5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
True, but at most it has 10% ethanol...meaning 90% pure...so do the math as I am not going to. :)
.9668 X mpg from 100% gas to 10% ethanol blend
21 hwy gas = 20.302 with 10% ethanol
1.0332 X mpg from 10% ethanol to 100% gas
17 mpg with 10% ethanol = 17.565 with 100% gas

I think that is right based on the loss of BTUs. Don't hold any mistake against me. Only had 1 cup of coffee so far.

Winter blend additives BTUs? City MPG loss is very noticeable in winter but I am not sure how much is the gasoline blend and how much is a cold Hemi.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True, but at most it has 10% ethanol...meaning 90% pure...so do the math as I am not going to. :)
Your correct that it only knocks the BTU's down to around 110,000.

But that does not take into account for fuel contaminants. Gasoline is not water soluble, but ethanol is. Therefore, ethanol can pick up contaminants that gasoline doesn't and may deposit those contaminants inside your engine, leading to fouled filters or injectors. This can cause noticeable decreases in engine performance if not dealt with. Engines that are rarely or seasonally used, such as lawnmowers or chainsaws, are especially prone to difficulties, although the reasons are not all clearly understood. Proper formulation and care of ethanol blends is something that fuel transporters and resellers are getting the hang of, so hopefully this will be less of a problem in the future. But with the amount of rainfall we have had this year it is doubtful especially since ethanol is hygroscopic.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your correct that it only knocks the BTU's down to around 110,000.

But that does not take into account for fuel contaminants. Gasoline is not water soluble, but ethanol is. Therefore, ethanol can pick up contaminants that gasoline doesn't and may deposit those contaminants inside your engine, leading to fouled filters or injectors. This can cause noticeable decreases in engine performance if not dealt with. Engines that are rarely or seasonally used, such as lawnmowers or chainsaws, are especially prone to difficulties, although the reasons are not all clearly understood. Proper formulation and care of ethanol blends is something that fuel transporters and resellers are getting the hang of, so hopefully this will be less of a problem in the future. But with the amount of rainfall we have had this year it is doubtful especially since ethanol is hygroscopic.

All modern engines are designed for ethanol up to 10%, so I highly doubt that would cause any issues. In fact ethanol is beneficial on DI engines keeping things clean.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since you have already drunk the Kool-Aid or Ethanol in this case, I will just let my numbers MPG make my case.

You mean Ethanol-Aid. Not sure how you dismiss an opinion so rapidly but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

To be clear, I would love everything to be pure gasoline but that is not gonna happen. Is ethanol less effective than pure gas? For commuter driving trying to get the best MPG yes.

However, coming from the Mustang world, ethanol was highly loved with a tune. It made huge power, kept the intakes clean, and was as cheap/cheaper than regular unleaded. You did need to run a tank of 93 through the engine every so often to clean/lubricate things and you never wanted to leave ethanol in the tank over the winter months in hibernation.

Lennstang

Reaction score
One thing you guys are not taking into consideration with for fuel mileage, is everyone in the Northeast is still running winter Blended fuel. I always notice a three to four mile per gallon difference and my mileage during the winter versus during the summer. Winter Blend fuel doesn't have as many BTUs per cubic liter as summer Blended fuel. The same goes for diesel vehicles. The north-east usually switches back to summer-blend around late April to early May. The fuel formulation is changed for the winter months to help Vehicles start in cold weather. I'm not sure where else in the United States this is done but I know it is done in the Northeast and the northern states.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One thing you guys are not taking into consideration with for fuel mileage, is everyone in the Northeast is still running winter Blended fuel. I always notice a three to four mile per gallon difference and my mileage during the winter versus during the summer. Winter Blend fuel doesn't have as many BTUs per cubic liter as summer Blended fuel. The same goes for diesel vehicles. The north-east usually switches back to summer-blend around late April to early May. The fuel formulation is changed for the winter months to help Vehicles start in cold weather. I'm not sure where else in the United States this is done but I know it is done in the Northeast and the northern states.
summer gasoline contains about 1.7 percent more energy than winter gasoline.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol, I hope that drinking ethanol is not a bad thing. I have some C2H5OH in my glass right now. I hear it is germicidal so it is strictly for medicinal purposes.
Actually consuming ethanol is the best way to use it. Burning it in your HEMI not so much.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mean Ethanol-Aid. Not sure how you dismiss an opinion so rapidly but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

To be clear, I would love everything to be pure gasoline but that is not gonna happen. Is ethanol less effective than pure gas? For commuter driving trying to get the best MPG yes.

However, coming from the Mustang world, ethanol was highly loved with a tune. It made huge power, kept the intakes clean, and was as cheap/cheaper than regular unleaded. You did need to run a tank of 93 through the engine every so often to clean/lubricate things and you never wanted to leave ethanol in the tank over the winter months in hibernation.
The reason that it is cheaper is two-fold.

1. You and I are paying for it to be subsided with our taxes.
So just because it is cheaper at the pump. You are still paying Uncle Sam to grow it and produce it.

2. You have to buy more of it to go the same amount of distance that you would on pure gasoline. So you don't even save as much at the pump.

And since you brought up boats. I hope you never put any ethanol in your boat motor. It will gum it up in one season and you will have to rebuild the engine.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason that it is cheaper is two-fold.

1. You and I are paying for it to be subsided with our taxes.
So just because it is cheaper at the pump. You are still paying Uncle Sam to grow it and produce it.

2. You have to buy more of it to go the same amount of distance that you would on pure gasoline. So you don't even save as much at the pump.

And since you brought up boats. I hope you never put any ethanol in your boat motor. It will gum it up in one season and you will have to rebuild the engine.

1. True. But this is not changing anytime soon...so get over it already. Luckily it does go to US farmers.

2. True. See #1

For engines that do not like any ethanol they make additives to deal with it (Marine MXO, Stabil, Amsoil quickshot just to name a few).

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know what you guys are talking about, my Rebel gets great mileage. Don't bother noticing the amount left to empty, or that I may have only driven it 15 miles on the interstate slightly downhill :ROFLMAO:.
20200327_080559.jpg

timwarner

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?
https://www.performancechiptuning.com/ram/1500/ I purchased this unit for $99.It definitely has helped my 2019 Bighorn with better throttle response,and has slightly improved MPG.It boasts it will gain you 4 mpg,but it says it may take up to 2 weeks to learn your driving habits.I started at around 18 stock,and in about 1 1/2 weeks,I am up to 20.5,so,will have to see. I installed the stage 1 tuner.Just plugs into OBD2 plug.Hope this helps.

JasonB

Reaction score
I love E85 in my Camaro ... it picks up about 70rwhp ... Ethanol is government subsidized race fuel :)

timwarner

Reaction score
i too am disappointed right now. Have 500 miles on it and seeing 8-10 mostly city and 13-14 highway. I hope this improves. Truck is all stock.
Get rid of the 3:92s.There's your mileage.I have 3:21s and am pushing 20mpg.The higher the rear axle ratio,the worse the mpg will be,but great takeoff out of the hole.

Konrad

Reaction score
Now that the temps are higher (and premium fuel is much cheaper) I started seeing DRAMATIC mpg improvements in my 2019 BigHorn eTorque 3.21. The average you see in the top left corner includes one previous fill up which was 100% suburban driving and the current one in progress. Current mpg on this trip / tank is 18.9 and includes 18 miles on expressway, the rest of the 137 is again suburban. Hand calculated was .2 lower (so 18.5) after the first tank
No street racing, but no grandma driving either. I usually accelerate fast up to the speed limit or 3-5 over and keep it at constant speed thereafter, coasting a lot and sometimes even using cruise control on longer stretches. I'm using Pedal Commander at Sport +2 setting.

During the winter months the best I could do was 16.4mpg and that included much more expressway driving. I've been using 87 gas then, though.

d3e28184de49da2218e3682f2a72716d.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hotjava66

Reaction score
Figured I would chime in, got 6k miles on my 2020, Laramie CCLB 5.7 non e torque 3.21. Only change I have made is put on E range tires stock size and splash guards. Average is 13.9 mpg to date, way worse than I expected. I drive very conservatively and watch the instant readout, shows about 15-16mpg at 75 and 18 at 65. Any bit of wind makes a huge difference, with a tailwind the instant lie o meter has said 26mpg at 65 a few times. A stiff headwind will sometimes pull it down into 7th gear. Towing my enclosed cargo trailer gets 6-8 mpg depending on speed. Pretty disappointed with this and towing stability, other than that its a nice truck would love it if those two things were better.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Figured I would chime in, got 6k miles on my 2020, Laramie CCLB 5.7 non e torque 3.21. Only change I have made is put on E range tires stock size and splash guards. Average is 13.9 mpg to date, way worse than I expected. I drive very conservatively and watch the instant readout, shows about 15-16mpg at 75 and 18 at 65. Any bit of wind makes a huge difference, with a tailwind the instant lie o meter has said 26mpg at 65 a few times. A stiff headwind will sometimes pull it down into 7th gear. Towing my enclosed cargo trailer gets 6-8 mpg depending on speed. Pretty disappointed with this and towing stability, other than that its a nice truck would love it if those two things were better.
I agree with the "Any bit of wind makes a huge difference,"

This the main reason I'm hesitant to lift the truck. it will kill the gas mileage of this truck that has an awesome 5.7 HEMI that needs petro to boogie...:unsure:

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine got better once they switched to summer blend gas up here in upstate communist ny state capital region 89 non-eco hemi 3.21 my prior 2014 ram hemi got better gas then this 5th gen

Users who are viewing this thread