5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad lifters, will they cover it under warranty if I changed my own oil?

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been changing my own oil since covid and I have spreadsheets with every service done, even dealer service, along with the receipts and copies of the receipts. I'm not too fond of the carbon print paper, it seems to fade so that's one of the reasons I make copies.

Oil weight will always have many different opinions on what is best, in the end, if the manufacturer specifies a specific weight and you want to use the factory warranty you should be using only the specified weight. Otherwise, do what you feel will be the best, many have been running thicker oils without issue. My dads 2004 5.7 has been using 5w30 all these years without issue. The truck does have many issues at this point, but the engine runs great.

John Galt

Reaction score
If you want to create a monster thread on ANY car forum just start a thread called “what’s the best oil to use in my vehicle”….you can come back in a few years, long after that vehicle is out of production and the thread will still be active.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
He had another thread about the steering rack issues. I don't think the actual complaint was ever documented on the paperwork as he only mentioned it while it was in for regular service oil change.
In this thread, he didn't state he mentioned it while getting oil changes, as a matter of fact he said he did his own. He did say he complained more than once, while under warranty. I assumed it was written up for it.

Slimmons

Reaction score
The dealership verified that they had in their notes that I complained about the rack and pinion twice while under warranty (not for oil change, I never get my oil changed at a dealership). RAM was notified that I complained about it twice, and RAM refused to repair the issue under warranty. I spent too much time on it. All I can do is move on, and never buy another RAM. Once again, not trashing the brand, this has just been my experience so far, that RAM does not come with a warranty (for me, apparently).

Slimmons

Reaction score
I'm sure @RamCares can verify in their ticketing system, that I had a part that was bad from the factory, it was documented by a dealership, and they refused to cover it. But, I had a ton of calls with them, where this was covered, and I was basically told that I can accept partial coverage, or no coverage.

Slimmons

Reaction score
That's not really what this thread was about though. I don't want to waste any more time on RAM or ramcares. I was just wondering if my garbage 5.7 engine that is dying at 40k miles is going to be similar to my garbage rack and pinion that died at 1 mile, and not be covered by warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dealership verified that they had in their notes that I complained about the rack and pinion twice while under warranty (not for oil change, I never get my oil changed at a dealership). RAM was notified that I complained about it twice, and RAM refused to repair the issue under warranty. I spent too much time on it. All I can do is move on, and never buy another RAM. Once again, not trashing the brand, this has just been my experience so far, that RAM does not come with a warranty (for me, apparently).
Must have confused you with another member with similar story about steering rack. My mistake

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's not really what this thread was about though. I don't want to waste any more time on RAM or ramcares. I was just wondering if my garbage 5.7 engine that is dying at 40k miles is going to be similar to my garbage rack and pinion that died at 1 mile, and not be covered by warranty.
Hey there,

We understand that you may not be looking for assistance from us, however if you would like us to look into this for you, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread