5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

11B4X4

Reaction score
I guess I consider my self fortunate. I can get 15 with my lift and tires. That's hand calculated and adjusting for the larger tire. Prior to the lift and tires I was able to get 18-19. That's 50% highway, 25% city, 25% back roads. The dash readout is generally 1 mpg lower than my hand calculation....Coasting is almost like a game for me. How well can I time a light or stop sign or how little brake can I use hahaha

19reb

I guess I consider my self fortunate. I can get 15 with my lift and tires. That's hand calculated and adjusting for the larger tire. Prior to the lift and tires I was able to get 18-19. That's 50% highway, 25% city, 25% back roads. The dash readout is generally 1 mpg lower than my hand calculation....Coasting is almost like a game for me. How well can I time a light or stop sign or how little brake can I use hahaha

Where'd you serve?

B co. 2-327 INF for me. 101st AB 11 years. 4.5 of those years were in Iraq. Glad to see another 11B lurking around on a forum.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Where'd you server?

B co. 2-327 INF for me. 101st AB 11 years. 4.5 of those years were in Iraq. Glad to see another 11B lurking around on a forum.

If I'm wrong, I apologize.

You're correct. I called him out in another post.
101st isn't even real Airborne. Kidding, I was Airborne Infantry in the 82nd. I was 11H, so not even real infantry haha.

Back on topic: 10.5mpg indicated, but with a 2" lift and 34"tires. That's 99% city driving with lights every 1/8-1/4 mile. I'm sure my 34" tires throws off the trucks calculation. I mentioned this in a few other MPG threads; people have to remember that the EPA uses a very specific testing environment when measuring MPG and most won't be able to duplicate that in the real world.

19reb

I just got my truck back from the dealer. They say just keep driving it. Break it in more they say. Not sure where the 500 mile break in went. But my truck has 2600 miles on it.

How many miles we got to drive these things till they "break in"?

11B/H/C - Far as I'm concerned, we all work toward the same common goal. Kill the enemy efficiently and effectively. Hit em' till they stop moving or die tryin'!

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
I’ve had my 5.7L eTorque 1500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.21 gears for 3 days. Approx 250 miles. My mileage says 12.4 ave! Am I just a lead foot or what? I thought that etorque supposed to throw me
a bone and help me out a bit?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your foot can counter whatever help the eTorque can give you. Also give it some time and get some miles on that new truck.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had my 5.7L eTorque 1500 Laramie, 4x4, 3.21 gears for 3 days. Approx 250 miles. My mileage says 12.4 ave! Am I just a lead foot or what? I thought that etorque supposed to throw me
a bone and help me out a bit?
Only if you lose the lead foot!
:ROFLMAO::D:oops::giggle:

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
First tank 16.0 MPG according to computer. 40% highway, with some abnormally heavy traffic in the city two of the days. Laramie Sport 4x4, 3.92, eTorque.

19RAMSRU

Reaction score
Currently hitting 15.1 mpgs now
12k miles on the truck
Offroad package
3.92 gears.

Makes me wish i waited and got the 19 2500 gasser. Buddy is getting 17mpg avg.. BEATING ME ON THE SAME ROUTE. BOTH CRUISING SAME SPEEDS. He has the high ratio on his as well.

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
12k miles on the truck
Offroad package
3.92 gears.

Makes me wish i waited and got the 19 2500 gasser. Buddy is getting 17mpg avg.. BEATING ME ON THE SAME ROUTE. BOTH CRUISING SAME SPEEDS. He has the high ratio on his as well.
that makes now sense? How does he beat u?

SB89

Reaction score
Now we’re talking! Passed the 1500 mile mark and the mileage is starting to go way up. Just did a 200 mile trip to do some fishing and averaged 22-23 mpg highway. My last tank, about 65% highway driving, got me over 360 miles.

Snapped a photo when I hit 1500, but the rest of the trip got the overall mpg since purchasing the truck to about 19.1mpg. Been filling up with 89 octane and I am VERY pleased.

Attachments

• D7AAE997-5943-428C-A95D-E35F0390B006.jpeg
    D7AAE997-5943-428C-A95D-E35F0390B006.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 30

Creep0321

Reaction score
My Rebel is a quad cab. Minus his e-crap, there is no difference. Except I don't drive in PA traffic. I drive in Clarksville TN traffic. Which is a pretty major difference. Yet I can't even manage 13mpg and this guy claims he is getting 18 in 2 different trucks with 2 different drivers while pulling a trailer. I call BS...

I do understand the rolling resistance and giving excessive acceleration to keep at speed up hills. My Rebel dips down below 5mpg current if I even think about putting pressure on the gas pedal and on flat land. So 18mpg in my situation is an impossibility.

Seems like this guy might be that dude who rides in the passing lane driving 40mph in a 55mph zone holding up traffic during rush hour....
Clarksville traffic does blow. Haven’t seen any rebels yet around here, a few limiteds, 1 longhorn 2 Laramie, and a bunch of bighorns.

Dirtfreak

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealer. They say just keep driving it. Break it in more they say. Not sure where the 500 mile break in went. But my truck has 2600 miles on it.

How many miles we got to drive these things till they "break in"?

11B/H/C - Far as I'm concerned, we all work toward the same common goal. Kill the enemy efficiently and effectively. Hit em' till they stop moving or die tryin'!
Some say they didn't see better mileage till after 3000 miles.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I’m at 1400kms and the fuel economy is getting better. Sitting at 12.3L/100kms with mostly city driving.

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
69 mph, flat highway, and I get 18 mpg (4,300 miles on the engine). This truck should be rated as 13 cty/ 18 hwy.

Side note, I tried to attach a video, apparently the forum does not support .mp4. What's the recommended format?

19reb

69 mph, flat highway, and I get 18 mpg (4,300 miles on the engine). This truck should be rated as 13 cty/ 18 hwy.

Side note, I tried to attach a video, apparently the forum does not support .mp4. What's the recommended format?

A link to a YouTube video should work.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12k miles on the truck
Offroad package
3.92 gears.

It's not the truck, it's the different driver getting better mileage. Y'all could swap trucks and he'd still win.

YawnY

Reaction score
I hope you aren't running in 4 High on pavement. Damage WILL occur.
Driving in 4 high won't damage anything. Trucks are designed to drive in 4 high, if he was driving in 4 low all the time then that would be an issue. I'm a licensed mechanic, worked for ford, GM and Dodge. Not once have I ever seen damaged done to vehicles due to driving in 4 high. I've seen many chevys with worn out front pinion bearings but have never had a damaged axle, differential or transfercase from driving normally in 4high. There are rare cases of abuse causing damage. I've driven my 2011 ford f150 (my rebel is on order) for many years on dry, snowy, icy and dirt roads in 4 High and have had 0 issues.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving in 4 high won't damage anything. Trucks are designed to drive in 4 high, if he was driving in 4 low all the time then that would be an issue. I'm a licensed mechanic, worked for ford, GM and Dodge. Not once have I ever seen damaged done to vehicles due to driving in 4 high. I've seen many chevys with worn out front pinion bearings but have never had a damaged axle, differential or transfercase from driving normally in 4high. There are rare cases of abuse causing damage. I've driven my 2011 ford f150 (my rebel is on order) for many years on dry, snowy, icy and dirt roads in 4 High and have had 0 issues.
How does the truck handle the windup that occurs when from and rear axles are locked together? 4-Auto disengages the front axle to solve this problem. 4-High doesn't. Something has to be in a bind eventually in 4-high. Can't imagine that being good for the mechanism. The manual also says don't do it, if I recall correctly. I've never tested to see if it breaks.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How does the truck handle the windup that occurs when from and rear axles are locked together? 4-Auto disengages the front axle to solve this problem. 4-High doesn't. Something has to be in a bind eventually in 4-high. Can't imagine that being good for the mechanism. The manual also says don't do it, if I recall correctly. I've never tested to see if it breaks.

It's still an open center diff, right? Not sure there would be binding b/n front and rear because it would work the same way as a rear axle that is open; the left and right (front and rear) can still spin independently. I always thought you only ever got binding when you locked the diffs, which is a separate thing from 4x4 itself.

My Jeep has permanent 4x4 engaged, doesn't even have a "low" though all but the "basic" models do come with the 2 speed transfer case.

Users who are viewing this thread