5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BELT BLOWN AT 9K Miles-URGENT READ

barrak

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's only good for the first 1/2 tire rotation.

Battery too small, belt too weak to ask for more. I still marvel at how minimally invasive this MGU setup is for what it does. A Star Trek's Scotty-worthy mash-up job.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Battery too small, belt too weak to ask for more. I still marvel at how minimally invasive this MGU setup is for what it does. A Star Trek's Scotty-worthy mash-up job.

It's really just an unnecessarily complicated start/stop system. Other than that, it's really not worth the additional weight/complications/etc.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I also thought the belt drive was pretty wimpy. Should have been a multi-pole motor/alternator integrated into the flywheel/transmission. But that would have required a lot of engineering in a short time frame, and probably hard to justify with the whole future of ICE and hybrids uncertain.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe you're remembering the torque figure. eTorque can add up to 130 lb-ft of torque.
Possibly. I’m thinking of a thread where someone was saying ET hemi was gas hp + ET hp. Maybe it was torque 🤷🏻‍♂️

killerformula

Reaction score
Once again, it's not more friction on anything. The little electric motor does not make the pulley tighter. It puts out 16hp. It turns or it does not is irrelevant. It just does not turn if the force on it is greater than its power.

More than likely a cheap POS belt used on a system that would benefit more from a decent tune on the 5.7 gas motor than adding a little electric one to it.

Ideally that is true. But the motor is not applying its force to something static. It turns when more as truck moves. If there is a defect in either the belt or the tensioner on that belt, you’ll more likely see it when it’s more difficult to turn the motor and move the truck than when it’s easier.

Just like your tires. You’re more likely to spin your tires trying to pull another car with a tow rope than you are just driving your empty truck, even if you apply the same amount of throttle (power) in either situation.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Shoot, put gears on that little 16hp motor and get rid of the belt. It will drive the truck all by itself, it has unlimited potential! Careful not to twist off an axle with all the power pouring off of that thing. It has way more power than that little hemi any day.

Driver

Reaction score
We need to be careful in getting the correct belt. I ordered a Goodyear on Amazon, and their parts tool gave me a narrow belt.

None of the auto parts places I called can cross reference the apparently correct Mopar 5281957aa.

Some say its 6 band, but it could be 8 band. Some of the part numbers given in this thread are 6 band, narrow belts, and possibly wrong.

The belts on 23s and 24s are 1 1/8" wide. Seems likely the 19-21s were too.

Best I can tell, the interchange for Mopar is Gates K080730 or a Dayco 5080730.

Appears that due to the relative newness of this belt no auto parts place i called can tell you what you need. Though Rock Auto and others do sell the correct Gates.

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
Unless the etorque belt changed for 23 and 24, we need to be careful in getting the correct belt.

None of the auto parts places I called can cross reference the apparently correct Mopar 5281957aa.

Some say its 6 band, but it could be 8 band. Almost all the part numbers given in this thread except the Mopar are narrow belts at 13/16" wide.

The belts on 23s and 24s are 1 1/8" wide. Not sure on 19-21.

Best I can tell is if you need the wide belt you want a Gates K080730 or a Dayco 5080730, or the Mopar.

Appears that due to the relative newness of this belt no auto parts place i called can tell you what you need.
Looks like you are correct!

I can verify my 2024 Laramie G/T 5.7 ETorque has...
5281957AA...Water Pump Belt
5281514AA...ETorque belt (8rib)

So it appears that the Gates Green belt for '19-22 is K060730HD (6rib) and for '23-24 is K080730HD (8rib).

M177ED1 ('21 Ram ETorque) would have the narrower 6rib belt style, not the upgraded wider 8rib that the '23-24s have.

(Take the HD off for the regular Gates belts.)

Rock Auto for the K080730HD shipped by USPS is $51.22

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
It just about confirms that Ram realized the narrow belts were too weak and failing too often and that how we got the 1 1/8" width.

It would help many others to know in what year the change occured.

I plan to carry a spare belt for each in my 24 Laramie, asap.
From looking up the Mopar, Dayco, and Gates belts, there appears to be a different part number for the '23-24s ETorque belt, so it looks like Ram acknowledged the issue and changed the belt width starting in 2023(?).
I missed this PN change (and didn't physically check my own truck), so figured "DT is DT" and bought the wrong K060730HD (6rib) initially, but thanks to your insight (and me looking at my belts), I now have the K080730HD ordered from Rock Auto on the way..Thanks!
My bet is that '23-24 owners won't need them or have an issue, but they are cheap insurance.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From looking up the Mopar, Dayco, and Gates belts, there appears to be a different part number for the '23-24s ETorque belt, so it looks like Ram acknowledged the issue and changed the belt width starting in 2023(?).
I missed this PN change (and didn't physically check my own truck), so figured "DT is DT" and bought the wrong K060730HD (6rib) initially, but thanks to your insight (and me looking at my belts), I now have the K080730HD ordered from Rock Auto on the way..Thanks!
My bet is that '23-24 owners won't need them or have an issue, but they are cheap insurance.
And you’re sure the different belt part numbers aren’t just V6 eTorque vs V8 eTorque? The Mopar part number for my 2019 HEMI eTorque is 5281514AA.

Ready Go

Reaction score
And you’re sure the different belt part numbers aren’t just V6 eTorque vs V8 eTorque? The Mopar part number for my 2019 HEMI eTorque is 5281514AA.
Interesting!
No, I can't verify that unfortunately. There is little to no info on the Mopar belt to compare it to others.
When I searched and ordered the Gates K060730HD, it did show that it fit the '19-22 Ram 5.7 ETorque engine(but how often do sites have wrong info, right!)..I just assumed at the time that like very often, the '23-24 DT would use it also and that the site wasn't updated to those years yet.
The Gates K060730HD and K080730HD belts are basically the same except that they are 6rib and 8rib.
My 5281514AA is an 8rib belt..the one on your '19 must be also(?).

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting!
No, I can't verify that unfortunately. There is little to no info on the Mopar belt to compare it to others.
When I searched and ordered the Gates K060730HD, it did show that it fit the '19-22 Ram 5.7 ETorque engine(but how often do sites have wrong info, right!)..I just assumed at the time that like very often, the '23-24 DT would use it also and that the site wasn't updated to those years yet.
The Gates K060730HD and K080730HD belts are basically the same except that they are 6rib and 8rib.
My 5281514AA is an 8rib belt..the one on your '19 must be also(?).
Yeah…they’ve been 8-rib all along, at least for the V8s. That’s what got me wondering.

barrak

Reaction score
A quick look up Mopar parts store confirms this part number is for 2019-2024 "5.7L V8 - Electric/Gas, 5.7L V8 - Gas."

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought the V6 ET wasn’t belt driven like the hemi.

Ramerk

Reaction score
awaiting arrival next week but in meantime I got this email from RAM. Is it true that every 10k miles they want you to replace the belt?

If that is the case every dealer should have boxes of these things laying around.

Attachments

• IMG_9879.png
    IMG_9879.png
    206 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread