5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't understand why people expect to achieve or even get close to the EPA listed numbers driving 80 mph.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
People gotta’ remember that EPA numbers are not based a Rebel, or a option loaded heavy Ltd either.
That doesn’t change the fact that peeps are getting 13 ish mpg and aren’t happy about it, just another flaw in how trucks are rated.

heres a slightly dated (2018) and jaded (from a Chevy dealer) article that touches on the differences: from “valleychevy.com” article title is “2018 Dodge RAM 1500 Gas Mileage vs. The Competition”.

While not really giving much in the way of “trim” level comparisons, it does show the differences between some models, engine and trans choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find Fuelly.com to be very helpful. There, you're getting real world owner data instead of window sticker EPA data, and you're getting accurate data because people have to enter odometer reading and gallons inserted each time, so it removes all the "fishing lies" regarding MPGs.

Millions of total miles logged over the last several model years put the Hemi in the 15 MPG range and the EcoDiesel in the 22 MPG range.

At that rate, I calculated that I'd save $50/month on fuel with the diesel so I went that direction. But, the Hemi did feel STRONG on the test drive. It's certainly a more fun engine. It just has a drinking problem.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I almost got the Penstar V6 because of all the highway miles I do but it wasn't available with the air suspension.
I miss the snappy acceleration of the 3.92's in my last truck. But I love this truck all the same.
I probably could get better mileage if I could drive slower but the legal limit in West Texas is 80 MPH! download.jpeg-3.jpg

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Change your oil to some high quality full synthetic, and put some good 89 minimum octane in the fuel tank and the mileage will go up considerably in my experiences.

timwarner

Reaction score
Anyone else getting less than 14mpg? My 4th gen got way better economy. I know it’s a truck and I don’t expect amazing economy, but i do expect to get what I got out of my 4th gen which was 16-17, and also does anyone have a vibration coming from the drivetrain when In 4wd hi or auto?
https://www.performancechiptuning.com/ram/1500/ Saw this,was going to check it out.It says it will improve 4mpg

rxit

Reaction score
I swapped out my stock air filter with a K&N that I got a deal on and removed the charcoal filter. I was going to get a green filter but found a deal on the K&N from someone who didn't need it.

I do not have etorque and have 3.21 gears.

The tank since the switch is my best so far. All MPGs are as calculated by Fuelly and listed below. I have not had an oil change yet.

I did up the air pressure in my tires about half way thru my first tank.

Too early to know for sure and a small sample size.

16.4, 17.5, 16.3, 18.7

doomtrader

Reaction score
I just made about 500 miles so far and just checked my MPG (normally I'm viewing l/100km) and it shows 11.5 MPG.
It seems to be OK for me.
I drove only 4WD Auto.
Living at suburbs but working in the downtown of one of the most jammed cities in Europe.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I just made about 500 miles so far and just checked my MPG (normally I'm viewing l/100km) and it shows 11.5 MPG.
It seems to be OK for me.
I drove only 4WD Auto.
Living at suburbs but working in the downtown of one of the most jammed cities in Europe.
Was your LPG system a factory option?

doomtrader

Reaction score
LPG was installed by Europenan distributor.
They import trucks from factory, update them to EU regulations (mostly changing lights) but also install LPG.
Then the truck goes to dealer.
It has got all the warranties.

Huge price difference and extra mileage.
1 liter of 95 gasoline is $ 1.25 and 1 liter of LPG is around $ .60

From my experiences with Chryslers T&C usage of LPG is about 10-20% higher than gasoline.
Extra cost of servicing LPG is about $250 a year.

If you would like to install OEM LPG the cost is about $2000-2500 here.

Konrad

Reaction score
LPG was installed by Europenan distributor.
They import trucks from factory, update them to EU regulations (mostly changing lights) but also install LPG.
Then the truck goes to dealer.
It has got all the warranties.

Huge price difference and extra mileage.
1 liter of 95 gasoline is $ 1.25 and 1 liter of LPG is around $ .60

From my experiences with Chryslers T&C usage of LPG is about 10-20% higher than gasoline.
Extra cost of servicing LPG is about $250 a year.

If you would like to install OEM LPG the cost is about $2000-2500 here.

Good G*d. I paid $0.44 / liter ($1.67 / gallon) today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

raven_DT

Reaction score
I typically get 17-18 mpg with a 60-40 highway to city mix. I use 89 or higher octane (@Costco). Sure it doesn't get the same mpg as my old 6.7 but gas is what $.35 per gallon less?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My average MPG right now on the truck is 20.9 MPG the picture is of the Average MPG on the truck which has never been reset since I purchased the truck. [Odometer 13,609]
(This is not a trip average on a tank of gas)

I run 87 non-Ethanol fuel or Pure Gasoline.

I have 3.21 rear end and I have added Rebel Tires and Wheels to the truck. (Goodyear WranglerDuratrac).
If I had the stock tires and wheels my mileage would be even better; probably 22 MPG.
HEMI_AVG_MPG.jpeg

Last edited:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's amazingly good numbers! What's your secret? The ethanol free fuel or low cruise speed?
I give most of the credit to the ethanol free fuel, it has more BTU's and allows the engine to kick into ECO or MDS mode more readily...

As for cruise speeds I do try to follow the posted speed limit.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I give most of the credit to the ethanol free fuel, it has more BTU's and allows the engine to kick into ECO or MDS mode more readily...

As for cruise speeds I do try to follow the posted speed limit.

Truly hard to believe. Ethanol is max 10% so your non-ethanol fuel would be at max maybe 1 MPG better if that.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed mine slowly starting to creep up as I put miles on it, almost to 1k miles and its gone up ~1 mpg. Hovering near 17mpg with mostly city cruising at this point.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm around 3500 miles and it has always been right at 13...mostly city driving.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truly hard to believe. Ethanol is max 10% so your non-ethanol fuel would be at max maybe 1 MPG better if that.
It takes one and a half US gallons of ethanol to equal the energy in one US gallon of gasoline; the reason... because ethanol only has 76,100 BTU's of energy per gallon. Less energy means less miles per gallon.

One US gallon of gasoline contains 114,000 BTU of energy; depending on the time of year, and depending on what is in the gasoline.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ethanol is not good for getting good gas mileage. Here in Iowa corn country, the stuff is everywhere but not many people I know use ethanol. It's not that great of stuff.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It takes one and a half US gallons of ethanol to equal the energy in one US gallon of gasoline; the reason... because ethanol only has 76,100 BTU's of energy per gallon. Less energy means less miles per gallon.
One US gallon of gasoline contains 114,000 BTU of energy; depending on the time of year, and depending on what is in the gasoline.

True, but at most it has 10% ethanol...meaning 90% pure...so do the math as I am not going to. :)

Users who are viewing this thread