5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Way to many variables here, brand of fuel, octane, type of driving, how much weight, tires, lift, 2 vs 4 Ed, eTorque, age, axle ratio and number of miles or not to compare.

honestly it is a truck with a V-8, do you expect to get Prius mileage?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Whats the carbon filter? How does it affect mpgs?
I believe it is for emissions, part of the EVAP system. When the truck is parked, this should capture and trap the evaporating gasoline/related chemicals that can escape out of the intake and into the atmosphere. There are charcoal canisters tied to the fuel tank/fuel system as well which help trap these airborne chemicals. I believe it helps reduce smog, simliar to why many if not all gas station pumps have those annoying corrugated necks which are to reduce vapors releasing into the atmosphere at fill-ups.

Here is one explanation... All thanks to CARB.

The idea of removing it(which I have done since it is free and easy) is that it reduces restrictions to the air flow in the intake.

Last edited:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Way to many variables here, brand of fuel, octane, type of driving, how much weight, tires, lift, 2 vs 4 Ed, eTorque, age, axle ratio and number of miles or not to compare.

honestly it is a truck with a V-8, do you expect to get Prius mileage?
It's 2020, and it's an election year. As an entitled American, I should expect nothing less. :D

Nickjansen

Reaction score
You have to remember: I’m a grandpa driver, don’t accelerate quickly and theres a sign on the tailgate that says “push me, I need the mpg’s”...
You may want a Prius or Honda Insight as a fun summer & Sunday driver then :p...I am sure either would really get your juices flowing.. (poking fun because I hate being behind people like you if your in the left lane :ROFLMAO:)

Kob0583

Reaction score
I believe it is for emissions, part of the EVAP system. When the truck is parked, this should capture and trap the evaporating gasoline/related chemicals that can escape out of the intake and into the atmosphere. There are charcoal canisters tied to the fuel tank/fuel system as well which help trap these airborne chemicals. I believe it helps reduce smog, simliar to why many if not all gas station pumps have those annoying corrugated necks which are to reduce vapors releasing into the atmosphere at fill-ups.

The idea of removing it(which I have done since it is free and easy) is that it reduces restrictions to the air flow in the intake.

Yup that’s basically it, trucks stock CAI requires it to be CARB compliant for sale in CA. It’s very restrictive so I’ve pulled them. I feel it is helpful to helping the engine breathe. Try blowing air through it for being so thin it’s very restrictive IMO but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssick92

Reaction score
My average MPG is saying 14.6 right now after like 500 miles. Given the fact that I have been giving her pretty good gas every so often to help the break in and ran a couple 0-60's recently, I think that is a decent number. As things settle down and I start commuting back to work in a couple months I think it'll probably increase, but I'm not expecting a whole lot out of a hemi...

My1stHemi

Reaction score
My average MPG is saying 14.6 right now after like 500 miles. Given the fact that I have been giving her pretty good gas every so often to help the break in and ran a couple 0-60's recently, I think that is a decent number. As things settle down and I start commuting back to work in a couple months I think it'll probably increase, but I'm not expecting a whole lot out of a hemi...
Mine started out there on 87. Then I started running 89 and it creeped up to mid 15’s By about 10,000mi. I have been running 91 for a few tanks and am getting low 16’s At 17,000mi at a 60/40mix of highway and surface streets.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score

This is very interesting I had no idea lol. Thanks a lot for explaining this I appreciate it!

Crockett

Reaction score
I’ll chime in on the gas discussion. I have the non e-torque Hemi with a 3.92 rear. I also have the 33 gal tank (so that adds a few pounds). I did a 250 mile trip yesterday with a mixture of rural roads (40%),town stoplights (10%), and four lane highways (50%). The mileage on my truck as of today is 560 miles (I just bought it), and based on yesterday’s trip, my fuel computer read 20.4 MPG. I did not hand calculate, but it if I subtract 1 MPG off the reading To compensate for error, I’m very pleased so far.

What I liked about the big tank is I filled it yesterday and my DTE read 641 miles.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to say that my truck surprised me on Saturday. I filled up when I left Lake Phoenix and drove 150 miles home. It's about 125 miles of I-95 and then 25 miles of Hwy 234 (4 lane divided highway, with a 55 MPH speed limit). My onboard was showing 21 MPG when I got home, so I stopped at the Sheetz by my house and filled up again to hand calculate.

The hand calculation came out to 20.0 MPG. My previous best was 17.9MPG on 2 different occasions. This is all based on tracking every time I've gotten gas using the Fuelly app.

The only difference on this trip was that I kept the adaptive cruise set strictly at 10 MPH over the limit. Usually I end up going 15 over, if the speed limit is 60 or less. In VA, 20 over is automatic Reckless Driving, so when I'm in VA, I never go more than 15 over. I got hit with Reckless once. I got it reduced to simple speeding, but it was still a huge PITA...

Well, and also, I got my oil changed on Friday at the local RAM dealership. I really don't know that that had anything to do with it, though. But, I think they did drop my tire pressures a little bit when they rotated them. My normal hot running pressure is around 44-45. On Saturday, hot running pressure was around 40-41.

Side note: My tires that were on the rear now prior to this last rotation are very close to the wear bars (after 22,000 miles), but only in the middle grooves. The grooves near the outer edge of each tire have 1 to 2 32nds more tread. I.e. 2/32 in the middle and 3 - 4/32 on the outsides. I believe running them overinflated like I was has caused the middle of the tires to get more worn than the outsides.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
10MPG city 15 HWY on my limited with 3.92 gears on 2WD.

35" Ridge Grapplers and 5in Rough Country lift. Pedal commander set to ECO -4.

vdemarco

Reaction score
So we took a trip from CA -> WA. i have a 2020 Rebel, with 3.92 gears and eTorque. For stretches i could hit 18 mpg (average), but for the entire trip there and back, i got 17.5 mpg. The truck has 3200 miles on it now.

To get 20 mpg, the road would have to be flat, or downhill, and you would stay at 55 mph the entire time.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..gave this truck the best possible scenario it's going to see from me. 100% Hwy drive, literally filled up (89oct) at the bottom of the onramp, got on the Hwy, zero stops from Greensboro, NC to South Jersey where I filled up again.. Auto cruise set to 4-6 mph over the speed limit with zero traffic :cool:.. 18.8 mpg.. still a far cry from the 22mpg it's supposed to get on the Hwy.

Only got in the mid 16's on the way down, but we did have ALOT of rain, so slower driving with Auto-4wd on.

8,500+/- miles on the clock

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

I have found that using Adaptive Cruise results in something like 1.5 to 2 MPG worse fuel economy than driving with regular cruise control. At least, it has appeared so, the couple of times I have tried it. Meaning, I normally always drive with Adaptive on. But, a couple of times I have tried doing a 150 mile (or so) highway trip using regular cruise instead of Adaptive.

I'm pretty sure that result is influenced a lot by how much traffic there is during the drive. If there was no traffic to make adaptive slow down and speed up, I would expect the mileage to be pretty much the same, compared to regular cruise. But, living in northern VA, that never happens to me.

Just an FYI.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

I have found that using Adaptive Cruise results in something like 1.5 to 2 MPG worse fuel economy than driving with regular cruise control. At least, it has appeared so, the couple of times I have tried it. Meaning, I normally always drive with Adaptive on. But, a couple of times I have tried doing a 150 mile (or so) highway trip using regular cruise instead of Adaptive.

I'm pretty sure that result is influenced a lot by how much traffic there is during the drive. If there was no traffic to make adaptive slow down and speed up, I would expect the mileage to be pretty much the same, compared to regular cruise. But, living in northern VA, that never happens to me.

Just an FYI.

From the limited amount I have used ACC, I believe you to be correct. ACC does not lift and coast as you would normally do. It basically accelerates or brakes and I think that is worse for fuel economy.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just took another trip from South Jersey to NC and back (all hand calc).
1st tank: 17.27mpg - 100% highway cruise set between 64mph - 77mph (4Auto was on as it was snowy/icy for most of this tank)
2nd tank: 16.54mpg - 75% highway cruise around 60mph, the rest driving around Greensboro, NC
3rd tank: 17.46mpg - 100% highway cruise set between 60mph - 77mph
4th tank: 17.26mpg - 100% highway cruise set between 64mph - 77mph

Ran 89oct or higher with 2 adults and one baby, not much weight in the bed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread