5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BDS 4” lift kit vs Stock ride. How do they compare.

joey1196

Reaction score
Looking at getting a 4” BDS with 35” nitto’s and fuel 20X10 -18 tires. Anybody have any comments on ride quality Offroad and paved roads? Anything that you noticed or didn’t like?
Thanks!

tobyw

Reaction score
The ride quality change will be more related to the tires you choose versus the suspension lift. The heavier/stiffer carcass on the tires will simply transmit more road harshness than the 'C' load range OEM tires, particularly with a 20" wheel. I'm very happy with the ride quality of the BDS 4" overall.

joey1196

Reaction score
The ride quality change will be more related to the tires you choose versus the suspension lift. The heavier/stiffer carcass on the tires will simply transmit more road harshness than the 'C' load range OEM tires, particularly with a 20" wheel. I'm very happy with the ride quality of the BDS 4" overall.
Have you had any problems with it? I’ve heard nitto’s hybrid tires ride pretty smoothly. I’m kinda debating on 4” vs 6”. It’s too hard to decide.

tobyw

Reaction score
Haven't had any problems whatsoever. Lift height is a personal preference thing, I'm pretty happy with how the 4" turned out in my case.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haven't had any problems whatsoever. Lift height is a personal preference thing, I'm pretty happy with how the 4" turned out in my case.
Did you rock the coilovers or just go with their std 4in lift? I'm running the 3.5in Readylift and am looking to pull the trigger soon on the BDS std 4in lift. Its around 4K installed- I don't think I need the coilovers and would like to save the additional $$. I'm sure the ride will be far superior than the Readylift.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Clue me in please what all are the benefits behind the coilovers ? :)

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Did you rock the coilovers or just go with their std 4in lift? I'm running the 3.5in Readylift and am looking to pull the trigger soon on the BDS std 4in lift. Its around 4K installed- I don't think I need the coilovers and would like to save the additional $$. I'm sure the ride will be far superior than the Readylift.
Pretty sure they don't make a 4" coilover kit yet. That option is only available for the 6" kit.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
^^^. Clue me in please what all are the benefits behind the coilovers ? :)
On the 6" BDS kit the lift in the front comes from top mounted steel fabricated strut spacers along with preload spacers. So, you could imagine this stiffens up the ride a bit. The coilovers remove the spacers all together.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the 6" BDS kit the lift in the front comes from top mounted steel fabricated strut spacers along with preload spacers. So, you could imagine this stiffens up the ride a bit. The coilovers remove the spacers all together.
So is the BDS 4in lift front suspension going to be comparable to the 3.5in Readylift ride?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
So is the BDS 4in lift front suspension going to be comparable to the 3.5in Readylift ride?
The 4" BDS should ride better as it is only using a top mount strut spacer, no preload spacer. The BDS also comes with the needed drop brackets to correct the suspension geometry that the Readylift kit does not. So, technically the BDS lift will not wear out the factory components like the Readylift will.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
is that an option, if i get the 4” lift, I can add the coilovers after they are released?
If BDS does release 4" coilovers, then yes. You would just be replacing the factory strut assembly and BDS spacers with the coilovers. Plus a new alignment.

tobyw

Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind regarding top hat spacers versus replacement struts - if your truck is equipped with the factory 1" lift (ORP, North, Rebel, etc), you will likely see a slight decrease in lift height if you swap out the struts down the road, as the aftermarket struts are X" lift for a "normal" truck. Top hat spacers don't care what they sit on, they give a true X" over whatever is already there. Now with that said, BDS favors FOX coilovers and they are typically adjustable, so you should be able to dial in your desired ride height without issue but it will take some tweaking.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the truck height is with 35's on the 4in and 6in BDS lifts...Im sure the 6in is +2 but you never know with these applications...want to roll with the 6in but want to check parking garage and car wash heights before I pull the trigger :)

Users who are viewing this thread