5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 19 11.2%

• Total voters

Chuck44

Reaction score
I am really wanting to get one of these, but I am not sure that it will fit in my garage. I have a measured 23.75 inches of clearance from the Bed Rail Caps to the top of my garage door opening. The listed height of the EV1000-MB Cap is 23.03 inches. It is not clear if that is the installed maximum height including the vent on the top and any added height from the rubber gasket installed between the bed rails and the SmartCap....or if it is just the raw height of the panels. Can someone who has one of these installed on a 19-24 DT RAM measure the "installed height" from the bed rail caps to the top of the vent...it would be much appreciated? Thanks

Last edited:

roaminwiththeromes

Reaction score
I put a board on the smartcap and measured straight up from the bed rails. 23.75 inches though I'd round up to 24. Smart cap is an inch or two taller than the truck

Chuck44

Reaction score
I put a board on the smartcap and measured straight up from the bed rails. 23.75 inches though I'd round up to 24. Smart cap is an inch or two taller than the truck
Thank You! That is going to be zero clearance for me...even with pretty worn tires. Just to clarify, was the board placed on the vent?

mresseguie

Reaction score
I've had the SmartCap on my truck since last fall. No complaints with water intrusion so far.
One of the marketing points RSI use is the "positive pressure vent" on the roof which they claim keeps dust out.
I never got a chance to test that until this past week when I had a camping trip out to a dusty part of SE Oregon, with plenty of miles of gravel roads. ( Steens Mountain area )
Well... the bed of the truck got VERY dusty inside and everything in it coated in dust.
However, I am not yet ready to blame the cap. It fits very tightly to the bed with a good seal all around, including on the tail gate. The access doors on the cap also have good seals.
I think the reason is the tail gate itself, there's a significant gap between the tail gate and the side of the bed.
I need to figure out some way to seal that up. I see plenty of products out there for tail gate seal kits. Just wondering if anyone reading this thread has any recommendations for anything that has worked well. Elsewhere on the forum I saw someone mention a brand called ESI.

I'll bet we came damned close to passing each other on/near Steens Mtn. I entered it from the south access road. Ten miles of gravel <in both directions> coated everything in my bed with a thick layer of dust. Of course, I still had the flimsy vinyl cover that was on the bed when I bought my truck last year. My SmartCap Adventure was only installed a month ago. They sealed all the edges except for either side of the tailgate (close to the top - just like your photo). I've been eying the gaps, and figure I can block them with some extra thick weather stripping/gate seal tape.

Did your installer add putty to the two front corners (where the bed meets the cab)? It looks kinda goofy, but the installers said it'll last ten years and guaranteed it will keep the corners sealed. We're heading out for the weekend, but I'll post a photo of it in a couple days.

BTW, our trucks look like twins. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread