5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting Kit

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love it, great post @jordan2929 .

Any recommendations for the lights themselves and/or replacement led bulbs? I see strip lights that can be stuck on but nothing that looks stock or sleek except the spendy mopar kit (requiring the truck fla$h :confused:).

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Love it, great post @jordan2929 .

Any recommendations for the lights themselves and/or replacement led bulbs? I see strip lights that can be stuck on but nothing that looks stock or sleek except the spendy mopar kit (requiring the truck fla$h :confused:).
So the most time consuming part is the wiring and once that’s done Literally any kind of led light can be hooked up to it. I personally think the strip lighting would look very nice as long as you get a decent brand, otherwise you might have one or two diodes go out leaving a dark spot. And if you keep the strip lighting under the rails near that inner lip you would never be able to see the physical light, making it unnoticeable until they’re on. Honestly whatever you decide to use will look good, I’ve had plenty of people say how cool it is.

SS2112

Reaction score
Thanks for the info @jordan2929. That's awesome! I went battery-powered, but will definitely use your instructions for a more permanent install.

Luisgad

Reaction score
Thanks so much, I installed mine in a Laramie and works great, I also installed a switch on the original cover (light).
I bought a separate switch waterproof, work when the tail light is on and also when I open the tailgate .
The switch allow me to on/off the light when I want it.

Sooliman

Reaction score
I took your advice and did the same. I hated not being able to see with the tonneau cover on.
Where did you guys get the strip lighting and what length? This is an awesome and pretty simple mod!

tonyplants

Reaction score
Where did you guys get the strip lighting and what length? This is an awesome and pretty simple mod!
I've got the Mictuning rock lights on my Honda Pioneer SxS, which I've been happy with. I'm following Jordan's lead, so I picked up these from Amazon. Received them, just too cold in Michigan for install. The switch does have a hole in the opposite side of wire housing-I will just liquid tape it or fill it with silicone.

MICTUNING 2Pcs 60" White LED https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUE9OLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2qg-Bb3498KXS

Last edited:

tonyplants

Reaction score
Here's some pics I took yesterday during install. The grey plug is an arm's length from rear passenger side, just behind storage box. Drill a small hole slightly less than diameter of wire, feed a bunch up, so you have it to grab and pull from under carpet. Splice it and pull excess back out underneath truck.

Remove both tail lights (two T-25's on each side with two plastic trim push pin panel fasteners). When removing the plastic fasteners, pry the top push pin nearly all way out first (I used "forked" trim piece removal tool from Harbor Freight-see pic) and then place tool underneath plug and it should easily pull out. They is a correct position on these pins, look closely, one side is round, the other has a square lip-insert correctly by first placing the three prong piece in, then the pin.

Run LED leads down stakes through oval hole in rear of bed (can't see it, but it's near rear side top rear corners). Passenger side will be too short to run back to switch /+/- pigtail, just run the drivers side down and connect both leads where they meet (about 3/4 of the way to drivers side). I also heat shrunk the two connectors after twisting them shut. The fuse and +/-butt splices will end up in drivers side tail light housing, zip tie all excess wire and run switch out from same hole and wire tie it secure.

Unfortunately, my cargo lights started blinking, and didn't function correctly, so I pulled everything out (thought I was going to have dealer fix the cargo light issue) and am now running from battery and ground under hood and will end up using the switch on the mictuning lights when needed. Be careful pulling the two trim pieces, I ended up breaking two clips, epoxied them back, and threw on double sided tape to ensure position and prevent noise.-see brokeramtrim pic.

Good luck with "factory" install-if you have any tips why the lights went haywire on me, let me know.

Attachments

• wireleadram.jpg
    wireleadram.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 858
  • ramledplug.jpg
    ramledplug.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 853
  • brokeramtrim.jpg
    brokeramtrim.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 834
  • trim removal.jpg
    trim removal.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Here's some pics I took yesterday during install. The grey plug is an arm's length from rear passenger side, just behind storage box. Drill a small hole slightly less than diameter of wire, feed a bunch up, so you have it to grab and pull from under carpet. Splice it and pull excess back out underneath truck.

Remove both tail lights (two T-25's on each side with two plastic trim push pin panel fasteners). When removing the plastic fasteners, pry the top push pin nearly all way out first (I used "forked" trim piece removal tool from Harbor Freight-see pic) and then place tool underneath plug and it should easily pull out.

Run LED leads down stakes through square hole in rear of bed (can't see it, but it's near rear side top rear corners). Passenger side will be too short to run back to switch /+/- pigtail, just run the drivers side down and connect both leads where they meet (about 3/4 of the way to drivers side). I also heat shrunk the two connectors after twisting them shut. The fuse and +/-butt splices will end up in drivers side tail light housing, zip tie all excess wire and run switch out from same hole and wire tie it secure.

Unfortunately, my cargo lights started blinking, and didn't function correctly, so I pulled everything out (thought I was going to have dealer fix the cargo light issue) and am now running from battery and ground under hood and will end up using the switch on the mictuning lights when needed. Be careful pulling the two trim pieces, I ended up breaking two clips, epoxied them back, and threw on double sided tape to ensure position and prevent noise.-see brokeramtrim pic.

Good luck with "factory" install-if you have any tips why the lights went haywire on me, let me know.
Couple questions, where did you ground the led strips? And have you changed your roof mounted cargo light to an led? If you still have a incandescent bulb (factory equipped) than it may be drawing more power than the computer will allow, causing it to act up.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Couple questions, where did you ground the led strips? And have you changed your roof mounted cargo light to an led? If you still have a incandescent bulb (factory equipped) than it may be drawing more power than the computer will allow, causing it to act up.
I just ordered the 921 LED bulbs today after I finished the direct battery/plunger switch install. I left enough wire to do the factory install and used bullet connectors at the switch. Winter has arrived in MI and will probably do the factory install next year, unless I leave the light on and discover a dead battery-lol. Thanks Jordan.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Here's where I had the ground in the rear-just behind to the side of spare on drivers side.

Attachments

• Rear Ground.jpg
    Rear Ground.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 602

tonyplants

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the direct to battery install. The LED strip is exact length of bed rails. Tips:
1. 1/4" wire loom from Harbor Freight 2-14' sections $7, wrap + and ground before install
2. Ground under hood drivers side, just behind battery - see pic
3. Run loom along frame to rear, up drivers side stake.
4. Don't leave light on, you'll be mad at yourself for not doing the "factory" install.

Attachments

• tail light stake.jpg
    tail light stake.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 646
  • lights installed checking connection2.jpg
    lights installed checking connection2.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 637
  • lights installed-checking connections.jpg
    lights installed-checking connections.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 642
  • LEDs installed inside on LineX.jpg
    LEDs installed inside on LineX.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 639
  • Oval hole in upper rea corner.jpg
    Oval hole in upper rea corner.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 632
  • tail light plungers.jpg
    tail light plungers.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 595
  • push pin.jpg
    push pin.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 586
  • remove push pin2.jpg
    remove push pin2.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 585
  • remove push pin.jpg
    remove push pin.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 574
  • light switch with hole-insert RTV or gasket maker.jpg
    light switch with hole-insert RTV or gasket maker.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 600

tonyplants

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the direct to battery install. Tips:
1. 1/4" wire loom from Harbor Freight 2-14' sections $7, wrap + and ground before install
2. Ground under hood drivers side, just behind battery - see pic
3. Run loom along frame to rear, up drivers side stake.
4. Don't leave light on, you'll be mad at yourself for not doing the "factory" install.

Attachments

• mictuning lights.jpg
    mictuning lights.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Hood Battery Ground.jpg
    Hood Battery Ground.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 385

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Here's where I had the ground in the rear-just behind to the side of spare on drivers side.
If I were to guess it was just drawing too much power, you used a good chassis ground so that wasn't the problem. Your setup looks awesome and if your still wanting the lights to come on automatically you could just add a relay to your setup. It'd be easy to do since you have all the wires ran already, the only thing you'd need is to splice back into the white and tan wire under the sill plate and run that up to the relay under the hood so it knows when to turn on. I dont imagine it would take more than half an hour to add if you're familliar with relays. BTW, the strip lights look much nicer than my pod setup, may have to swap them out after seeing yours lol

tonyplants

Reaction score
If I were to guess it was just drawing too much power, you used a good chassis ground so that wasn't the problem. Your setup looks awesome and if your still wanting the lights to come on automatically you could just add a relay to your setup. It'd be easy to do since you have all the wires ran already, the only thing you'd need is to splice back into the white and tan wire under the sill plate and run that up to the relay under the hood so it knows when to turn on. I dont imagine it would take more than half an hour to add if you're familliar with relays. BTW, the strip lights look much nicer than my pod setup, may have to swap them out after seeing yours lol
Any idea where I'd get the relay? Here's the lights in action.

Attachments

• 20181125_194008.jpg
    20181125_194008.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 503

Jordan2929

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Autom...1543195963&sr=8-6&keywords=relay+with+harness
They're hard to find in single packs on amazon, but this one is 5 relays for $11 and it comes with leads preinstalled, you would just use heat shrink butt connectors. The way you'd wire this relay is:

Red- battery positive
Black- battery negative
Yellow- bed light positive
Blue- white and tan wire under the driver side sill plate (this is what activates the relay)
White- you wouldn't use this wire in this application

Chavo915

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
Mine did not come with the ligthing package, I bougth the original ligths since the holes were already there. Took my truck to the dealer and after the charge me way to much to install them, at the end they told me my truck wasnt wired for it. Now Im stuck with the original ligths and a bill from dealer. Could I hook the wires to the white and tan?

Chavo915

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854

cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20. View attachment 4851 View attachment 4852 View attachment 4853 View attachment 4854
Could I hook the original ligths to the white and tan, My truck did not came with the utility

JayRam19

Reaction score
Look under your truck there are multiple plastic covers to allow access to pass wires from the cabin to the outside.
Would these accesss be able to fit a CB antenna fitting through?

Users who are viewing this thread