5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

RichT

Reaction score
That 3500 TFL just tested gets better mileage then my Rebel

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it does not and the terrain here is southeastern Pa is constantly rolling hills not much flat around here AND eTorque is shut down when in Tow/Haul
This is incorrect. eTorque plays a role in shift smoothness and efficiency. It recaptures energy via regen by slowing down the engine speed on upshifts, and speeds up the engine more efficiently than using fuel for downshifts. It also can enable to MDS to operate a bit more when the engine is on the cusp of needing more power when in 4 cylinder mode.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My driving is a lot short trips 5-10 miles each way. Retired. The readout shows 15-17 mpg when I occasionally look at it. I did hand calculate my towing mpg last week. 160 miles, all interstate, 17 gallons - 9.4 mpg. About what I expected. Coming back I'm certain it was worse because I took back roads to avoid the Plant City strawberry festival backups on I-4. Haven't filled up since.

Last edited:

Lateralus

Reaction score
My truck has yet to get over 14 mpg. I think I can actually see the fuel gauge moving while I drive down the road...

redbranch

Reaction score
I've only had mine for a week now, but am averaging right around 16 combined, 19-20 hwy. So far, I can live with that, and expect it may improve as it breaks in.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Been running 87 in mine for most of the 2K miles I have on it, just switched to 89 and immediately got an increase in MPG, not sure that increase is worth the 30c extra a gallon though.....

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I had my RAM in for the 2 recalls this week, and the dealership had me in a 2019 Jeep Compass for a few days. After driving that 2.3 liter for just under 200 miles I thought I should chime in and say ... That little 4 banger couldn't average 18 MPG in 2WD over those 200 miles. I drove the same routes and speeds I do in the RAM. Needless to say, I was happy to get the RAM back this morning. It was nice to have a loaner, but man what a weird little vechicle that Compass is.

RAM309702

Reaction score
All you rock stars getting great mileage, how fast are you driving? Cruise control? I can be in 8th gear at 1600 to 1800 RPM going 75 getting a sexy 15MPG on the highway. How you doing it?

NDRam

Reaction score
All you rock stars getting great mileage, how fast are you driving? Cruise control? I can be in 8th gear at 1600 to 1800 RPM going 75 getting a sexy 15MPG on the highway. How you doing it?

60 miles yesterday at 69MPH = 17.7 mpg. Pleasantly surprised. Got to get out of Auto 4WD. That is a killer.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
my 19 is getting far better mileage than my 12 in the same conditions here in Colorado.. my 12 had limited slip and, my 19 e locks.. overall, in the same conditions, I am getting about 3 mph better with my new truck.. now I did add a green filter and oil catch can, and my 12 had a CAI and straight pipe to the throttle body..

DharmaDog

Reaction score
I have about 1600 miles on my Longhorn with ORG, 3.21 and no aftermarket lift or wheels or tires. I have yet to hit 15MPG average, and I absolutely baby the throttle. I have only engaged 4WAuto twice for very short periods of time in heavy storms. I drive about a 50/50 mix of city/highway and have only remote started it once. I try my hardest to be easy on the gas, go no more than ~5 MPH over the speed limit, I try to get the ECO light to come on as much as possible and I cruise with no gas downhill, still no 15 MPG.

I am hoping that it gets better. I'd be very happy with 17 MPG average.

klail

Reaction score
I have about 1600 miles on my Longhorn with ORG, 3.21 and no aftermarket lift or wheels or tires. I have yet to hit 15MPG average, and I absolutely baby the throttle. I have only engaged 4WAuto twice for very short periods of time in heavy storms. I drive about a 50/50 mix of city/highway and have only remote started it once. I try my hardest to be easy on the gas, go no more than ~5 MPH over the speed limit, I try to get the ECO light to come on as much as possible and I cruise with no gas downhill, still no 15 MPG.

I am hoping that it gets better. I'd be very happy with 17 MPG average.
I have a similar driving style. 5 over posted, try to get eco to turn on, etc... I am probably averaging about 15 or so. My Fuelly average is less because of some hauling I did on my last 2 tanks. My gauge is showing 15.3 at the moment so I am sure that will hand calculate a bit less when I got to fuel it up.

timmbos

Reaction score
I'm just about to hit 500 miles on my stock Limited 4x4, 6'4 bed, 3.21 gears. Best I'm seeing right now is around 14.2 mpg and that's driving it smooth and easy. I hit very few stop lights during my 17 mile route back and forth each way to work. Avg speed on the 2 lane section of state hwy is 55mph for 13 miles. Then I hit 70mph on the 4 lane interstate for about 4 miles. I'm currently quite a ways off from my window sticker for my build that shows a combined mpg at 17. Hopefully it gets slightly better but I don't expect anything dramatic. I absolutely love this truck despite the mpg. I'm not shocked as I knew it was a far cry in mpg from the compact 4cyl truck I was in. But oh this Limited is incredible! I'll never go back to a compact!

NDRam

Reaction score
I'm just about to hit 500 miles on my stock Limited 4x4, 6'4 bed, 3.21 gears. Best I'm seeing right now is around 14.2 mpg and that's driving it smooth and easy. I hit very few stop lights during my 17 mile route back and forth each way to work. Avg speed on the 2 lane section of state hwy is 55mph for 13 miles. Then I hit 70mph on the 4 lane interstate for about 4 miles. I'm currently quite a ways off from my window sticker for my build that shows a combined mpg at 17. Hopefully it gets slightly better but I don't expect anything dramatic. I absolutely love this truck despite the mpg. I'm not shocked as I knew it was a far cry in mpg from the compact 4cyl truck I was in. But oh this Limited is incredible! I'll never go back to a compact!

I've got 2200 miles on today and averaging about 16 mpg. Getting better the more I drive. Has greatly improved since I got out of Auto 4WD.

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
On the bright side, with the weather warming up, my mpg improved from 12.5 to 14.5. A 16% jump is great and all, but its still pretty disappointing to not even meet the bottom end of the expected range.

On a related note, assuming that ECO mode comes on whenever the engine is running on 4 cylinders, it doesn't seem to come on unless I'm going below 55mph on flat or downhill road. 8 cylinders seems like overkill for cruising at 65, but apparently 4 isn't enough. Too bad the engine can't run on 6 cylinders. Seems like that would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread