5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

relliK

Reaction score
No issues. I installed this on my RamBox and it fits/works perfectly. Posted about it in the "What did you do to your Ram today" thread.
Can I see this installed with the RamBox?

Lize

Reaction score
Installed the factory bedstep a couple of weeks ago, no contact with the Borla 5 inch tips. I love the step, worth the money. My wrench did slip off the bottom bolt and i slammed my knuckles into the spare tire shield. My finger still hurts, LOL
Thats useful thanks, I'm thinking of getting the bed step (old age - so I forget to lower to entry level and then have a job climbing in :LOL:) and was wondering about exhaust clearance.

RamFan2020

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with the bed step sticking and not able to deploy? Any fixes? Thanks!

Sixxshooter

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with the bed step sticking and not able to deploy? Any fixes? Thanks!

Actually I have just recently noticed that it’s very difficult to close mine back up too . I’m like what the **** ? I’m 6’2 279 LBS and trying like hell to kick it closed . Then all of a sudden BANG it shuts .. I’m gonna try and crawl down there and take a look .

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I don't know where you all live but could you have snow and ice build up under there in the step mechanism?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know where you all live but could you have snow and ice build up under there in the step mechanism?
Anything’s possible, especially when it comes to where ice can form. Still, these things are built like tanks (at least the early versions), and there’s not a lot of open room in the mechanism when retracted, so I’m surprised to hear about these issues. If anything, mine has loosened up over time.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
If you just use your shin and push it, it should close easily. Lesson learned from somewhere on this forum.

rtslab

Reaction score
So I got my Mopar bed Step..i.e., "Step Kit-Side - 82215289AB ", yesterday and mounted it. Took a couple of pictures of the mounting points. Just three bolts hold it on. Attached are the included mounting instructions and a couple of pictures.

In a nutshell:

1. Remove one existing bolt
2. Move the wire bundle (looks to be a groove in the back plate of the step to account for the wires, but I couldn't mount it without moving the wires to the side)
3. Mount the Step with the provided Three 7/8" head bolts (mounting points noted in first pic)

The top rear bolt is mounted in the frame rail, so you have to thread it blind holding the handle welded to the provided nut (see second pic). A bit of a pain, but not too bad.

Fitment is good and doesn't hit or touch anything that I can see.

I like it. I think I will order the Mopar Bed Grab handle to go with it. Wife wants something a little better to pull herself up with. She was a little spoiled with the pull out step and handle in our F150.

Edit: Added a few pics of the installed step
Thanks for sharing! Looks like 2021 RAM 1500 has slightli different layout underneath. Do you know how to disconnect that black electric connector? I took a picture here. There are two bolts pre-installed. But I need to disconnect black hardness first to mount the bed step.

Attachments

• RAM1500_Bedstep_Install.jpg
    RAM1500_Bedstep_Install.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 76
  • RAM1500_Bedstep_Install3.jpg
    RAM1500_Bedstep_Install3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 73
  • RAM1500_Bedstep_Install2.jpg
    RAM1500_Bedstep_Install2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

rtslab

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Looks like 2021 RAM 1500 has slightli different layout underneath. Do you know how to disconnect that black electric connector? I took a picture here. There are two bolts pre-installed. But I need to disconnect black hardness first to mount the bed step.
Figured it out. Push red button and then fold white bracket to unplug the connector.

MF2020

Reaction score
Stand with your left leg next to the driver side rear wheel, then use your left foot to deploy the bed step. It works every time smooth and easy.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
So what’s the newer part number for the bed step? I see online there’s a bunch and I want to order the correct one for my 2021 Rebel. Thanks!

Kicker0927

Reaction score
So I got my Mopar bed Step..i.e., "Step Kit-Side - 82215289AB ", yesterday and mounted it. Took a couple of pictures of the mounting points. Just three bolts hold it on. Attached are the included mounting instructions and a couple of pictures.

In a nutshell:

1. Remove one existing bolt
2. Move the wire bundle (looks to be a groove in the back plate of the step to account for the wires, but I couldn't mount it without moving the wires to the side)
3. Mount the Step with the provided Three 7/8" head bolts (mounting points noted in first pic)

The top rear bolt is mounted in the frame rail, so you have to thread it blind holding the handle welded to the provided nut (see second pic). A bit of a pain, but not too bad.

Fitment is good and doesn't hit or touch anything that I can see.

I like it. I think I will order the Mopar Bed Grab handle to go with it. Wife wants something a little better to pull herself up with. She was a little spoiled with the pull out step and handle in our F150.

Edit: Added a few pics of the installed step
Quick question…does the installation require a torque wrench? I don’t own one and have no need for one. Was hoping to do the install using a good old socket wrench. Would that work?

BlueMoose

Reaction score
Quick question…does the installation require a torque wrench? I don’t own one and have no need for one. Was hoping to do the install using a good old socket wrench. Would that work?
You're supposed to torque the frame bolts to 124 foot pounds. I picked up a click-type torque wrench for $20 at Harbor Freight for the install.

dbark

Reaction score
It's never "required" but can be a good idea. You should be able to borrow one from Autozone or whatever auto parts store you have.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My experience from the supine position under the truck is it does take a pretty good amount of exertion to get the proper torque. If you opt to do it without the torque don't be afraid to crank down on the bolts/nuts. Your lug nuts are supposed to be torqued to 130 ft./lbs. Having a torque wrench around to properly torque the lug nuts is not a bad idea. I doubt any tire shop/dealer is putting the proper torque and if they are it is a lucky shot.
If they are over torqued you may find yourself in a bad predicament trying to get the wheel off in an emergency.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah mine taps it when I retract it. I just let it back slower with my hand.

Mine's a good solid CLAAAAANGGGGGGG when I close it.

The shop who (installed it for me after I tried and failed so badly to do so) put it on, basically sat there like,
"We can't believe we did this, but we did. The magnaflow has one big pipe!"

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine's a good solid CLAAAAANGGGGGGG when I close it.

The shop who (installed it for me after I tried and failed so badly to do so) put it on, basically sat there like,
"We can't believe we did this, but we did. The magnaflow has one big pipe!"
Mine slaps it hard if I just kick it back in. I was worried that if I keep letting it do that then it will bend my tip out of alignment or something over time. That’s why I just let it back in softly instead.

Kicker0927

Reaction score
I just had the MOPAR 82215289AH installed and as long as you put the small bolt in first, followed by the two reused bolts up top...it easily clears the exhaust, even with the hardest kick closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online