5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 84 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 19 11.6%

• Total voters

lmangold408

Reaction score
Here is a few more pictures as requested. I have no plans or anything for it yet. My next item might be a pull out tray (CargoGlide) for the bed to help with loading items in the back. I live in Suffolk, Va.

View attachment 65695 View attachment 65696 View attachment 65697 View attachment 65698 View attachment 65699 View attachment 65700
Suffolk? I'm in Moyock and work in Norfolk. Where did you get the EVO and would you mind if I met you to take a look before I order one for my 2020 PW? My site name is the first half of my gmail account email if that helps. Thanks. Larry

Wild Goose

Reaction score
I really want to love these for all the features noted, but they look undersized for the vehicle and like an add-on. I think it's the contrast between the truck's smooth lines and cap's angles. Maybe color match would help. Is it just me? I may be in the 'Pappy's cap' demographic... Please someone tell me I'm wrong. I still want one of these!

PHFT

Reaction score
I really want to love these for all the features noted, but they look undersized for the vehicle and like an add-on. I think it's the contrast between the truck's smooth lines and cap's angles. Maybe color match would help. Is it just me? I may be in the 'Pappy's cap' demographic... Please someone tell me I'm wrong. I still want one of these!
Those reasons you mentioned of how it looks is part of why I got mine, I didn't want my truck to look like an SUV, I like that it doesn't line up exactly flush and that there are gaps, you still get the best parts about a truck cap but without looking like an SUV IMO, plus it holds 770lbs static which is more than enough for my roof top tent with my gf and I up there. You might be right about getting a colour match depending on the colour of your truck, but I find the black works well with my grey. Also there is plenty of room inside, even with the decked drawers, I love mine.

IMG_9454.jpg IMG_9458.jpg IMG_9459.jpg IMG_9438.jpg

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
For for SmartCap adopters - has anyone put cross bars on using the tracks in the roof? I have a SmartCap on order and need to get my rooftop box up there quickly and am worried about parts being in short supply.

I ideally would like to know what Yakima base/foot option works with the RSI track so I can leverage some of my other Yakima components.

But because I'll be pressed for time I'm open to using Thule or any other system that others have used as I don't have time to experiment before an upcoming trip.

My thanks in advance if anyone has any experience here.
I know this is an old thread. I’m about to pull the trigger on the smart cap. It seems you have to buy their load bars which attach to the smart cap factory rails. I wanted to transfer my Thule bars from my 4Runner onto 2021 Ram with smart cap but it won’t work.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread. I’m about to pull the trigger on the smart cap. It seems you have to buy their load bars which attach to the smart cap factory rails. I wanted to transfer my Thule bars from my 4Runner onto 2021 Ram with smart cap but it won’t work.
I had a RSI dealer in Denver tell me that the have had great luck and configurations with Rhino Rack crossbars. They claim that Rhino and RSI have had discussions about using Rhino stuff on RSI caps. I think it was this place.

A&A TOPPER'S SOUTH​

5425 S Broadway
Littleton, CO 80121

(303) 797-3233

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
One of the reasons I’m considering buying the smart cap is it’s strength- I doubt you’d want to stand on top of a Leer or ARE cap to load things but the smart cap would have no problem supporting my weight along with whatever I’m transporting up there. It definitely has a less refined look compared to those fiberglass caps tho.

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
Hello, long time listener first time caller...

I had been wanting to get a truck cap since I acquired my truck back in Oct '19. I got quotes from Leer and ARE caps with windoors, fold down front window, roof rack tracks, wiring provisions, anywhere from $3200 to $3500 installed and but I was hesitant in pulling the trigger considering some of the craftsmanship issues I have read/viewed from owners reviews were a little disconcerting. I think in the beginning of the year RSI released some information they were coming to the US with the initial release for the F150. Pricing was not that much more (versus the quotes I was getting for the Leer/ARE) for what appeared to be a better quality product being all steel construction, larger side windows and an attractive contemporary design. So I partook and probably unnecessary, the pre-order when the Ram 1500 SmartCap was announced.

My cap finally arrived in late July at my local authorized dealer and I took delivery. The SmartCap comes in two boxes, one for the roof panel and a refrigerator-sized box for all of the other panels, installation hardware, seals and instructions. When I was prepping for assembly, I laid down the roof box and I noticed the lower corner of the box had torn away from the underside of the box. I did not cut away the plastic straps and open the box and instead looked inside where the box was damaged and I could tell the roof was also damaged and appeared to have been dropped on that corner. All of the other components in the other box were undamaged and so I returned the roof the next day to the dealer. After a hiccup in getting the replacement roof in, I finally got it a week later. I want to add that I had no push-back whatsoever with the dealer and they were very accommodating which was a relief. The installation is pretty straight forward and having another person to assist will be helpful. Putting this on you will need some extra help, 3-4 people. Fine tuning the final location of the cap on the bed is easier if you get inside the bed and push up from the middle of the cap to not disturb the bulb seals on the underside of the cap. I could have positioned the cap tight behind the truck cab but since I will be using the truck on back country trails I moved it back about an inch to 2-inches to prevent any damage to the cab or cap. I'm still waiting for the 3rd brake light wire harness adapter from RSI which was supposed to be included with the rest of the kit and after talking with the rep he confirmed this.

Besides playing the waiting game and then having to get the roof replaced AND still waiting for the harness to complete the install, I'm still happy with the cap and have no regerts at this time. I definitely would advise RSI to package and protect these caps better especially the roof since there is no extra reinforcement of the box or any padding like foam to protect the corners of the roof.

View attachment 66510 View attachment 66511
Looks great on your Ram. I’m about to order the smart cap but RSI is saying the load bars won’t be available until late March/early April which won’t work for me. Are those RSI load bars on your cap or another manufacturers bars?
-thanks

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
I had a RSI dealer in Denver tell me that the have had great luck and configurations with Rhino Rack crossbars. They claim that Rhino and RSI have had discussions about using Rhino stuff on RSI caps. I think it was this place.

A&A TOPPER'S SOUTH​

5425 S Broadway
Littleton, CO 80121

(303) 797-3233
Thanks for the info. I’m ready to buy the RSI cap but need the load bars and RSI won’t have them available until early April. I need them before that for a trip where I will be loading a bunch of gear on top of the cap.

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
I am really interested in this cap but I have yet to find a dealer in the northeast that has one or even seen one plus it is impossible to email RSI to talk to them about the caps.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I am really interested in this cap but I have yet to find a dealer in the northeast that has one or even seen one plus it is impossible to email RSI to talk to them about the caps.

It was impossible to find dealers in Colorado who had them as a demo to look at. Rsi seems to take a few days to respond but will eventually get back to you. I think you need to find someone nearby to see it or take the plunge like many of us did. I have zero regrets, built great, unique look and very sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFAngus

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the smart cap on a Mega Cab? I have been searching everywhere online and haven't found a single example. I'd love to see what it looks like to help me make a decision.

jaydawk

Reaction score
I'm considering a RSI SpartCap on a new 2021 RAM 1500 Limited Crew Cab 5'7" box in Granite Crystal Metallic paint. Would appreciate any input or reply to the following questions:
1) How does the cap pair/look with this color and trim?
2) Does it interfere with the Surround View camera, Park Assist system, or trailer reverse steering control/trailer identification.
3) I assume it blocks the Rear-View Digital Display Mirror camera -- does it still fit with this camera/light on the cab.
4) Does it have a window at the front that could communicate with the Cab back window to allow passthrough.

Thank you in advance for any response or comments.

350TX

Reaction score
Looks great on your Ram. I’m about to order the smart cap but RSI is saying the load bars won’t be available until late March/early April which won’t work for me. Are those RSI load bars on your cap or another manufacturers bars?
-thanks

RSI

Attached are a few photos of the track with measurements of the slot area. There should be load bar feet that can fit this type of track.
10f53228a85daab6f0e3d2012f773b76.jpg

32767ede225f024e05610b46d8c489e2.jpg

f5a01a190e5fe96a3d352689a16829d9.jpg

59b6a98043bdc12b122f6cd4183cb833.jpg

b88d19dad85523cb76ab8a1b7f7f49ea.jpg

Last edited:

350TX

Reaction score
I'm considering a RSI SpartCap on a new 2021 RAM 1500 Limited Crew Cab 5'7" box in Granite Crystal Metallic paint. Would appreciate any input or reply to the following questions:
2) Does it interfere with the Surround View camera, Park Assist system, or trailer reverse steering control/trailer identification.
3) I assume it blocks the Rear-View Digital Display Mirror camera -- does it still fit with this camera/light on the cab.
4) Does it have a window at the front that could communicate with the Cab back window to allow passthrough.

I’m assuming the camera is part of your 3rd brake light assy. Here are a few pics looking at that area and one from the inside.
416e7bfcc24d81a9a4da483e2a629057.jpg

ba5010a54e88ccf2562ac580098cf429.jpg

outdoorco75

Reaction score

It doesn't interfere with surround view camera, can't speak to other items.

It blocks the rear view camera for the most part, you can still see stuff behind you through shell rear window, kind of. This was my biggest disappointment but I knew it would happen when adding the shell.

It doesn't have a way to communicate, window latches inside shell, you would have to leave window open in shell. Maybe put a foam liner to seal back of cab to shell so you could use cab window to open and pass through.

I am pretty sure I posted a picture on this thread that shows the brake light with window since the one with a camera for rearview mirror is pretty big. I have no issues, plenty of room.

PHFT

Reaction score

Can only answer your first question as those options weren't available on the 2020 Rebel, but if you scroll up to post 123 you will see my Rebel in Granite Crystal Metallic with the black Smartcap.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Unless i missed it, it appears this top only comes for the shorter beds. I have a 6 foot 4 inch bed on my 2019 big horn and does it come for this size bed?

PHFT

Reaction score
Unless i missed it, it appears this top only comes for the shorter beds. I have a 6 foot 4 inch bed on my 2019 big horn and does it come for this size bed?
Nope, you're good.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.39.21 PM.png

ANYHEMI

Reaction score
Is the logo on the "doors" painted on or a sticker? I prefer less branding or monotone. If it was gloss black lettering against the matte black powder coat that'd be fine.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
I believe it’s branded. I have been thinking of getting a magnet to cover it but I barely notice it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online