5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Utility Group & Tonneau Covers

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do the rails that are a part of the Bed Utility Group interfere with the install of any tonneau covers? Thanks!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do the rails that are a part of the Bed Utility Group interfere with the install of any tonneau covers? Thanks!
No typically on a lot covers the tonneau cover frame rails slides into the channel on the rails.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No typically on a lot covers the tonneau cover frame rails slides into the channel on the rails.

Thanks...not sure I am following you. I want to put my current Retrax cover into a bed with the Utility Group and want to make sure that the claps that hold down the cover don't interfere with the utility group rails. Sorry for being dense on the subject.

hydrant328

Reaction score
I have the BUG and the MFT. The issue was with the MFT brackets at the front corners of the bed. No issue with the tie down rails. Access original soft roll up cover.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the BUG and the MFT. The issue was with the MFT brackets at the front corners of the bed. No issue with the tie down rails. Access original soft roll up cover.
Thanks, I understand that I need those new brackets to get my cover to work.

hydrant328

Reaction score
Not sure. My truck came with those brackets because of the multi function tailgate. Not the bed utility group. The supposedly are to offset the torque from the swing function of the tailgate doors.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks...not sure I am following you. I want to put my current Retrax cover into a bed with the Utility Group and want to make sure that the claps that hold down the cover don't interfere with the utility group rails. Sorry for being dense on the subject.
Here's a pic., that may help( may not be for your exact cover)

5b956cfdc71662d21d41c6fa3e900440.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure. My truck came with those brackets because of the multi function tailgate. Not the bed utility group. The supposedly are to offset the torque from the swing function of the tailgate doors.
Understood. I just don't know if the rails will interfere with the clamps or the install of the retractable cover box that sits inside the bed.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Try below. Snicklefritz (???) had no issues.

RickWaz

Reaction score
I don't think you'll need these brackets, according to Snicklefritz_76 ...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll need these brackets, according to Snicklefritz_76 ...

First off, I need to give props to the guys at Right On Brackets. I ordered a set of brackets before I had my truck or my tonneau cover which I ended up not needing. I contacted ROB customer support and they let me ship the brackets back for a full refund. Truly excellent customer service. I hope to do business with them in the future.
My bigger question is why did @Snicklefritz_76 think he didn't need them? Those brackets are there for a torsional reason and, if you take them off, you must replace them with something :unsure: Unless he has a Ph.D. in Physics, and ran an analysis showing the RAM engineers were wrong, for $90, I think I'll install them to be safe. Small price to pay IMPO.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Good morning. I have the Retrax 80244 (2020 RAM Limited + BUG + MFT + RAM Boxes) BUT have not yet installed the tonneau cover yet. I'm awaiting some warmer weather here in mid-Michigan ... maybe APR or MAY 2021??? But as I understood @Snicklefritz_76, he did not need to remove any OEM brackets, in order to install the Retrax 60244. I certainly may have been mistaken and will not know myself until I'm slapping my cover on.

Good luck!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good morning. I have the Retrax 80244 (2020 RAM Limited + BUG + MFT + RAM Boxes) BUT have not yet installed the tonneau cover yet. I'm awaiting some warmer weather here in mid-Michigan ... maybe APR or MAY 2021??? But as I understood @Snicklefritz_76, he did not need to remove any OEM brackets, in order to install the Retrax 60244. I certainly may have been mistaken and will not know myself until I'm slapping my cover on.

Good luck!
Maybe those that have RAM BOXES don't need and the rest of us do? If the RAM BOX beds have brackets for the MFT like the non-MFT trucks, you would think they are needed regardless.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
My bigger question is why did @Snicklefritz_76 think he didn't need them? Those brackets are there for a torsional reason and, if you take them off, you must replace them with something :unsure: Unless he has a Ph.D. in Physics, and ran an analysis showing the RAM engineers were wrong, for $90, I think I'll install them to be safe. Small price to pay IMPO.

PhD not required, only common sense. The brackets mentioned per this thread are replacement brackets. I have the RamBox package along with the MFT so my truck did not come with any brackets, hence no brackets to remove and no brackets to replace. Why would adding a tonneau cover require drilling holes and mounting additional brackets?

This is a simple ask/question. Moving forward, if you need clarity on something try asking without being such a d!ck!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
PhD not required, only common sense. The brackets mentioned per this thread are replacement brackets. I have the RamBox package along with the MFT so my truck did not come with any brackets, hence no brackets to remove and no brackets to replace. Why would adding a tonneau cover require drilling holes and mounting additional brackets?

This is a simple ask/question. Moving forward, if you need clarity on something try asking without being such a d!ck!
As I said above, if the trucks with RAM BOXES do NOT have these brackets, as do the trucks without, then you would be correct. Just getting clarification as you never stated, that I read anyway, that RAM BOX trucks with the MFT don't come with support brackets :)

Users who are viewing this thread