5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eastern NC to DC today. Rural highway and I95. Not too much time sittig still in traffic.Averaged 20.3 with a 3:92 rear. That's ok i guess for a big ole 4 wheel drive pickup.
I that's a totally acceptable result. Probably bang-on with FCA's testing that was submitted to the EPA. 3.92 gear slightly underperform the 21 MPG highway rating... 3.21 gears over perform... average it out and 21 MPG is what you get. It's what I expected when I got my Rebel.

As my truck breaks in... it's slowly climbing to that number as well. My "lie-o-meter" is climbing to that 17 MPG combined average too.

KSOTI

Reaction score
I that's a totally acceptable result. Probably bang-on with FCA's testing that was submitted to the EPA. 3.92 gear slightly underperform the 21 MPG highway rating... 3.21 gears over perform... average it out and 21 MPG is what you get. It's what I expected when I got my Rebel.

As my truck breaks in... it's slowly climbing to that number as well. My "lie-o-meter" is climbing to that 17 MPG combined average too.
Agreed! Im pretty happy with it i think the 8 speed xsmn overrides some of the effects of the 3:92 once you get out on the highway at reasonable speeds. A couple more highway gears would be awesome for when you really get cruising! Lol

raven_DT

Reaction score
17-18*mpg w 89 octane city mix
325 mile trip mostly interstate (73ish mph) averaged 20.2 both legs*
* using the factory lie-o-meter so deduct 1-2mpgs...

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?
I had awful fuel economy until i has 12,000kms on my odo. It was atrocious. Now my average is 12.8L/100kms which is 18.2 US mpg. Comparable with my 2017 ram.

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score

I've filled up 3 times since I've gotten my truck, and I've manually calculated my mpg, and each time the mpg meter was spot on, within 1/10th... For instance, I ran it down to 16 miles range left, once, and i put 25.089 gallons in the tank.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just did a 600 mile trip and averaged 21.5 at 70mph with 3.92 Limited. Pretty happy with it

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Denver to Telluride and back with the 3.92 gears, ORP and 275 65 20 E-rated off road tires - lots of up and down, lots of pedal to the floor short passing zones.

Took 285 thru Fariplay, Montrose to T-Ride out and 50 to 70 East (82 MPH the whole way home.

19.1 average for the trip.

18.9 (lots of city driving, short trips) average for the 2500 miles I've had her so far.

Better than my 14 Limited 5.9 and better than my 17 Laramie Eco-diesel - very happy with the mileage.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've filled up 3 times since I've gotten my truck, and I've manually calculated my mpg, and each time the mpg meter was spot on, within 1/10th... For instance, I ran it down to 16 miles range left, once, and i put 25.089 gallons in the tank.
Well your experience is not the norm. Mine is never spot on and is always optimistic by .5-1.5 MPG.

clam

Reaction score
I usually get 14-18 mpg in the city and 20-22 mpg on the highway cruising at 65 mph. The truck mpg got significantly better after I put 5k miles on it and performed the first oil change.

cheyfinn

Reaction score
2019 5.7 Hemi first trip to Denver from Cheyenne 200 miles round trip I got 22 mpg running 80 mph most of the time on Interstate, have been getting 16 mpg in town, Second trip to Denver and back I got 20 mpg more stop and go on that trip, I hope my mileage stays up there, 2 mpg better in town and 4 mpg better on the highway that my 2010 Ram 5.7 Hemi

Raydar

Reaction score
~7300 miles. Getting 13-15 MPG with 3.92s.
4x4 Big Horn. Hemi. No eTorque.
I'm not sure if my MPG is getting worse, or if I'm just driving it harder than I was when it was new.
The most recent (and worst) tank had some idling and some 4WD HI operation, too. I know that will kill MPG.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
~7300 miles. Getting 13-15 MPG with 3.92s.
4x4 Big Horn. Hemi. No eTorque.
I'm not sure if my MPG is getting worse, or if I'm just driving it harder than I was when it was new.
The most recent (and worst) tank had some idling and some 4WD HI operation, too. I know that will kill MPG.

Reset your computer on pure highway driving and take it easy, that is your potential high mpg capabilities. I'm averaging 13.5 mpg right now, but I know I can get 19 mpg on a long drive.

But city driving and idling are big mpg sucks on these trucks, plus I got a nice sound exhaust I enjoy hearing, so there goes a ton more gas.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reset your computer on pure highway driving and take it easy, that is your potential high mpg capabilities. I'm averaging 13.5 mpg right now, but I know I can get 19 mpg on a long drive.

But city driving and idling are big mpg sucks on these trucks, plus I got a nice sound exhaust I enjoy hearing, so there goes a ton more gas.
I have eTorque. What is this idling you speak of? :p

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have eTorque. What is this idling you speak of? :p

Lol, I had that start/stop on my F150, I don't think it saved any fuel on that truck, but I could see it being of some value on my RAM, though I have the non ET motor.

Stickerhead

Reaction score
13-15mph city/hwy. Friend of mine said his friend has the same Limited as mine and went to 89 octane and his mileage jumped 2-3 mpg. Might try a tank as a test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I went on a road trip to the mountains last week. Filled the tank with 87 right before we left. There was a lot of up hill driving and a lot of coasting. By the time I got back to town and in my driveway the computer said I averaged 21.5 mpg. I think 60-70 mph (max speeds on this trip) is the sweet spot if you have 3.92. I just got my first oil change at a little over 3k miles, went full synthetic and I'm seeing about 2 mpg better. After some driving to work in traffic I'm down to 19.3 mpg on this tank. I'll hand calculate for sure but I think it's pretty close considering I'll get to 600 miles on this tank.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Just completed a 1685 mile trip from Manistee, MI to Las Cruces, NM and averaged 19.1 MPG, with 6250 on the odometer. Drove legal speed limits of 70 and 75 where posted and didn't baby it on the trip. Will keep it at 65 going home to see what difference it makes. The mileage really jumps in the 55 to 65 Mph range, but drops off over 65. Get ECO at 75, but not nearly as often as at 65. Had a lot of head winds as we departed in a rain and wind front from the West. The panel indicated 21 MPG, I hand calculated the 19.1. I'm not at all disappointed, except for the disparity between hand calculated and displayed. Total MPG is now indicated at 18.8.

Users who are viewing this thread