5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 4" vs. Rough Country 5" for 2020 Air Suspension

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know that the thread has been cold for a month but I was wondering if anyone with thee RC lift can share their driving experience. From what I gather, it is a bit rough when compared to the BDS. I have a 2020 Longhorn with air suspension and I am looking at 22x10 wheels with 35” tires. Most likely will go with the Fuel Blitz and ridge grapplers. Thanks!
Don’t know how the RC compares to the BDS but I can tell you mine rides like it did stock, maybe just a little rougher but not enough to tell a difference if you rode in one stock vs lifted in a blindfold test. Tires will make the biggest difference since the airbags are going to soften the ride. I took a chance on Milestar Patagonia MT and so far I’m really happy. Have about 3k miles on them and they have minimal road noise and smooth ride.

MK81

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the BDS lift with the 20x10 wheels. The shop quoted about 3-4 weeks for shipping the kit. I’ll post pics of the semi-final product after the lift is installed. I am definitely going to have some fun with modifying this truck!

Kwicher

Reaction score
For an update on 2020 models:

I contacted BDS to check on the 4" lift with air ride suspension and compatibility with the 2020 models. This is their response to me:

"Thank you for choosing BDS Suspension. The kits will be a bit different for the 2020 and this kit should be released very soon. When we release the kit we will update our website and post it on our social network pages. Please let me know if you have any more questions."

I am not sure exactly what they are changing but they are making changes. Sounds like they will have a kit that fits the 2020 models with air ride "very soon", whenever that may be.

Last edited:

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
So, are they changing the kits to improve them, or because something changed on the truck between 19 and 20?
To answer the earlier question, mine (rough country) rides pretty near stock. I agree that the biggest factor was the tires. I could also see the shocks having some impact of ride quality between the brands.
It would be great to hear from an installer that has done both what their thoughts are.
Personally, I just couldn't justify spending $1000 more for an inch less lift.

kgurtsak

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited and did some research on this. I asked a local installer if we could put the 2019 BDS in my 2020 and he spoke directly to his BDS about this and was told there was a difference, and the warranty wouldn't be covered if anything happened. Similar to what Kwicher mentioned.

I am leaning to the RC 5" after seeing the $1k price difference anyway compared to BDS. I know BDS may be a better quality for off roaders but for me, who lives in Delaware and the most off roading I will do will be going on the beach surf fishing I think RC would be fine. I'm mostly doing this for the look and stance of the truck anyhow. I rarely even use 4WD with the mild winters.

If I was anyone with a 2020 and wanted the BDS I would just recommend waiting a couple months at most.

MK81

Reaction score
Very interesting. I found a video posted by BDS installing the kit on a 2020. A local shop mentioned that the 20’s will probably get the ability to upgrade to Fox shocks later down the line. Here is the link:

Kwicher

Reaction score
Very interesting. I found a video posted by BDS installing the kit on a 2020. A local shop mentioned that the 20’s will probably get the ability to upgrade to Fox shocks later down the line. Here is the link:
Very interesting indeed. They did not directly answer my question regarding compatibility and with this video it makes me wonder what changes they are actually making. If it is just the option for Fox shocks, I feel that they should state that the kit does fit the 2020's and eliminate the confusion. If the kit is not compatible it would be nice if they would just say so and give us a reason as well.

On another note, does anyone know how much of a quality difference there is supposed to be between BDS and Rough Country? A $1000 difference is significant to ask for for a 4" kit over a 5" kit.

MK81

Reaction score
r
Very interesting indeed. They did not directly answer my question regarding compatibility and with this video it makes me wonder what changes they are actually making. If it is just the option for Fox shocks, I feel that they should state that the kit does fit the 2020's and eliminate the confusion. If the kit is not compatible it would be nice if they would just say so and give us a reason as well.

On another note, does anyone know how much of a quality difference there is supposed to be between BDS and Rough Country? A $1000 difference is significant to ask for for a 4" kit over a 5" kit.
I got the same thing from BDS. One of the local shops here (O’ahu) installed the kit on several 2020s and had no issues. They mentioned that there was an issue with bottoming out due to the air lines getting damaged. They stated that they have to move the air lines to prevent this from happening which prevents the issue. I believe that I saw this on the video that I posted as well.

MK81

Reaction score
So here is an update from BDS. They made some modifications to the cross members to make it compatible with the 2020s. Apparently there is additional drilling needed to make the 2019 kit fit in the 20s. The video that was posted was them testing the new kit which they are assembling for purchase. No fine print warranty is still valid but it will be difficult to diagnose any issues, if any, due to additional modifications to their kits for fitment.

G unit

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited w/ Air Suspension and I'm looking to put the BDS 4" lift on it with 35x12.50 on 22x10s. However, this is where the problem starts...

1) The installer, RCA Performance, called me saying that the 2019 BDS kit won't work on the 2020. So I called BDS and they confirmed that is true because there was a frame change on the 2020s and they don't have a 2020 kit yet. This is weird because I go on to YouTube and see several videos of people claiming to have installed this kit on the 2020s with no issues.
2) Rough Country's kit is my second option and back up plan. Their kit claims to work on 2019s and 2020s which I see may be true based on the YouTube videos out there.

So is BDS wrong and their 2019 kit will actually work on 2020s or is RC wrong and their kit will actually only work on 2019s? I'm curious to see if there is anybody out there who can confirm they have installed the BDS 4" w/air ride on a 2020. We all know it's made for the 2019.

Lastly, give me your thoughts on which one you would go with and why regardless of the questions I've outlined above.
Look at the Carli suspensio. Go to CBC off-road website. Carli is awesome stuff

Kwicher

Reaction score
I spoke to an installer today. Full disclosure, he is a long-term BDS dealer/installer. I asked him about BDS vs RC and he said he had absolutely no interest in installing RC due to quality issues. I asked him exactly what issues arise and he basically told me that he doesn't trust RC because the parts are manufactured in China and thus do not have strict specs like American made parts (i.e. BDS) do. Says he has seen too many kits break over the years with RC and that he has taken more kits off of vehicles than he has installed them. In addition, he showed me the warranty that BDS supplies which covers anything under the sun including use, abuse, poor installation, etc.

I looked at the RC website and their warranty states "Rough Country Suspension Systems offers a Lifetime Replacement Warranty on most suspension products. All products are warranted to be free from defects in material and craftsmanship for the life of the vehicle if utilized in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions for installation and operation of said products. *We'll replace your defective item at no cost to you!" (sourcehttps://www.roughcountry.com/warranty)

From what I gather, RC has a lifetime warranty on defective parts only. When compared to the BDS warranty it seems sub-par, however I am not sure if it is honestly worth the significant price difference between the 2.

I took what the dealer had to say with a bit of a grain of salt due to the fact that he is a BDS dealer, however I would love to get your guys' opinions as well, specifically regarding the quality of the different brands.

Last edited:

kgurtsak

Reaction score
I spoke to an installer today. Full disclosure, he is a long-term BDS dealer/installer. I asked him about BDS vs RC and he said he had absolutely no interest in installing RC due to quality issues. I asked him exactly what issues arise and he basically told me that he doesn't trust RC because the parts are manufactured in China and thus do not have strict specs like American made parts (i.e. BDS) do. Says he has seen too many kits break over the years with RC and that he has taken more kits off of vehicles than he has installed them. In addition, he showed me the warranty that BDS supplies which covers anything under the sun including use, abuse, poor installation, etc.

I looked at the RC website and their warranty states "Rough Country Suspension Systems offers a Lifetime Replacement Warranty on most suspension products. All products are warranted to be free from defects in material and craftsmanship for the life of the vehicle if utilized in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions for installation and operation of said products. *We'll replace your defective item at no cost to you!" (sourcehttps://www.roughcountry.com/warranty)

From what I gather, RC has a lifetime warranty on defective parts only. When compared to the BDS warranty it seems sub-par, however I am not sure if it is honestly worth the significant price difference between the 2.

I took what the dealer had to say with a bit of a grain of salt due to the fact that he is a BDS dealer, however I would love to get your guys' opinions as well, specifically regarding the quality of the different brands.
I know there is history of what you mentioned about RC. I am flip flopping so much on what I want to do I feel like a politician. All good conversations and viewpoints from the group.

Kwicher

Reaction score
After more research, Rough Country does not outsource all of their parts. They manufacture most of their stuff in Dyersburg, Tenesee. Wondering where all of the misinformation regarding their parts not being American made has been coming from.

MK81

Reaction score
I know there is history of what you mentioned about RC. I am flip flopping so much on what I want to do I feel like a politician. All good conversations and viewpoints from the group.
I felt the same way. Spent some time watching YouTube videos on both lifts. I found that the custom offsets videos to be informative.

Kwicher

Reaction score
FYI: BDS finally released a kit for the 2020 Ram 1500 with air suspension. They have also added multiple kits for the 2020 Rebels.

I ended up getting the Rough Country 5" lift as I did not know when the BDS kit was going to release. From the research I have done, I saw no significant issues with the RC kits and decided that, for me, the RC was a good option as I do not need the best/ most durable kit as I do not do much off-roading.

She's currently in the shop getting it installed. I'll keep you guys updated and post pics when I get her back.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
9200 miles in on my RC 5” lift and absolutely zero complaints or issues. I will say that I have the EcoDiesel and used the 22” wheels in the black Appearance package. I just installed 2” spacers and this causes rub. A 22x10 rim may be safe but wanted to mention this for the OP. No rub in OR2. Slight rub on hard turn in OR1. Rub in Normal or below. I have a limited and diesel totally loaded so probably the lowest payload if that contributes at all, and for what it’s worth.

MK81

Reaction score
FYI: BDS finally released a kit for the 2020 Ram 1500 with air suspension. They have also added multiple kits for the 2020 Rebels.

I ended up getting the Rough Country 5" lift as I did not know when the BDS kit was going to release. From the research I have done, I saw no significant issues with the RC kits and decided that, for me, the RC was a good option as I do not need the best/ most durable kit as I do not do much off-roading.

She's currently in the shop getting it installed. I'll keep you guys updated and post pics when I get

She's currently in the shop getting it installed. I'll keep you guys updated and post pics when I get her back.
Awesome. Can’t wait to see the lifted ride.

MK81

Reaction score
9200 miles in on my RC 5” lift and absolutely zero complaints or issues. I will say that I have the EcoDiesel and used the 22” wheels in the black Appearance package. I just installed 2” spacers and this causes rub. A 22x10 rim may be safe but wanted to mention this for the OP. No rub in OR2. Slight rub on hard turn in OR1. Rub in Normal or below. I have a limited and diesel totally loaded so probably the lowest payload if that contributes at all, and for what it’s worth.
Great info. I debated about getting 22x10 wheels but ended up going with 20x10s with 35” tires. Waiting for kit to come in for install. Pics to come (hopefully) soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online