5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Jwsmith

Reaction score
I'm at 990 miles and an overall 12.2, but attribute that to several factors:. First, 80% of my driving is City under 40 MPH (80% at or under 25) in cold winter weather in 4auto. Two trips I've taken were secondary roads in 4auto with multiple community slow downs, but averaged over 18 MPG for those 120 mile round trips. It will be nice to get on some clear highways in 2wd to balance my majority less than 1 mile 25 MPH travel. BTW, my 16 Silverado 5.3 got about 9.8 MPG under similar conditions and only got 20+ MPG highway if I kept the speed under 64 MPH. Love the RAM drive, power, and technology! I'm sure the mileage will get substantially better and I recognize my morning coffee and afternoon cigar lounge trips of a quarter mile under 25 MPH impact it (not exactly "city's driving). I'm not concerned at this point.

NDRam

Reaction score
13.5 average in city/mixed conditions with 4WD Auto engaged. 1600 miles on the truck. Been to "winter" up here to get out of 4WD Auto (which I love!).

NDRam

Reaction score
I'm hoping warmer weather helps significantly. I'm also in frozen IA and thus far my best tank is 14.6 in mixed conditions. In pure in town, I'm getting about 10.5. I drive like the old man that I am, so it isn't my right foot. I have a nice 8 hour roadtrip on Saturday that I'm interested in seeing the results from. Btw, in my Fuelly log my best fill ups so far have been with 89, even though that requires ethanol mixing around here.

I run strict 89 with 10% corn. 13.5 average. My best fill ups in my 2016 1500 were always 89. The sales person on my '16 recommended 89 and that is all I will run unless I cannot find it. Then its 87.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
I run strict 89 with 10% corn. 13.5 average. My best fill ups in my 2016 1500 were always 89. The sales person on my '16 recommended 89 and that is all I will run unless I cannot find it. Then its 87.
I also run 89 octane, looks like a warming trend is coming later this week, I can count the days above freezing on one hand since taking delivery in NW Michigan late November. No regrets on my RAM conversion!

Roddog2220

Reaction score
i was getting around 17 until a 3 inch lift then it went to 13.5, i do have bigger gears though, just be glad you guys can fill up your tank, im at 5k miles and have run the tank plum empty and the most it has ever held was 21 gallons, so frustrating

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
11,000 miles since I picked the truck up at the end of September. I have run 87 or 89 in the gas tank, but mostly 87 and never reset the counter in the dash. I do have an K&N Air Filter in place for the last 5000 miles. I took this picture last night while driving home.
IMG_20190312_174010.jpg

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
11,000 miles since I picked the truck up at the end of September. I have run 87 or 89 in the gas tank, but mostly 87 and never reset the counter in the dash. I do have an K&N Air Filter in place for the last 5000 miles. I took this picture last night while driving home.
View attachment 18799

Two questions. First, did you notice an increase in mpg as your overall mileage increased, or have you always achieved that mpg average? Second, did you notice an increase in mpg after your drop in KN filter?

Thanks.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I can't say I have noticed a big difference with the air filter change, if anything it's marginal. K&N filters are just my personal preference. No real difference in gas mileage because of amount of miles driven after 3k when I started paying attention.

I drive 70% highway, however it is in NJ through some of the most congested rush hour areas. Definitely not flat ground. For those in NJ who know the roads.. Rt 78, Route 24, Route 46, GSP (exits 98 to 153), Route 287.

The biggest difference I notice is going from 87 to 89 octane. I do find the truck runs better on Costco gas (Top Fuel graded) than the usual Speedway gas I use. Speedway is by my house.

So overall for 4x4 with 3.92 gears and weighs 5000+ lbs with 20 inch tires not too shabby.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't say I have noticed a big difference with the air filter change, if anything it's marginal. K&N filters are just my personal preference. No real difference in gas mileage because of amount of miles driven after 3k when I started paying attention.

I drive 70% highway, however it is in NJ through some of the most congested rush hour areas. Definitely not flat ground. For those in NJ who know the roads.. Rt 78, Route 24, Route 46, GSP (exits 98 to 153), Route 287.

The biggest difference I notice is going from 87 to 89 octane. I do find the truck runs better on Costco gas (Top Fuel graded) than the usual Speedway gas I use. Speedway is by my house.

So overall for 4x4 with 3.92 gears and weighs 5000+ lbs with 20 inch tires not too shabby.

I'd be very happy with those numbers. My 500 mile trip from Saturday netted 15.5. Can I ask what your average speed is typically on your 70% highway trips? I might be able to hit higher if I was more like 60-65. But at 75, 15.5-16 seems like where I'm topping out for now. Holding out hope that summer blend gas helps too shortly. I had considered a K&N or Green Filter to see if they might help modestly, but was a little concerned about how well they would protect with filtration.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

19.1 MPG average over 11,000 miles is indeed a good number for a truck. But have you ever checked the trip-computer fuel economy numbers against careful fill-ups and calculating the fuel economy yourself? Just curious.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I rarely break 70 when on the highway, I am in no rush to get anywhere that going faster that 70 would help. I use an app to track gas / maintenance called Drivvo and it's numbers mirror what I am seeing on the in dash display. Speeds ranges are based on the daily traffic patterns.. so that can range from 0 to 70 ! As I mentioned I sit in some nasty NJ commuter traffic. I have noticed using Cruise Control 63-65 mph is a sweet spot on my truck. On my 2012 Chrysler 300 66mph was the CC sweet spot.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
Fuelio says my average on 1 tank (first fillup after buying the truck) was 14.48 on 89 octane. Truck computer said 14.6 around town and 15.9 on a hour trip on the DC beltway. About normal for a PU of this weight. My Camaro SS averages 17 and it weighs at least 1500 lbs less.

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
19.1 mpg? Holy hell. Anytime I manage to get my mpg above 16, a couple of stoplights bring that number crashing down.

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience regarding their mpg's with similarly equipped Fords or Chevy's? I poked around Fuelly a bit, but trucks seem to have regional preference, so average commutes and weather may be very between brands. I'm tempted to switch trucks with a friend for a week to see what kind of numbers I get.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 18799
Is the screen smaller in the big horn?

slimchance

Reaction score
Kungfubhuda you said "19.1 mpg? Holy hell. Anytime I manage to get my mpg above 16, a couple of stoplights bring that number crashing down." ... and that is where the start/stop eTorque helps out .. i can drive across town stopping at many lights and the average remains constant

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
... and that is where the start/stop eTorque helps out .. i can drive across town stopping at many lights and the average remains constant

I drive 50/50 highway, and I often think that start/stop would help quite a bit. What's really strange, is that eco mode turns off when you pull up to a stoplight. It would be interesting to borrow an e-torque truck for comparison. Does the e-torque do anything for passing or going up slight hills on the highway?

After playing around with resetting the mpg gauge here and there, I would estimate that my mileage is probably 11 city 17 hwy. Which averages to about 13 total. Though I've been doing a little better on my most recent tank, now that it's warming up. I wouldn't be surprised to add 3mpg to those numbers this summer.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive 50/50 highway, and I often think that start/stop would help quite a bit. What's really strange, is that eco mode turns off when you pull up to a stoplight. It would be interesting to borrow an e-torque truck for comparison. Does the e-torque do anything for passing or going up slight hills on the highway?

After playing around with resetting the mpg gauge here and there, I would estimate that my mileage is probably 11 city 17 hwy. Which averages to about 13 total. Though I've been doing a little better on my most recent tank, now that it's warming up. I wouldn't be surprised to add 3mpg to those numbers this summer.

eTorque can, under very specific circumstances, provide a bit of benefit at highway speeds if conditions are right for cylinder-deactivation to occur.

eTorque assists with its torque for the first half-rotation of the tires when coming off a stoplight, it very briefly kicks in during transmission shifts to smooth the shifts, and under light-throttle conditions at highway speeds it can allow the cylinder-deactivation feature to remain on for a wee bit longer than without eTorque. But the largest share of eTorque's fuel-economy benefit actually comes from shutting the engine off at stoplights. The other bits it contributes are measurable, but smaller in terms of their contribution to improved fuel economy.

Note that you have 3.21 rear-end ratio, Jamie.howlett has 3.92 rear gears...that, combined with terrain and driving style, will have a big impact on overall fuel economy.

Users who are viewing this thread