5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting Kit

macallien

Reaction score
Thank a million. Are u using the on/off switch or did u tap on a source that turns on with the rest of the bed lights?

kingkasc

Reaction score
Hey guys! im looking to add a red color bed light for "looks" anyone recommend a brand that has bright bulbs and wont burnout fast? Thanks

Pshep

Reaction score
Guys, I did my led light install yesterday and everything worked perfectly. I did use a fish tape and run the wire through the frame inside a plastic cover like the factory harness.

One question I have though; as I was putting back on my tail light I noticed the white wire with the tan lead in my tail light. Has anyone tried using this wire in this location for power instead of going into the cab?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Guys, I did my led light install yesterday and everything worked perfectly. I did use a fish tape and run the wire through the frame inside a plastic cover like the factory harness.

One question I have though; as I was putting back on my tail light I noticed the white wire with the tan lead in my tail light. Has anyone tried using this wire in this location for power instead of going into the cab?
That wire isn't in the same circuit as the bed lights. I used that same wire for my headache rack lights, if I remember correctly it was for either the marker lights or reverse lights.

gpantaleon

Reaction score
Thank a million. Are u using the on/off switch or did u tap on a source that turns on with the rest of the bed lights?

The white/tan light located inside the cab is for the cargo lights, which turns on when you open the tailgate. With the kit that I bought, you have the option to turn it off/on which is pretty cool. So you can leave it on and it’ll turn on every time you open the tailgate or shut it off and it’ll only turn on when you press that button. I placed my switch underneath one of the rails of my tonneau cover so it’s hidden.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Install went great. I took some extra pictures of where I ran the wire and installing a t-tap. I’m having an issue though. I installed an 8-pod led kit. Looks awesome but after a minute or so it acts like the computer shuts it down. The cargo light, an bed light turn off, then flash on briefly three times. Then they won’t respond to opening doors until I shut the truck off and start it again. I’m wondering if it it’s drawing too much power? Seems unlikely as they are just leds but I seem to recall guys talking about the computer acting strange on cargo lamp bulb swaps. Anyone have any ideas?

kingkasc

Reaction score
Install went great. I took some extra pictures of where I ran the wire and installing a t-tap. I’m having an issue though. I installed an 8-pod led kit. Looks awesome but after a minute or so it acts like the computer shuts it down. The cargo light, an bed light turn off, then flash on briefly three times. Then they won’t respond to opening doors until I shut the truck off and start it again. I’m wondering if it it’s drawing too much power? Seems unlikely as they are just leds but I seem to recall guys talking about the computer acting strange on cargo lamp bulb swaps. Anyone have any ideas?
Have a pic with it on?

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
What is the total watts of the lights combined?
Did you replace the rear bulb with a LED?
Getting ready to do mine and have not purchased any lights yet and I may get the lower wattage ones

ajosephngs

Reaction score
What is the total watts of the lights combined?
Did you replace the rear bulb with a LED?
Getting ready to do mine and have not purchased any lights yet and I may get the lower wattage ones
I don’t know what the stock cargo lights use but there are 8 led pods, 6 diodes per panel, each diode is supposed to draw about .18 watts... so .18x6x8 is 8.64 watts. I’m wondering if it’s a can bus issue. I’m going to swap the incandescent cargo lamps. They draw more than the whole led array. I may also clip the 4th pod off each string if that doesn’t fix it.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Swapping to led cargo lamps should cut their draw by 15 watts.
Swapped the cargo lights with led bulbs and it resolved the issue. I’m also going to upload some more pictures of the install for those who had questions about installing theirs.

ajosephngs

Reaction score
When removing the trim a flat head screwdriver pressed on the white tabs might prevent you from breaking the tab I broke. Once the outer trim is removed you have to pull the plastic house in up and toward you to reveal the harness. Cut the zip tie off the harness and locate the white wire with tan stripe. 4E58B5E7-36C5-4F29-8376-8F7C30C8945F.jpeg 3F4B8DF5-EBEB-40A6-BA92-85926DAEAF69.jpeg FD22E31F-B815-4140-AD9A-E930E3493C07.jpeg 76C58AF0-19C3-4A7D-9C1D-276367243EC3.jpeg

ajosephngs

Reaction score
My kit was already wired at the lights so I had to run my wires from the bed back. I installed two 4-light strands. I used the gap right under the bed rail near the cab. Ran straight down to the frame and to the cab. There are two plastic covers under the rear seats on both sides of the truck. I chose to run my wires to the cab independently on the drivers and passenger sides to avoid having to run wires around the exhaust. I used a fish tape to run the wire from the rear passenger side, under the carpet to the rear drivers side. There I drilled a self taping screw for the ground and installed a t-tap on the hot wire for the cargo light. I didnt get a photo after I zip tied and cleaned it up. F2BD11E2-917F-46D3-8C1D-7D77D0B0A011.jpeg 811B99F2-EE1D-47AA-889C-F3E6D685DA4C.jpeg C52B9929-E5B9-444E-8106-8B743841660A.jpeg 3E384C7E-93DD-4A39-9DE6-893B272118F3.jpeg 59A44C30-3E36-4358-BFDC-D4D03AF064C2.jpeg EC29E89F-E672-4E71-ADA0-84F0496E9E44.jpeg 68198F3B-C421-4437-AC36-34434043769C.jpeg E211AA65-7D45-49A8-9891-C6267EF0472B.jpeg

Reactions: c3k

hawki8624

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
How do you get the secondary cover off the wires once you remove the top sill plate?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
My access limited cover came with a battery powered LED.. Once I get it installed (needs to be over 60 degrees) I will let you know how it is, but after having the bed sprayed, I like not having to get into the wiring, do not know how long the batteries will last... and they turn off after 3 mins...

Mikegrdn78

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
Thank you for this post.... I’m a new member here. Today I just installed aftermarket bed lights following your wiring information.

Super easy install. Just wanted to say thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread