5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 21.0%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 83 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 18 11.1%

• Total voters

Bikeyaker

Reaction score
<Long Sigh> No, I haven't. My dealer had trouble getting solid information from them, but finally got connected to some-one in the company who actually knew something. Here's what I was told:

"Estimated arrival time in Sept. They had to run more caps through their South Africa plant since the Texas plant took so long to get up and running. Texas will only be producing the backlog of Tacomas all the way through October at this time"

The Texas plant was meant to be in production months ago but it seems it only really got running production in May or June. I didn't call my dealer back yet, but my interpretation of the message they sent me is that mine is coming from the South Africa "mothership" and not the Texas plant. They do at least have my order and it is on their books to build it. These caps are popular in the overlanding community and I guess RAM 1500's are not as popular in the Overlanding community so we are obviously at the back of the line :-(
I’m probably in the same boat then. I agree I’m not really interested in other caps, but I had to put a full deposit down and I’m not interested in keeping it tied up indefinitely. I’m taking my last trip of the summer in July and don’t have anything planned until next year, so I might just cancel if I have to wait until September or later.

TSL

Reaction score
I’m probably in the same boat then. I agree I’m not really interested in other caps, but I had to put a full deposit down and I’m not interested in keeping it tied up indefinitely. I’m taking my last trip of the summer in July and don’t have anything planned until next year, so I might just cancel if I have to wait until September or later.
This weekend I'm at Overland Expo PNW in Redmond, OR. I found the Smartcap booth so I went up to them and said "Where's my cap"!!
The guy I talked to said that if I had my order number he could look it up and tell me exactly where it is in the system.
He said that given I ordered in Jan it's probably on a ship now .

I don't have my order number, I need to get it from my dealer.

The guy gave me his business card. He said to pass it on so here's the details

Dan Ward, ph 682 294 8373, 20230707_203202.jpg email [email protected]

If you haven't pulled the plug on yours yet and can get your order number from the dealer, maybe hit this guy up and see what happens

Bikeyaker

Reaction score
That's great, thank for sharing the info. I'm really on the fence, but if he can confirm that mine it actually on the way to me I might hold out a little longer.

TSL

Reaction score
Just got confirmation that mine is on a shipping container, expected in port in Houston around Aug 23rd. Customs plus the delivery chain will add another 2 to 3 weeks and then I should have it.

Bikeyaker

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that yours is on the way. I ended up cancelling my order already since I didn't get the idea anyone was being straight with me. Reportedly, they tried to withhold part of my deposit as a restocking fee, which is pretty funny considering they never even shipped my cap.

They have a really cool product and I hope you love yours. I'm kind of bummed that I won't be getting one, but ultimately I'm out of patience for the whole thing.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Since more of these caps are rolling out I wanted to see if anyone has color matched yet?

My truck is metallic silver with chrome package and I’m doubting the standard black will look good. Im having a hard time justifying a 4k cap then having to pay another 1k to have it painted.

roaminwiththeromes

Reaction score
Since more of these caps are rolling out I wanted to see if anyone has color matched yet?

My truck is metallic silver with chrome package and I’m doubting the standard black will look good. Im having a hard time justifying a 4k cap then having to pay another 1k to have it painted.
I tried to get the white smartcap but they were out of stock. I looked for pictures of white trucks with black caps and thought it was better than white on white. I'm not sure if silver with the black cap would look good but you could look for images online, see if you like it.

RamNomad

Reaction score
We just picked up our EVO Sport Smartcap yesterday. The build quality is awesome and I think it looks tough.

Attachments

• IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 63

TSL

Reaction score
Finally.....after close to 10 months of waiting ( ordered mid-January'23 ).... it's arrived and installed. I had my dealer install it. It took 2 guys + a forklift about 4 hrs to get it done.
With the long wait, I was tempted once or twice to consider bailing out and ordering an Alucab, but I do prefer the looks of this one and decided to hold out.
I chose the "A" model ( "adventure" ) rather than the "sport" model because I didn't really need the side window glass ( although it does look sharp ), and decided it was one more set of seals to potentially leak down the road.
Only thing now is that, here in the Pacific Northwest, camping season ( the primary purpose for which I got it ! ) is pretty much over, the "switched has been flipped" and the rain has started. It was a pouring wet day today when I went to get it fitted. So I may have to wait till next camping season to really get out and use this thing.
Next step is to make sure I can still get into the garage with the RTT on top ! From my measurements, the roof rails are no higher than they were with my Thule rack, which allowed me into the garage, so I should be good.

SmartcapPic.jpg

meidmann27

Reaction score
Loading a bed of a truck with a topper has never been easier.
9d0eb4c5272e72f8b14fc0118a6853e3.jpg

I just had my RSI smartcap installed and noticed a 2-3 millimeter gap between back door and top of tailgate. Did you have the same issue? Installer said it was because of multifunction tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoorco75

Reaction score
No. The weather stripping pushes right down on it. I will get you a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Critic

Reaction score
Finally.....after close to 10 months of waiting ( ordered mid-January'23 ).... it's arrived and installed. I had my dealer install it. It took 2 guys + a forklift about 4 hrs to get it done.
With the long wait, I was tempted once or twice to consider bailing out and ordering an Alucab, but I do prefer the looks of this one and decided to hold out.
I chose the "A" model ( "adventure" ) rather than the "sport" model because I didn't really need the side window glass ( although it does look sharp ), and decided it was one more set of seals to potentially leak down the road.
Only thing now is that, here in the Pacific Northwest, camping season ( the primary purpose for which I got it ! ) is pretty much over, the "switched has been flipped" and the rain has started. It was a pouring wet day today when I went to get it fitted. So I may have to wait till next camping season to really get out and use this thing.
Next step is to make sure I can still get into the garage with the RTT on top ! From my measurements, the roof rails are no higher than they were with my Thule rack, which allowed me into the garage, so I should be good.

View attachment 168066
Looks great. Any leaks?

TSL

Reaction score
Looks great. Any leaks?
So far, no, but limited experience so far. The day I got it fitted was a really wet day, so the bed of the truck was soaked before it went on. Hence even though I drove home in heavy rain, it was not a good test since everything was wet inside already. Although I will say there was no evidence of additional moisture coming through any of the seals.
The bed has since dried out, ( had a good drying day and left it out with all the doors opened up on the cap ) and yesterday I was up in the mountains for the day and drove home in the rain. It was steady rain although not super heavy. But it stayed dry inside. So I will say so far, so good.

Users who are viewing this thread