5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

runamuck

Reaction score
we did 3400 miles in mid september from ft. worth to axtec/durango, moab, salt lake city, jackson hole/yellowstone, sheridan and back down I-25/287 to home. got as much as 21.6 between yellowstone to cody and thru the big horn mountains to sheridan. hit high winds from amarillo to wichita falls which knocked total trip average to 18.5 but I set cruise on 78 most of the way and feel like that mileage is plenty fine for a truck like this.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
we did 3400 miles in mid september from ft. worth to axtec/durango, moab, salt lake city, jackson hole/yellowstone, sheridan and back down I-25/287 to home. got as much as 21.6 between yellowstone to cody and thru the big horn mountains to sheridan. hit high winds from amarillo to wichita falls which knocked total trip average to 18.5 but I set cruise on 78 most of the way and feel like that mileage is plenty fine for a truck like this.
The mileage beats my 2000 Ranger 4 ltr and there is no comparison to the ride comfort and performance. Even 75 MPH returns 19+ hand calculated. The on board calculation is about 2 MPG off on the high side, but I have no complaints, best truck I've ever owned!

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I went on a road trip to the mountains last week. Filled the tank with 87 right before we left. There was a lot of up hill driving and a lot of coasting. By the time I got back to town and in my driveway the computer said I averaged 21.5 mpg. I think 60-70 mph (max speeds on this trip) is the sweet spot if you have 3.92. I just got my first oil change at a little over 3k miles, went full synthetic and I'm seeing about 2 mpg better. After some driving to work in traffic I'm down to 19.3 mpg on this tank. I'll hand calculate for sure but I think it's pretty close considering I'll get to 600 miles on this tank.
Update
I finished this tank with 580 miles. Computer said 19.1 mpg, hand calculated it was 18.99 mpg. That's a big deal for me as my best tank ever had been 16.7 and most were in the 13's. I filled up yesterday and did some freeway driving (half open, half traffic) and city driving and my computer is between 19 and 20 mpg. Eco mode is on a lot more now and it shows. I feel the oil change to full synthetic is helping a lot. Possibility engine break in too as I'm now at about 4k miles.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Heading into Winter gas formulations again. I'm sure there will be more folks with new trucks complaining about MPG soon.
Got home from trip, 3500 miles, 19.56 MPG hand calculated for trip at posted speed limits (about 900 miles at 75). Not disappointed with mileage. MPG really jumped in the 55 - 65 speed range the overall average speed was 58 MPH. Dash indications varied 1.5 from hand calculated. Can't understand how overall could increase by .5 MPG in only 20 miles with over 7000 miles on the odometer, so I consider the RAM calculations pretty unreliable. Left with a 14.7 overall, returned with a 21 at 8120 total miles to date. Would have needed to average around 26 MPG for the trip to achieve that, but was 6.5 MPG under that. Truck indication is pretty misleading. My experience is that I can easily get the sticker values if I keep the speed under 65.

Rogues Gambit

Reaction score
Rebel, mods listed below, 13.5-14ish, and not complaining about it as it's an offroader with AT tires

If I wanted mileage, I'd of waited for a diesel

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
For those of you curious...

I had a wind noise and UConnect issue that took the dealer 3 months to figure out. During that time, I had a couple of loaner Big Horns. From my own experience, and seeing the discrepancy between what others are reporting, I really think mpg varies from truck to truck.

My Laramie consistently gets 13-14mpg city and maybe 19 highway (60 mph flat road). The Big Horns I drove all easily got 21+mpg hwy (70 mph), and 15+ city. All of the trucks were 4x4 with the same engine. My truck is at ~8,000 miles, the loaners were all around 12-15k. The gas stations, commutes, and driving habits were all the same. I'm not sure what could be that different between trucks, but it is frustrating. Currently at 15.1 mpg, 50/50 city/hwy. If nothing else, it's just a pain to fuel up so frequently.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I think mine started getting better around 13,000. Not hard data though.

jabara572

Reaction score
Avg 17-19 with a mix of 50/50 city/highway. As a Rebel owner i think i hit the jackpot on mpg! You definitely need to drive it smartly and get it to kick into ECO mode as much as possible. I find accelerating faster up to cruise is substantially better than slowly crawling up to speed with the hemi, Gears 1-6 really blow on mpg, so give it like 50-75% throttle and get it up to cruise and make sure ECO kicks on, worth about 2-3mpg driving that way in my experience, which may explain my mpg vs other rebel owners, i just figured out how to drive it for best mpg.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
Just did a family trip from FL to Rutherfordton, NC with appox. 800lbs payload between passengers,dog,toys,luggage, winch, emerg equip, powerwheels jeep and filled coolers with a big horn 3.92 etorque and was impressed with hand calculated MPG heading there particularly. Did it TFL truck style. Have smaller of 2 tanks and could have gone about 450-470 miles without stopping it looked like. low fuel light hadn't come on by 395.5 miles.
Heading North uphill to about 1000ft overall destination elevation over nearly 400miles on 1 tank. (all our bladders could hold!) First 395.5miles recorded 18.3 I was super conservative and kept it speed limit mostly, maybe 5 over at times. always 75 and under. Didn't record til return trip, which averaged slightly higher speeds and recorded 19.03 for first 295 miles and 17.6 for remainder of trip. Not ideal conditions on return trip. We were one of the quicker vehicles heading south that afternoon tho.
Not bad at all, basically what I recorded when empty on flat road with some wind is what we got going slightly uphill with some weight added.. Give or take 10%. I suspect the gains from the downhill swoops/hilly highways gave more savings than the slight struggle the 3.92 had going uphill. I didnt see it drop below 11mpg current on the steepest even with downshift to 7th. then seen 99 on downhill often. (averaging higher than a flat road would yield even tho its going uphill gradually)
I suspect that this winch adding 1/2" sag on front ground clearance with stock suspension + 800lbs payload brought the truck to much lower ride height, maybe 1 to 1 1/2" lower in the front then when empty. I didnt measure when loaded down, but I can confirm a 1/2" drop on the stationary air dam from the 120 lb winch setup added. 9" clearance currently when empty in driveway.
lower=better for aerodynamics but how much does a relatively decent amount of payload hurt MPG vs some minor aero gains from lowered stance.. Interesting.

Last edited:

Redhawk01

Reaction score
Heading into Winter gas formulations again. I'm sure there will be more folks with new trucks complaining about MPG soon.
That would be me. Lol
I've had my truck since March. I generally average 17's to 18's. Been up to 20 on a trip. 3 weeks ago, mileage dropped to the 15's, and can barely get into 16's. I'm in Wisconsin, and I don't know exactly when summer/winter blends change. If that were the case, I should have seen that then. Just seems wierd all of a sudden out of the blue.
Although thinking back, I had a northstar caddy, that fluctuated 2-3 mpg between blends.

Damion

Reaction score
Winter gas is been here for almost a month now. Mileage has dropped from 13 litres per 100 to 16-17 Over the last two tanks. Add to that colder weather and more remote starts and well you get the idea

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Winter gas is been here for almost a month now. Mileage has dropped from 13 litres per 100 to 16-17 Over the last two tanks. Add to that colder weather and more remote starts and well you get the idea
Yep. I've had opportunities to make use of the remote starts over the past month or so. I just don't pay much attention to mileage in the winter months with changes to gas formulations, remote starts, more use of 4WD, and traffic creeping along. So many people moving here that just don't have a clue how to drive in winter weather.

derp

Reaction score
12.4 mpgallons, woohoo I am filling up often. big truck and short commute do not mix well.

Last edited:

jabara572

Reaction score
I installed a hard bed cover (quad cab), aired up to 65/55 psi and have gone from consistent low 18's to 19.5. I already have 13k on the truck so should be broken in. I drive the exact same roads at the same time with the same gas station and the same speed.

The cover was noticeable how much less it wanted to slow down but the biggest effect was upping the air pressure in the duratracs. It is NOTICEABLE how much easier they roll with more air even from the stock 55/45 pressure. Eco mode comes on more, overall I am extremely happy with mpg after those changes. This week I averaged 19.5 and that's about a 70/30 hwy/city. Try it out (probly o ly works on the big 33" duratracs)

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I think the base model is 22 or 23 gallons. The 26 is standard is higher trims. The 33 is optional.

Over 8K miles, I have averaged 14.4 MPG (per Fuelly app). I am dang glad I have the 33 gallon tank...

not sure what you consider higher trims but my sticker was 62k and my truck wont hold more than 21 gallons and it sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online