5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install?

CoachLarry

Reaction score
So I was able to secure a great deal on a limited last weekend and it had everything I wanted, except for the bed step. I got the dealer to add a bed step and the install to the "we-owe". The truck I bought has the protection group on it, and I recall from the build and price tool it would not let me add the bed step without removing the protection group from the build first. Does anyone have the protection group and the bed step, is it possible? If it is not possible to have both, and since I have no plans to go off-roading, is it possible to remove parts of the protection group so that the step can be installed? TIA

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here .. but they were able to add it last week .. mine is listed for Next week to start its "birthing" :)

Yes, I confirmed .. you can add it afterwards (which is what I was looking into and the new Ram Air once my local dealer can get it)

Keep the protection plan if you leave in a snowy area or even if you live in the desert and wanna go trailing sometime :)

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same here .. but they were able to add it last week .. mine is listed for Next week to start its "birthing" :)

Yes, I confirmed .. you can add it afterwards (which is what I was looking into and the new Ram Air once my local dealer can get it)

Keep the protection plan if you leave in a snowy area or even if you live in the desert and wanna go trailing sometime :)

We need to start a separate Ram Air sighting post lol to keep those of us that want one in the loop.

grimloktt

Reaction score
How are you supposed to put these steps back? Mine slams home...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That’s normal. They go back into place with a bang. You get the hang of easing it back with your foot if it bothers you but it’s a solid piece so it’s not going to be a problem.

CharlieP

Reaction score
That’s normal. They go back into place with a bang. You get the hang of easing it back with your foot if it bothers you but it’s a solid piece so it’s not going to be a problem.
Does anyone know if there is a weight limit on the step for use?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Use your foot on the tab (leather soles don't work well) and push the step forwards (toward front of truck). Once it starts moving that way, you just use your foot to ease it back with no slamming. Takes just a little practice but you'll get to where you can do it every time that you have the right shoes on and it not wet.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I had my dealer throw that in, it was the only option not on the ride. I told him to put the box behind the drivers seat and i'll do the install myself. I put the truck on full off road height, that gave me lots of work room. its a simple install you will need a good heavy duty ratchet set, also I used the upper pipe from a floor jack to slide over the ratchet handle. This gave me the necessary leverage to "break" the two bolts that i needed to remove. I reused these bolts since the quality was so much bigger and robust. They fit like a charm. The entire install was under 30 minutes.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Yes, "mine slams home" too. I don't use it much, however its a great feature to have.
This may help...

(Install)

beekay99

Reaction score
Use your foot on the tab (leather soles don't work well) and push the step forwards (toward front of truck). Once it starts moving that way, you just use your foot to ease it back with no slamming. Takes just a little practice but you'll get to where you can do it every time that you have the right shoes on and it not wet.
Ha, I get it's a truck, but right now the thing slams and it feels like the exhaust tip is going to fall off one day.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha, I get it's a truck, but right now the thing slams and it feels like the exhaust tip is going to fall off one day.

It does have a rubber bumper built into it, but yea, it slams into that rather violently.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
Anyone been able to purchase one of these online? Dealer says there are none in my area (Boston) and availability dates are not listed

Jims380da

Reaction score
How would that step work with the new tailgate option if the barn door was open???

SlipperyPete

Reaction score
Ordered mine from Mopar America a couple weeks ago, no issue with stock. There is another thread with part numbers.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a truck not a Porche -- slam it home :)

... and supposedly 300# limit
......Seems like it cost as much as a Porsche .....lol.....I remember 1974 when you could buy a VW bug, Datsun, or Toyota for under $2,000. Now, loaded pickups are pushing near $100,000....crazy!

Mark313

Reaction score
I ordered mine off of Ebay yesterday and is scheduled to be delivered on Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread