Oranges! The 750S is an outdated camera. the newest version, the 750X-Plus cannot be beat. Uses the latest SONY Starvis Sensor and 60fps. Thinkware is good, the new DR750X-Plus is better.
If I order the 750X-Plus from the BlackVue web site, which fuse tap set should I select? I am leaning toward ordering from BlackVue over Amazon because there are many complaints of people ordering new products from Amazon and receiving repackaged returns.

Last edited:

Mb7640

Reaction score
If I order the 750X-Plus from the BlackVue web site, which fuse tap set should I select? I am leaning toward ordering from BlackVue over Amazon because there are many complaints of people ordering new products from Amazon and receiving repackaged returns.
Depends on what fuse you are using. On my 2021 1500 I used the mirro 2 I believe. Also check out Blackbox my car for the dashcam it may be cheaper

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Blackbox My Car and Dash Cam Store are reputable stores for BlackVue and Thinkware dash cams (and other brands). You can often find a 10% code for them, too.

As for fuse tap, you want micro 2.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Placed an order today for the BlackVue DR750X-2CH-PLUS using the link securityguy provided in an earlier post. And got the 10% discount for being a new customer and shipping is free. Better deal than Amazon, and I get the peace of mind knowing that it will not be a returned item and I'm not supporting Jeff Bezos with this purchase 😜

jefferyrw

Reaction score
I just ordered a BlackVue DR900X-2CH Dual Lens 4K dash cam from TheDashCamStore.com with the 10% discount and free shipping. I hope that is all that they claim it is. I also selected the fuse tap set and polarizing filter options.

bud007

Reaction score
Like i previously stated i went with the Thinkware q800pro and have been happy with it. A couple of things i noted on the install and use. I went to the Thinkware website and ordered a refurbished dash cam ( looks brand new and no sighs of prior use (y)) which came with a rear camera and hard wire kit as it was much cheaper in price , the install was fairly easy as they definitely give you more that enough cable for the back camera , so much more that you really have to find a place to hide it ;)like i did , as i used the upper route in the headliner you also have to keep in mind the mounting spot if you have a rear sliding window .
Being an electrician ( high voltage , motor control ) i have no problem wiring it into the fuse panel , ( and this comment is not about opening a can of worms ) BUT i do have a problem with those inline piggyback fuses that you can buy on amazon ( have had hit or miss with electrical items purchase on Amazon ) and this is only MY opinion as i am sure they probably work fine , but again personally just don't trust them as i would if they were made by a more reputable company ,such as Cutler Hammer , Eaton , Bussman ect. , and i am sure if i researched it more i could possibly find one made by said companies.
So for now i am just using the cigarette socket power cable that came with the unit to power it and it has been working fine.
I should also state that i have been using a few different micro SD cards that have been working fine, both made by SanDisk , a SanDisk 400gb Ultra microSDXC UHS -l memory card and the other a SanDisk Ultra 128GB UHS-I Class 10 MicroSDXC Memory card , both with no problems and both much less expensive than the micro SD cards the dashcam manufacturers sell, but keep in mind THESE work in my dashcam and might not work in all so just do some research or like i did only order 1 of them and try it out.
thanks to the many who have contributed to this post(y)

jefferyrw

Reaction score
I finished installing my BlackVue DR900X-2CH Dual Lens 4K dash cam from TheDashCamStore.com over the weekend. With some excellent advice from @securityguy I routed the rear camera cable above the headliner. I fished the cable from the third brake light access to the driver's side pillar. Until I chatted with securityguy I had planned on routing it along the side but what a pain that would have been by comparison. Like securityguy and a few others I coped a semi-circle opening on the mirror trim piece to hide the cables from the camera to the headliner. Thanks (from a fellow EE) for your assistance @securityguy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I hardwired the camera to the fuse panel using fuse taps which I also purchased from The Dash Cam Store.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I finished installing my BlackVue DR900X-2CH Dual Lens 4K dash cam from TheDashCamStore.com over the weekend. With some excellent advice from @securityguy I routed the rear camera cable above the headliner. I fished the cable from the third brake light access to the driver's side pillar. Until I chatted with securityguy I had planned on routing it along the side but what a pain that would have been by comparison. Like securityguy and a few others I coped a semi-circle opening on the mirror trim piece to hide the cables from the camera to the headliner. Thanks (from a fellow EE) for your assistance @securityguy.
Thanks Jeff...it was great talking to you and I was happy to be of assistance. Enjoy the new Blackvue my friend!

jefferyrw

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff...it was great talking to you and I was happy to be of assistance. Enjoy the new Blackvue my friend!
I enjoyed our chat as well, Larry. The whole installation only took about two hours although I only worked on it for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. Due to the short work sessions it took all weekend to get finished but everything is back together and the firmware update is complete. Now I just hope that I never need to use the recordings for anything but having fun looking at them.

Sherran

Reaction score
I do not recommend the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo if you live in a hotter area. I've had mine almost a year in October and while I loved it at first, once summer hit (average high 90s-low 100s F), the front camera over heats and will continuously turn on and off until it cools down. It will get too hot to touch. I made sure to buy a memory card for hotter climates as well and I've made sure it's up to date. I have also googled/youtube'd videos to see if maybe my settings for parking mode are too high. I have noticed that adjusting some of those settings have helped a little but I still have the same problem almost daily here in the Texas heat. I am going to continue using it as I love everything else about it.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Edit: I forgot to mention that I hardwired the camera to the fuse panel using fuse taps which I also purchased from The Dash Cam Store.
Could you give more details on how you ran the cable? I’ve already installed my front and rear cam, so I’m more curious that anything else.

What I did for the read camera was run the cable a short distance up the windshield, under the headliner, to the driver A pillar, down the A pillar, along the bottom of the front door opening, past the B pillar, along the back door opening, up the C pillar, behind the headline, and to the center of the back window.

Is there a better/simpler way?

jefferyrw

Reaction score
Could you give more details on how you ran the cable? I’ve already installed my front and rear cam, so I’m more curious that anything else.

What I did for the read camera was run the cable a short distance up the windshield, under the headliner, to the driver A pillar, down the A pillar, along the bottom of the front door opening, past the B pillar, along the back door opening, up the C pillar, behind the headline, and to the center of the back window.

Is there a better/simpler way?
I removed the third brake light which gave me easy access to the space above the headliner. I then used a flexible fish tape which I pushed through the third brake light mounting hole to the driver's side A pillar. I attached the cable to the fish tape and pulled it through to the rear window leaving enough slack to run the cable across the front of the headliner to the the front camera. There was a lot of spare cable at the back, I coiled it up and secured it with a zip tie. There was plenty of room for the coil of spare cable above the rear end of the head liner. I used a bent bracket from The Dash Cam Store to mount the camera in the center of the rear window without interfering with the sliding center section.

I hope this provides you with the detail that you requested.

Users who are viewing this thread